Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Etias for US citizen traveling EU?

Old Dec 3, 19, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Hello guys,

Have a question ! Is it true starting 2020 we will have to get a travel authorization to travel Europe? https://www.reead.com/en/etias-elect...ion-113392019/

Is there a fee? asking for my wife !

best
Old Dec 3, 19, 12:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Not a requirement for US passport users until at least 2021.
Old Dec 3, 19, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
and yes as the article states there will be a fee.
Old Dec 3, 19, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Even if it really is implemented, it is not until at least 2021 and that is farther out than you can book air travel. I would not give this a second (or first) thought.
GUWonder and ajGoes like this.
Old Dec 4, 19, 7:52 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Originally Posted by marcfrench View Post
Hello guys,

Have a question ! Is it true starting 2020 we will have to get a travel authorization to travel Europe? https://www.reead.com/en/etias-elect...ion-113392019/
You will need it to enter Schengen countries in 2021 or 2022, but you will not necessarily need it to travel to Europe.
Old Dec 4, 19, 8:07 am

To be clear, the proposal would apply in this context to entry to at least all EU Member States. It may be implemented in 2021 and there may be a fee.
Old Dec 4, 19, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Even if it really is implemented, it is not until at least 2021 and that is farther out than you can book air travel. I would not give this a second (or first) thought.
To be clear, the proposal would apply in this context to entry to at least all EU Member States. It may be implemented in 2021 and there may be a fee.
I don't know why you are doubting that ETIAS is going to be implemented.

The regulation was already approved by the EU (including the parliament and the council) and the EU agency in charge of IT (EU-LISA) is already working on it, with a target of 2021. It may get delayed (as most of this kind of projects), but it will not go away.
Old Dec 5, 19, 1:40 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
To be clear, the proposal would apply in this context to entry to at least all EU Member States.
It almost certainly won't apply to Ireland, nor the UK if the UK is still in the EU. It probably won't apply to Croatia, Bulgaria, Romania and Cyprus initially.
Old Dec 5, 19, 1:55 am

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by :D! View Post
It almost certainly won't apply to Ireland, nor the UK if the UK is still in the EU. It probably won't apply to Croatia, Bulgaria, Romania and Cyprus initially.
ETIAS is NOT a Schengen project, but a full-EU project, so non-Schengen EU members will be covered as well (and also non-EU Schengen members)
Old Dec 5, 19, 12:04 pm

https://etias.com

I hadn't heard about this! Based on this website, seems like this is going to happen.
Old Dec 5, 19, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by sophiesophie View Post
https://etias.com

I hadn't heard about this! Based on this website, seems like this is going to happen.
Of course it does. It is a commercial vendor which stands to make money off visa (and similar) processing. There are a number of these scammers out there as I have no doubt that should the EU proceed, it will provide an official website.
Old Dec 5, 19, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by schrodingerdog View Post

The regulation was already approved by the EU (including the parliament and the council) and the EU agency in charge of IT (EU-LISA) is already working on it, with a target of 2021. It may get delayed (as most of this kind of projects), but it will not go away.
Because it is already slipping. Whether it is delayed or not implemented is bureaucrat-speak.

The hysterics would have travelers believing that they need to worry about ETIAS when one can't book an air ticket more than a year out on any IATA carrier. Most, even less.
Old Dec 6, 19, 9:02 am

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by schrodingerdog View Post

It will indeed be implemented in full in some form (under some name or other) at some point in the future, but there is anything but a high chance that it happens before the latter half of 2021. I wouldn't even count on it happening in Q1 2022 at this point, but that is an expectation of mine that is subject to change.
Old Dec 6, 19, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I know it is too early to worry but...
what happens if you travel with a non-EU passport but also have an expired EU passport?
does anybody know if you can enter an EU country with a an expired EU passport from another country?
Old Dec 6, 19, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by keisari View Post
I know it is too early to worry but...
what happens if you travel with a non-EU passport but also have an expired EU passport?
does anybody know if you can enter an EU country with a an expired EU passport from another country?
That really depends on the immigration officer handling you or his/her supervisor: if a logical person, (s)he let you in, otherwise... In other words, it's a gamble.

Search this Thread