Reload this Page >

Etias for US citizen traveling EU?

Etias for US citizen traveling EU?

Old Dec 7, 2019, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by keisari
I know it is too early to worry but...
what happens if you travel with a non-EU passport but also have an expired EU passport?
does anybody know if you can enter an EU country with a an expired EU passport from another country?
As a minimum, expect a long wait at the POE. An expired EU passport might be an indication of EU-citizenship, but not necessarily a proof of such, so the officers might just kick your case one level higher to determine eligibility.

Why don't you just get a new one? Or (depending on the EU country) a national ID card? Less hassle to carry than two passports.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
It will indeed be implemented in full in some form (under some name or other) at some point in the future, but there is anything but a high chance that it happens before the latter half of 2021. I wouldn't even count on it happening in Q1 2022 at this point, but that is an expectation of mine that is subject to change.
Yes, I do agree that it would probably be delayed (they want to implement first the entry-exit system, then ETIAS), even further than 2022. But this kind of online visas keep coming and will not get away.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 4:11 am

what happens if you travel with a non-EU passport but also have an expired EU passport?
does anybody know if you can enter an EU country with a an expired EU passport from another country?
If you are an EU citizen, you MUST present your EU passport / EU ID card when entering an EU state.

No problem if it is expired, but it will take some time to be processed. Anyway you should renew your passport in the consulate.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 7:42 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I would need more details about the countries of relevance, as sometimes it’s allowed pretty quickly and at other times it’s a massive inconvenience. Showing up at CPH or SVG — yes, I know Norway is not EU — or HEL entry passport control with an expired Swedish passport is different than showing up at CPH or ARN with an expired Dutch passport while without any current proof of Dutch citizenship in hand.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
got it
thank you for your comments
Old Dec 7, 2019, 8:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AY Plat
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
ETIAS is NOT a Schengen project, but a full-EU project, so non-Schengen EU members will be covered as well (and also non-EU Schengen members)
This is not correct. ETIAS will apply to the Schengen area only. https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...6:FULL&from=EN

This Regulation constitutes a development of the provisions of the Schengen acquis in which the United Kingdom does not take part, in accordance with Council Decision 2000/365/EC (1); the United Kingdom is therefore not taking part in the adoption of this Regulation and is not bound by it or subject to its application.

This Regulation constitutes a development of the provisions of the Schengen acquis in which Ireland does not take part, in accordance with Council Decision 2002/192/EC (2); Ireland is therefore not taking part in the adoption of this Regulation and is not bound by it or subject to its application.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by schrodingerdog
Yes, I do agree that it would probably be delayed (they want to implement first the entry-exit system, then ETIAS), even further than 2022. But this kind of online visas keep coming and will not get away.
The Entry-Exit system is currently in the RFQ phase. I don’t think implementation will start before end of 2020...
Old Dec 9, 2019, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VitaliU
This is not correct. ETIAS will apply to the Schengen area only. https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...6:FULL&from=EN

This Regulation constitutes a development of the provisions of the Schengen acquis in which the United Kingdom does not take part, in accordance with Council Decision 2000/365/EC (1); the United Kingdom is therefore not taking part in the adoption of this Regulation and is not bound by it or subject to its application.

This Regulation constitutes a development of the provisions of the Schengen acquis in which Ireland does not take part, in accordance with Council Decision 2002/192/EC (2); Ireland is therefore not taking part in the adoption of this Regulation and is not bound by it or subject to its application.
You're quite right here.

I'm not conversant with EU-acquis, so I don't know if RO, BG, HR are cover by the Schengen-acquis and so by the coming ETIAS. Complicated as usual.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 4:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by schrodingerdog
If you are an EU citizen, you MUST present your EU passport / EU ID card when entering an EU state.

No problem if it is expired, but it will take some time to be processed. Anyway you should renew your passport in the consulate.
This is incorrect. Please cite a credible reference to support what you are stating.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite
This is incorrect. Please cite a credible reference to support what you are stating.
I was thinking the same - it is true for the US, but I haven't heard anything about EU countries.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 5:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I was thinking the same - it is true for the US, but I haven't heard anything about EU countries.
Even for the US it is not a black and white as is often made out to be, but yes, for all intents it is required of US citizens to enter the country with their US passport.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 5:50 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AY Plat
You're quite right here.

I'm not conversant with EU-acquis, so I don't know if RO, BG, HR are cover by the Schengen-acquis and so by the coming ETIAS. Complicated as usual.
it appears that Romania, Bulgaria, Croatia and Cyprus are covered by ETIAS. Only countries with grandfathered exemptions (UK and Ireland) are exempt
Old Dec 9, 2019, 6:33 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
It is “true” for the US but is toothless for those who make it to the US at a US port of entry and present themselves in such a way that their identity and US citizenship can be confirmed.

I’ve entered the US a lot as and with US citizens without current US passports. And since then or despite that, Global Entry status is still in good standing and has been otherwise no problem too.

The US law that says US citizens “must” have a US passport has always been full of exceptions that make the law, and that aspect of the law has been a toothless regulation for decades for those recognized US citizens who have shown up at actual US ports of entry without current (or any) valid US passport.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 6:47 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by VitaliU

Link to full website https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...X%3A32018R1240
Old Dec 9, 2019, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
DIRECTIVE 2004/38/EC OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL

of 29 April 2004

on the right of citizens of the Union and their family members to move and reside freely within the territory of the Member States

Article 5

Right of entry

1. Without prejudice to the provisions on travel documents applicable to national border controls, Member States shall grant Union citizens leave to enter their territory with a valid identity card or passport and shall grant family members who are not nationals of a Member State leave to enter their territory with a valid passport.

No entry visa or equivalent formality may be imposed on Union citizens.

2. Family members who are not nationals of a Member State shall only be required to have an entry visa in accordance with Regulation (EC) No 539/2001 or, where appropriate, with national law. For the purposes of this Directive, possession of the valid residence card referred to in Article 10 shall exempt such family members from the visa requirement.

Member States shall grant such persons every facility to obtain the necessary visas. Such visas shall be issued free of charge as soon as possible and on the basis of an accelerated procedure.

3. The host Member State shall not place an entry or exit stamp in the passport of family members who are not nationals of a Member State provided that they present the residence card provided for in Article 10.

4. Where a Union citizen, or a family member who is not a national of a Member State, does not have the necessary travel documents or, if required, the necessary visas, the Member State concerned shall, before turning them back, give such persons every reasonable opportunity to obtain the necessary documents or have them brought to them within a reasonable period of time or to corroborate or prove by other means that they are covered by the right of free movement and residence.

5. The Member State may require the person concerned to report his/her presence within its territory within a reasonable and non-discriminatory period of time. Failure to comply with this requirement may make the person concerned liable to proportionate and non-discriminatory sanctions.

//

An expired passport or ID card is document that states that an EU citizen is covered by the right of free movement and residence.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.