Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for 2-3 days road trip from Istanbul and back?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2019, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards

Hi!

I’m very excited for my upcoming visit to Turkey. We will spend 8 full days in the country.

We will fly in to Istanbul and, since it seems there’s a lot to do, we will probably spend around 5-6 days there. After that, we are planning to hire a car and visit Edirne since it’s not too far and I like driving. Are there any nice towns to visit on the way? Should we go to any other place? We’re open to fly if it’s a better option.

Is driving generally safe for someone who only speaks English and Spanish? Is there something that I should be concerned about?

Thank you so much in advance for the help!
Old Sep 18, 2019, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Edirne is a great city but not many attractions and a day would be enough to see there and come back.

If you have time, either fly to Nevşehir ( Cappadoccia ) and visit the surrounding area, you would need a car over there, or fly/drive to Izmir and visit the Ephesus area sights, Aphrodisias, Pamukkale and Bergama area ( Pergamon ), still involving driving. 2 days would be enough for an overview of the places that I have stated.

Unfortunately, the number of people speaking in English is pretty low in Turkey, but nothing to concern about. If the police ask for papers, simply present your driver's license and permit for the car ( ruhsat ) which would be inside the car when you have rented it.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 12:51 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
I find most police or members of the public know enough English for you to get by. With a phase book or a phone app you will be fine.

Erdirne is good for a day trip and you really need to see the Selimiye Mosque, which was the magnum opus of the great Ottoman Architect Mimar Sinan, but it is a day trip.
https://www.kulturportali.gov.tr/por...miivekulliyesi

Aside from Izmir which ISTFlyer suggested is the city of Bursa perhaps the most beautiful city after Istanbul called Green Bursa in Turkish (Yesil Bursa) and draped around the foot of mount Uladag, it is famed for it's fruits and candied chestnuts (kestane sekeri). You can ride the teleferik cable car to mount Uludag, with views across the city. Drink Sarlep with cinnamon if it is cold, visit one of the famed thermal spas, buy silk products is the old silk market (Kozahan) and eat Iskender Kebab (I know people who drive from Izmir to Ankara via Bursa just for that).

You can catch ferries from Istanbul with with BUDO or IDO from multiple points around the city. Or you can get the Motorway which is now very quick, but make sure you have sufficient credit in the automated chargeing for tolls (HGS or OGS) as if I recall correct the fee is tl160 each way.

Have a nice trip.

Last edited by Worcester; Sep 21, 2019 at 1:09 pm
Old Sep 19, 2019, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
As Worcester mentioned, Bursa could also be a nice option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.