FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Europe (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe-477/)
-   -   OTP airport .... duty free shop currency (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe/1996927-otp-airport-duty-free-shop-currency.html)

Fatdickie Nov 25, 2019 12:21 pm

OTP airport .... duty free shop currency

I'm on a flight from Bucharest. Back to LHR.

I read somewhere (tripadviser but it was from 5 or so years ago) that in the Duty Free shops at the airport OTP, you cannot use up the local currency, LEI, and have to exchange this into Euro at a ridiculous rather, before you can purchase anything.

Is this still the case?

Or can you now use Romanian Lei.

I thought someone must know, with this being a popular destination with TP runs etc

Thanks

(changed typo Budapest to Bucharest, and OTP... Well spotted Nancypants)

nancypants Nov 25, 2019 12:25 pm

Am I missing something? Budapest uses Hungarian Forints

realgaga Nov 25, 2019 12:30 pm

Can't you just use your card instead?

Fatdickie Nov 25, 2019 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by nancypants (Post 31775602)
Am I missing something? Budapest uses Hungarian Forints

Sorry nancypants, my phones auto format changed Bucharest to Budapest. I'm in Romania

Misco60 Nov 25, 2019 12:38 pm

OPI? I wasn't aware that BA served Oenpelli, Northern Territory.

Edit: I see you've changed it, to OPT. Bucharest is OTP. :)

Fatdickie Nov 25, 2019 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by realgaga (Post 31775618)
Can't you just use your card instead?

Yes i could do and hang on to Romanian currency, but I seem to have ended up with more than I thought, as it's so cheap here if you stay out of the tourist bars and restaurants. 😋

nancypants Nov 25, 2019 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Misco60 (Post 31775649)

it would make the WITWIA? thread easier for me and harder for anyone else 😂

it’s early here and the only thing I could associate OPI with was a brand of nail polish

sorry OP, can’t help with the duty free store as I have somehow managed to avoid Romania thus far (the ones in Budapest definitely take local currency though 😉

edit to add: picture of Oenpelli airport because it’ll never get any FT exposure any other way
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...c84abaa41.jpeg

Fatdickie Nov 25, 2019 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Misco60 (Post 31775649)

Edit: I see you've changed it, to OPT. Bucharest is OTP. :)

I really am rubbish at this Nancypants 😂😂😂

nancypants Nov 25, 2019 12:48 pm

You poor thing, seems the title has been changed to OPT so perhaps the mods are suffering the same affliction 😂😂😂

Romanianflyer Nov 25, 2019 4:18 pm

To take the topic from OPI back to OTP (Bucharest Otopeni, named after the town just north of Bucharest where the airport is located), you can pay in Romanian lei (RON) at duty free, although prices are listed in EUR. No need to change beforehand (for sure don't attempt to do so at the airport exchange offices as they have awful rates).

I have unfortunately no clue about the exact exchange rate the duty free will charge for purchases as the 1-2 times I bought something I just paid with card. If you can, spend the money elsewhere or exchange in town. I can't think of anything duty free which is close to a good deal. Eg. half of the wine is Dracula-themed plonk which only tourists would buy, and the few bottles of wine which arr actually good quality command a 50 to 100% premium compared to shops in town. The only reason I can think off to buy smth is when you travel HBO and can't purchase liquids landside.

TPJ Nov 25, 2019 4:23 pm

Has this changed?

Last year they definitely rejected payment in Romanian Lei. As a result still have some Lei left:D

United747 Nov 25, 2019 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by TPJ (Post 31776531)
Has this changed?

Last year they definitely rejected payment in Romanian Lei. As a result still have some Lei left:D

Last month I saw everything in EUR so didn’t even try with Lei. Prices seemed inflated too

Fatdickie Nov 25, 2019 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by United747 (Post 31776784)
Last month I saw everything in EUR so didn’t even try with Lei. Prices seemed inflated too

Strange that on one of the airport duty free sites it shows offer pricing in Lei

Best value?

Oh well just have to have a look this afternoon. . If not i'll just hang on to my Lei currency till August and pay by card in euro

warakorn Nov 26, 2019 6:26 am

I read somewhere (tripadviser but it was from 5 or so years ago) that in the Duty Free shops at the airport OTP,
Duty Free shops -> Where?
Are you sure you don't need to pay any government-imposed duties on these products?

I'm on a flight from Bucharest. Back to LHR.
OP intends to fly from one EU airport to another EU airport. Hence, I really doubt that the so called "Duty Free shop" does not collect government-imposed duties on the products sold.

:D! Nov 26, 2019 8:52 am

When paying by card will the transaction be in EUR, or RON at a poor exchange rate from EUR?