Reload this Page >

European Hotels near Ski resorts on Points

Old Jan 18, 20, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat

I have plenty of HH, IHG, Hyatt and Marriott. Want to use them for a hotel which I can ski from. Don't mind up to a hours drive to reach the slopes.

Any suggestions?
Old Jan 18, 20, 8:45 am

Do you mean up to an hour's drive from the airport to hotel, or from hotel to the slopes? If the latter that makes it a pretty wide net - you can slim that down.

If you have a load of Marriott points to burn plus cash to splash locally, the W Verbier is probably worth looking at.
Old Jan 18, 20, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ldnn1 View Post
Do you mean up to an hour's drive from the airport to hotel, or from hotel to the slopes? If the latter that makes it a pretty wide net - you can slim that down.

If you have a load of Marriott points to burn plus cash to splash locally, the W Verbier is probably worth looking at.
Yeah I meant from Hotel to the slopes as I couldn't find any hotels located in ski towns. If there are any then that would be even better. My preference would be close to the Slopes.

Saw the W Verbier but it's not available on my dates. Any others?
Old Jan 18, 20, 9:23 am

There's this one (not been there): https://www.marriott.co.uk/hotels/tr...design-hotels/

There are also a few other Design Hotels in the Marriott programme near the slopes. And there's an Intercontinental in Davos - again you'd need your wallet at the ready.
Old Jan 18, 20, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

There's this one (not been there): https://www.marriott.co.uk/hotels/tr...design-hotels/

There are also a few other Design Hotels in the Marriott programme near the slopes. And there's an Intercontinental in Davos - again you'd need your wallet at the ready.
Interesting. Thank you. How would I find out which other Design hotels are near the slopes?
Old Jan 18, 20, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by onlysuites View Post
Interesting. Thank you. How would I find out which other Design hotels are near the slopes?
The pics are a good start Click on view all hotels here: https://www.marriott.co.uk/hotel-sea...erland.hotels/
Old Jan 18, 20, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

There are quite a few. Thanks for the heads up. This seems a good link.
Old Jan 18, 20, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Have you been to IC Davos?

I have never been skiing so wanted a good easy place to start. Italian alps are good to right?
Old Jan 18, 20, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by onlysuites View Post
Have you been to IC Davos?

I have never been skiing so wanted a good easy place to start. Italian alps are good to right?
Not been. Tbh most of the main resort areas in the Alps are pretty good but it's worth reading up on the particular resort you're looking at for range of beginner vs. intermediate/advanced slopes. You can find good summary resort guides on various ski websites as well as online papers like the Telegraph.

Davos seems to be not the best rated for beginners but still doable for sure. https://www.skiclub.co.uk/switzerland/resorts/davos
Old Jan 18, 20, 10:40 am

Also I wasn't sure from your OP if you're looking for luxury places (kinda assumed you were). If happy with more rid-range there's an AC by Marriott in Innsbruck and that's a good town to base yourself in if not set on ski-in ski-out. It has various beginner and intermediate slopes easily accessible from town. Flying into there is also great!
Old Jan 18, 20, 1:40 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
Hyatt has a tie up with Small Luxury Hotels (SLH) and Kristiania Lech in Arlberg,Austria is under the partnership. I stayed there before and it is a nice property in a great ski town. Hyatt has the Hyatt Centric in La Rosiere located right in the French Alps.

Otherwise Marriott has some Design Hotels properties like Chandolin Boutique Hotel in Chandolin, Switzerland, and the Cristallo at Cortina d'Ampezzo in Italy. I am not sure if Nira Alpina in Silvaplana near St. Moritz is still part of the Design Hotels partnership as some hotels have withdrawn from it, but that is also a good choice. Another Design Hotel is Hotel Zhero near Ischgl, Austria and they have a van that ferries and picks you up from Ischgl. If you do not mind one hour of journey time, I can recommend staying at cities in Switzerland like Lucerne which has a couple of Marriott properties and the trains are the best way to reach the slopes. Engelberg Titlis is about an hour away, then Hasliberg/Meiringen is about 90 minutes away from Lucerne. Montreux has a Marriott property as well and it is close to several ski resorts that is accessible by train. Another city worth considering is Innsbruck, where there are numerous ski resorts reachable in 40-60 minutes by bus and they have a Marriott property. The hotels in cities are better if you do not plan to ski every day and cheaper by points as well.
Old Jan 18, 20, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thank you so much quirrow and Ldnn1. Great information.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: