Wiki Posts
Search

Day Trips from Vienna

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2019, 2:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by worldiswide
Food is an important part of the visit to Vienna, fulgmuller for schnitzel, it hangs over the plate, and a stop at demel or cafe landman for a chocolate or dessert treat is a good way to take a break. There is also good public transportation. There are many Hofburg musuems, people tend to go to the big one, which has longer lines, but there are also smaller ones that are pretty unusual and beautiful, the state library is amazing, and the globe museum and the esperanto museum. There are also short music concerts at night. They are touristy and a bit expensive, but they are nice music and costume, and sometimes dance as well in nice settings.
Sorry, but Figlmüller is a pretty dreadful tourist trap. I don't know how they cornered the 'we invented Schnitzel' story, but there is no good reason to go here (though thousands of tour groups do.) You can do so much better in Vienna, perhaps at Kern Beisl?
Old Sep 24, 2019, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Figlmüller does a very good schnitzel, tour groups or not. I had the good luck to have a late lunch there, with hardly any other patrons and no tour groups at all. Having said that, I'm sure that there are a million schnitzel places just as good.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
I always like to hear opinions on both sides. That's what makes travel a personal and unique experience. It's hard to go wrong with food in Vienna.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 8:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CarlTheWebmaster
We've been going to both Vienna and Bratislava for decades.

With only a few days, I'd stay in Vienna - there's so much to see and do you can easily fill the two days you'll have there.

Walk in the Vienna woods - https://www.wien.gv.at/english/leisu...ing/paths.html I love Stadtwanderweg1.
Go to https://www.schoenbrunn.at/en/ the Palace and/or zoo
Check out the Technical museum (so cool!) - https://www.technischesmuseum.at/language/en-us/home
Seen "the Third Man"? - great museum here: THIRD MAN MUSEUM :: OPENING TIMES (Open Saturday afternoons).
Walk around the Ringstrasse.
Hofburg palace, Graben/Kartnerstrasse, St. Stephansdom. (Google them).
And do not miss Trzniewski - great little sandwiches - our favorite spot for a quick bite.https://www.trzesniewski.at/filialen/dorotheergasse

Bratislava isn't worth the trip for a two day visit, IMO. Some nice places to visit but with just two days in Vienna your days will be very full and fun.

Edited to add: don't do the boat trip. I spent what seemed like 1000 years of my life going up and down the Danube one afternoon.
Yes stay in Vienna. It's a nice city with lots to do.

Is the classic amusement park closed on your (weekend) dates? Kids should like that, even if it's more of a summer activity.

In addition to castles, there are some nice squares (like the one with the PH) and old churches in the city. How about seeing some historic Crown Jewels?Would they enjoy the classic cake from Vienna? If you go up into the hills or other places for good views, the fall leaves should be nice.

It's too bad that you're too early for the Christmas Market and holiday decorations.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by realworld
What about the Melk Abbey? Welcome to Melk
+1. We stayed here overnight before heading to Vienna on a Summer trip last year. Small town on the river with an amazing Abby, worth a tour. Then head to the river where you can do a boat tour stopping at various towns and wineries along the way. Might be a little chilly in November though, and not sure if the boats are still running at that time of year.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 6:56 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by xychromosome
+1. We stayed here overnight before heading to Vienna on a Summer trip last year. Small town on the river with an amazing Abby, worth a tour. Then head to the river where you can do a boat tour stopping at various towns and wineries along the way. Might be a little chilly in November though, and not sure if the boats are still running at that time of year.
Also, if I remember correctly, the abbey may either be closed to tourists or have limited hours during the winter, beginning in November. Worth checking anyway.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 10:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Figlmüller does a very good schnitzel, tour groups or not. I had the good luck to have a late lunch there, with hardly any other patrons and no tour groups at all. Having said that, I'm sure that there are a million schnitzel places just as good.
OK, we'll have to disagree on that one then. To me it's like suggesting to a visitor to the US that the best burgers are at Five Guys or something like that. Maybe, but you can do better!
WilcoRoger and :D! like this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: *G
Figlmüller is even a divisive choice amongst locals. It's not a total tourist trap -- that is, made for and patronized exclusively by (unknowing) foreigners. It is a popular, safe choice. As schnitzel isn't a terribly complex dish that requires specialization, I'd steer people towards a place like Glacis Beisl, Landtmann, Woracziczky, or something similar that has generally good food AND schnitzel
Old Sep 27, 2019, 10:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by deniah
Figlmüller is even a divisive choice amongst locals. It's not a total tourist trap -- that is, made for and patronized exclusively by (unknowing) foreigners. It is a popular, safe choice. As schnitzel isn't a terribly complex dish that requires specialization, I'd steer people towards a place like Glacis Beisl, Landtmann, Woracziczky, or something similar that has generally good food AND schnitzel
What is your opinion on Fabios?
Old Sep 27, 2019, 2:18 pm

Melk and whole Wachau valley was amazing. I recommend to go by bike, take time and stop in some villages (like Durnstein or Spitz) and by the Danube.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by LondonElite
What is your opinion on Fabios?
Actually haven't tried that, though I know it's popular. After trying similar like da moritz, al borgo, or danieli, I can't get too excited about actual food of Italian, Mediterranean, or even continental style in this city.

When we take out personal guests, it's more based on ambience, location, mood, etc, then food. So places like Steirerstöckl, Sofitel rooftop, Schweizerhaus, etc.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 2:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Marriott Gold
I would also recommend Bratislava from Vienna - a much shorter journey than to Budapest and a lovely city to visit. Although there are plenty of things to do in and around Vienna (most of which have already been mentioned) for the 3/4 days you are there.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
For ambience, there is also the Grinzing - but I must admit my last time there was before the general onslaught of Chinese tour groups on Europe, so that might have changed.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
For ambience, there is also the Grinzing - but I must admit my last time there was before the general onslaught of Chinese tour groups on Europe, so that might have changed.
I was there a couple of months ago walking around. Didn't see a bunch of Chinese tour groups (that are still ubiquitous in the city). However, I was there at night for dinner. So, maybe the tour groups are there in the daytime. Maybe as part of a trip up to Kahlenberg.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Hi everyone-- thanks for all of the great suggestions. There's clearly enough to do and eat in Vienna without leaving town. If we do decide to head out, I think we've settled on a trip to the ruins of Durnstein Castle. From reading various other threads, it sounds like the best way to get there via public transportation is a train from Vienna to Krems (and it looks like the most economical approach for the family would be an einfach-raus ticket for the train), and then connect to the Wl1 bus in Krems to Durnstein, before walking up to the ruins. Does that sound right, or is there a better way to get there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.