Search

Athens in November & December

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2019, 3:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: *G, OWS
Athens in November & December

Hi Guys,

I’ll be headed to Athens end of November (combined business / sightseeing trip).

I’ll arrive there on Thursday in the early afternoon (end of November), will have to fly out to one of the islands for a meeting on Friday but should be back in Athens in the evening. Saturday I’ve got the full day to explore town, Sunday I’ve got to head back.

Besides the Acropolis, what sights do you guys recommend? Anything special for cold/wet weather?

I’m currently considering booking the Hilton or the Melia. Any other recommendations?
Old Sep 17, 2019, 7:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by frogster
Hi Guys,

I’ll be headed to Athens end of November (combined business / sightseeing trip).

I’ll arrive there on Thursday in the early afternoon (end of November), will have to fly out to one of the islands for a meeting on Friday but should be back in Athens in the evening. Saturday I’ve got the full day to explore town, Sunday I’ve got to head back.

Besides the Acropolis, what sights do you guys recommend? Anything special for cold/wet weather?

I’m currently considering booking the Hilton or the Melia. Any other recommendations?

Location wise you cant beat The King George or Grande Bretagne 9next to one another with my 1st choice being The GB

Walk out the main door to either turn Left cross the road and DONT miss the Changing of the Guards! (if you wait till its all over they invite everyone 1 by 1 to approach and have your pic taken standing next to a guard, using your camera taken by you its not a money scam).

also right out of the hotel and opposite it go right or left to walk into the older sections of the city and enjoy the walk
Old Sep 17, 2019, 8:12 am

And if the weather is not fine you can visit: a) The Archeological Museum; b) The Acropolis Museum; c) The Byzantine Museum; d) The Benaki Museum. If the weather is good just walk through the old city (Plaka) to the Theseion area for a snack or a drink (with/without alcohol depending on your mood and the time of the day). Another possibility is to climb or take the funicular to Mt. Lycabettus and enjoy the view which will include the island you visited (I guess Aigina or Poros or Hydra). If your a "foodie", visit the central market, you'll simply love it. Unfortunately, the change of the guard is on Sundays at 11 am, so if you leave before that, you'll miss it. During the last few days of November, the National Opera will have "My fair lady". First of all, you don't have to understand Greek and second and most importantly, you'll get to visit the new amazing Opera house designed by Renzo Piano and opened a couple of years ago.
SK and :D! like this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: *G, OWS
Originally Posted by craz
Location wise you cant beat The King George or Grande Bretagne 9next to one another with my 1st choice being The GB

Walk out the main door to either turn Left cross the road and DONT miss the Changing of the Guards! (if you wait till its all over they invite everyone 1 by 1 to approach and have your pic taken standing next to a guard, using your camera taken by you its not a money scam).

also right out of the hotel and opposite it go right or left to walk into the older sections of the city and enjoy the walk
King George and the Grand Bretagne exceed the trip budget this time around. I'm there without my SO and travelling (partially) on the company dime.

Any other hotel or restaurant recommendations?
Old Sep 27, 2019, 9:05 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by frogster
King George and the Grand Bretagne exceed the trip budget this time around. I'm there without my SO and travelling (partially) on the company dime.

Any other hotel or restaurant recommendations?
Try Matt's website. This is the most comprehensive best website on Greece. Anything you want to know is here.... this is the page for Athens hotels.

https://www.hotelsofgreece.com/athens/index.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.