Train from BRU to Ostende

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2020, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level

Is it necessary or advisable to buy an advance ticket from BRU to Ostende Brussels? Are the prices the same if you buy online in advance or if you buy on arrival at BRU?

I ask because I am flying into BRU from one destination and a friend is flying in from another destination and we are going to Ostende together, so if either one of us gets delayed we could have a ticket problem if I buy our tickets in advance.

Thanks oh wise FT peoples.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Domestic train tickets in Belgium are fixed-price (and relatively cheap, at that) and seats are non-reservable. So there's no real reason to buy in advance. Once you do buy, one-way tickets are good for any train on the day that you specify at purchase. Return tickets (round-trips) cost 2X one-way and also valid for any train on the days you specify at purchase. Exception: weekend returns cost less than 2 one-ways, and are valid from Friday evening--sorry, I forget what time--through Sunday.

Last edited by Giggleswick; Mar 2, 2020 at 7:26 pm Reason: bad grammar!
Old Mar 3, 2020, 2:06 am

^^ exactly. No reservations, no price changes except for seniors or kids and the weekend round-trip discount, which starts at 1900 on Friday--the outbound has to be on the day you buy but the return can be anytime through the end of service Sunday night. Should you be traveling on the weekend, you have to choose "weekend ticket" on the machine--it will happily sell you a full-fare ticket. You can also break your journey at any point en route (e.g. headed to Oostende you can stop for a beer in Ghent and/or to see the alcoves in Bruges).

The only reason to buy in 'advance' is to avoid waiting in line for the vending machine at the airport station. If I'm taking the train from the airport, I usually buy the ticket in the NMBS/SNCB app while taxiing to the gate.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by der_saeufer
The only reason to buy in 'advance' is to avoid waiting in line for the vending machine at the airport station. If I'm taking the train from the airport, I usually buy the ticket in the NMBS/SNCB app while taxiing to the gate.
This is good advice. Lines in the station can be long at peak arrival time in the morning.
But personally I would buy before departure on their website (selecting the correct date). I have had some bad experiences lately with their app, with the purchase process being interrupted several times which resulted in being charged twice or three times for the same ticket.

If you have luggage, you can also buy your train ticket from the machine in the luggage retrieval area while you wait there.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Great. thanks. What age is a "senior"? 65?
Old Mar 6, 2020, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by Koby
This is good advice. Lines in the station can be long at peak arrival time in the morning.
But personally I would buy before departure on their website (selecting the correct date). I have had some bad experiences lately with their app, with the purchase process being interrupted several times which resulted in being charged twice or three times for the same ticket.

If you have luggage, you can also buy your train ticket from the machine in the luggage retrieval area while you wait there.
Forgot about the vending machines near the bag belts. That's a much better idea because there are rarely lines there; I just got hosed by the app the other day too. Eventually the system does issue refunds for the payments that didn't result in a ticket, at least in my case. But it's annoying.

Originally Posted by STBCypriot
Great. thanks. What age is a "senior"? 65?
Yep, 65. "Senior" tickets are fixed-fare, but they're so cheap (€7.20 return, plus airport surcharge if applicable) that they're always the cheapest option other than on super-short trips.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.