Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

A pre-Christmas Weekend - where? (Into FRA, out of ZRH)

Old Nov 25, 19, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro

I had originally planned on going to Strasbourg the first weekend of December. I found a great deal flying into Frankfurt Thursday and out of Zurich Sunday. I was going to take the train from From Frankfurt, stay in Strasbourg, then train it to Zurich for my flight home.

Then I heard about all the strikes to hit France that weekend. I don't want to deal with that turmoil, so I need to make a change of plans.I was thinking Munich, but that means having to spend all day Saturday on a train to Zurich. I know there's a meetup in Nuremberg that weekend, so that is a possibility if I can figure out how to get from Nuremberg to Zurich in time for my 11:00 am flight, which I have not yet been able to. At this point I am thinking maybe I just take another flight from Frankfurt and go somewhere else in Europe. Any suggestions?
Old Nov 27, 19, 5:02 pm

AFAIK the rail strike is for Thursday only. Consider taking the ICE train from Frankfurt Airport to Freiburg, and visiting the small charming market in Freiburg then taking the train to Breisach (border town) then the 1076 bus from Breisach train station to Colmar for super Christmas markets, then taking the train from Colmar to Zurich Airport. Don't use the Flixbus service ... very unreliable.
Old Dec 7, 19, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
If you have never been in Nuremberg during the Christmas market season it is a must.
Strasbourg looks like a child's fair compared to Nuremberg.
Don't get me wrong. I like Strasbourg very much but the one city to see if Nuremberg

Otherwise how about Bern. It is small but the center of town if wonderful to spend one day.
Old Dec 7, 19, 9:19 pm

Programs: TK Gold
I like smaller places. A few years ago I visited a lovely village called Eltville. It's not too far from FRA and has a lovely hotel built in the old fire station. Wiesbaden is nearby if you want a city experience.

There is a Lufthansa Express bus, 6 times per day between FRA and Strasbourg. From memory it stops somewhere in Strasbourg town then terminates at the Hilton.

Search this Thread