Search

Questions about St Moritz and Rhaetian railway

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2019, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Questions about St Moritz and Rhaetian railway

Hello all,

We would like to do the following:

1. Get to Filisur - View the Landwasser viaduct from above and below. I believe walking trails are clearly marked? (especially for the view from above the viaduct?).

2. Would like to ride the open train from Davos to Filisur (or vice versa). (Summer season).
(It may be possible to achieve both of these items on one day.....but, i have to check train schedules, etc)

3. Is there a way to walk and view the Brusio circular viaduct (from Brusio train station)?
4. Ride the Bernina Express (Maybe one way St Moritz to Tirano). And on the way back, take normal trains to Brusio and do the walking tour; then return to hotel on regular trains.

Planning to stay in St Moritz for 3 nights.
Wondering is St Moritz is the ideal location to stay for achieving # 1 to 4 above.

We would prefer to only be in one location for all 3 nights.
Will be in Zurich before and after St Moritz.

Needless to say - we really want to take the time and enjoy the views of these viaducts. We don't really have anything special going on in St Moritz. Just thought it would be a good base.

THank you in advance for your thoughts, suggestions.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 5:35 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by ft4lyf
Hello all,

We would like to do the following:

1. Get to Filisur - View the Landwasser viaduct from above and below. I believe walking trails are clearly marked? (especially for the view from above the viaduct?).

2. Would like to ride the open train from Davos to Filisur (or vice versa). (Summer season).
(It may be possible to achieve both of these items on one day.....but, i have to check train schedules, etc)

3. Is there a way to walk and view the Brusio circular viaduct (from Brusio train station)?
4. Ride the Bernina Express (Maybe one way St Moritz to Tirano). And on the way back, take normal trains to Brusio and do the walking tour; then return to hotel on regular trains.

Planning to stay in St Moritz for 3 nights.
Wondering is St Moritz is the ideal location to stay for achieving # 1 to 4 above.

We would prefer to only be in one location for all 3 nights.
Will be in Zurich before and after St Moritz.

Needless to say - we really want to take the time and enjoy the views of these viaducts. We don't really have anything special going on in St Moritz. Just thought it would be a good base.

THank you in advance for your thoughts, suggestions.
Remember, summer is the rainy season here in Switzerland, so think about a bit of flexibility.

1 and 2 should be easy to do, and you can probably even schedule it on your way in from and/or on the way out to ZRH. Filisur looks like it has left luggage storage, so you can drop bags there CHF 8/day. https://www.rhb.ch/en/service-souven...sur#highlights Otherwise it would be quick in/out from St. Moritz.

I've done the Bernina Express one way in the morning to Tirano, and then back with the normal train. The normal S-Bahn is much slower, and the wagons are not a nice, but in the afternoon, it runs more often. IIRC, since you're staying in St. Moritz, your ticket should be good to Alp Grum. You will need reservations for the Bernina Express. It looks to be a bit of a walk down to the Brusio Viadukt. They had a temporary stop during the 100 year celebration, which we hit exactly by pure luck. But this station is gone. The nearby Plozza winery has some really good wines. I don't know if they do tastings.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Thank you greg5. Yes, we will be flexible with schedule.
Good call on the left luggage storage at Filisur.

Wow, did not know that Brusio station is closed!

Ah I checked SBB just now and it says "Stop on request" for Brusio (on regular trains).

I don't really know how the "stop on request" works. But, anyways, will study it mor

Thank you!

Originally Posted by greg5
Remember, summer is the rainy season here in Switzerland, so think about a bit of flexibility.

1 and 2 should be easy to do, and you can probably even schedule it on your way in from and/or on the way out to ZRH. Filisur looks like it has left luggage storage, so you can drop bags there CHF 8/day. https://www.rhb.ch/en/service-souven...sur#highlights Otherwise it would be quick in/out from St. Moritz.

I've done the Bernina Express one way in the morning to Tirano, and then back with the normal train. The normal S-Bahn is much slower, and the wagons are not a nice, but in the afternoon, it runs more often. IIRC, since you're staying in St. Moritz, your ticket should be good to Alp Grum. You will need reservations for the Bernina Express. It looks to be a bit of a walk down to the Brusio Viadukt. They had a temporary stop during the 100 year celebration, which we hit exactly by pure luck. But this station is gone. The nearby Plozza winery has some really good wines. I don't know if they do tastings.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 7:20 am

Oops. No Brusio is open, there was just a temporary station at the viadukt years ago. Sorry about the confusion. Don't worry, Brusio is still served by the RhB.

'Stop on request' means you just push the stop button before you get to your station. I think the train always stops at Brusio. IIRC, even the Bernina Express stops there.

Thank you greg5. Yes, we will be flexible with schedule.
Good call on the left luggage storage at Filisur.

Wow, did not know that Brusio station is closed!

Ah I checked SBB just now and it says "Stop on request" for Brusio (on regular trains).

I don't really know how the "stop on request" works. But, anyways, will study it mor

Thank you!
Old Jan 1, 2020, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Whew!!
Thank you for confirming that.

So good news that I just have to push a button.

Oops. No Brusio is open, there was just a temporary station at the viadukt years ago. Sorry about the confusion. Don't worry, Brusio is still served by the RhB.

'Stop on request' means you just push the stop button before you get to your station. I think the train always stops at Brusio. IIRC, even the Bernina Express stops there.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 7:54 am
Original Poster

It looks like one can walk from Brusio station till the viaduct. some dirt roads, etc...go through the neighborhood.

Here is a google street view
https://www.google.com/maps/@46.2540...7i13312!8i6656

Hopefully someone can confirm if we are allowed to walk till the bottom of the viaduct.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 9:31 am

Shouldn't be a problem. There are few places in Switzerland you can't walk through. At the end of the line in Tirano, the RhB runs down the middle of the street.

It looks like one can walk from Brusio station till the viaduct. some dirt roads, etc...go through the neighborhood.

Here is a google street view
https://www.google.com/maps/@46.2540...7i13312!8i6656

Hopefully someone can confirm if we are allowed to walk till the bottom of the viaduct.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 10:26 am
Original Poster

^
Thank you!

Shouldn't be a problem. There are few places in Switzerland you can't walk through. At the end of the line in Tirano, the RhB runs down the middle of the street.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.