Cyprus closes 4 crossings with TRNC due to Corona virus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cyprus closes 4 crossings with TRNC due to Corona virus

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2020, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Exclamation Cyprus closes 4 crossings with TRNC due to Corona virus

This past Saturday (29 Feb 2020), the Republic of Cyprus closed 4 crossings with the TRNC (because of the corona virus they say). Cyprus closes 4 border crossings with the TRNC

I find this very strange as they have not closed all the crossings or the airports and there have been no confirmed cases of the corona virus in the RoC or the TRNC. My suspicions are that this has to do with Turkey allowing refugees cross into the EU now (this happened in the past few days).

There were protests at the Ledra Street crossing the other day.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Crossing closings extended through Monday 9 March

They've extended the crossing closings until Monday 9 March.

And on 7 March, I crossed into the North and back with 10 other people (we went to dinner) at an SBA crossing (Agios Nikolaos) and it was business as usual. No temperature monitoring, the SBA officers were not wearing rubber gloves or masks, no additional questioning.

I am going back over Monday to fill my gas tank and pick up some allergy meds.

The whole thing is ridiculous.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Crossing closures extended through 14 March

I did cross at an SBA crossing on 10 March - more or less business as usual except the SBA police did not even touch my passport when I handed it to him, he just looked in the back of my car (for cigarettes and alcohol, which I never have). The Turkish immigration officers on entry were as normal, the ones on the return (who actually occupy the same very small building/hut) were wearing masks and latex gloves.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:31 pm

Last Thursday, my son returned home to Nicosia after two days with us in Greece. On Friday he received an email from a Government agency telling him to stay at home for 14 days. Then, on Tuesday, he received another email saying that he was no longer required to stay at home. Talking about a well-organized system...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.