Walking to Geneva airport?

Old Aug 27, 19, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club

Hi everybody

Is it allowed and feasible?

The FlixBus Lyon - Geneva arrives at 0:55.
I guess there is not any public transport at this time.
AF1243 flight departs at 7:20 in the morning.

Also will the airport be opened at 2:15-2:30 ish am ( GGM indicates a 1h and 3 min - 4,8km trip to reach the airport)?
If not what do you advise?

Many thanks for your help
Old Aug 27, 19, 7:25 pm

It is both allowed and feasible, and it is obviously safe (you're talking about Switzerland!) both traffic-wise and crime-wise. Keep it mind, for about 3/4 of it is uphill (not very steep) and 1/4 downhill. But allow me a question to you: why did you choose such a long and weird way to get to Paris from Lyon, in addition spending a night in Geneva? Taking the train would have been much, much faster, cheaper and you could have spent the night in a bed!
Old Aug 27, 19, 8:52 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, GHA Black
Walking from Cornavin to the airport? That has to be at least like a 45min-1hr walk, no?
Old Aug 27, 19, 9:24 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), AA OWE (EXP), IHG Plat
With bag(s)? It might be like 2 hours... What, if it rains?
Old Aug 27, 19, 9:55 pm

Flixbus drops at Gare Routiere, doesn't it? About 10 minutes walk to Cornavin. I think there's a night bus that runs to the airport at like quarter after one. Bigger issue is (I think) GVA closes after the last flight of the night. Doors locked.
I'd check carefully before heading out there.
Old Aug 27, 19, 11:27 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, GHA Black
OP could also take a taxi, but if memory serves me right the trip is like 50-60 CHF ... in the daytime.
Old Aug 28, 19, 12:16 pm
:D!
IHG Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Originally Posted by shuigao View Post
OP could also take a taxi, but if memory serves me right the trip is like 50-60 CHF ... in the daytime.
Not sure suggesting a taxi is appropriate for someone who has taken a Flixbus and doesn't want to pay for a hotel room
shuigao, Koby and keisari like this.
Old Aug 28, 19, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA
Airport is closed from 0:00 to 4:00 -- from the website FAQ section:

".For security reasons, the airport is closed from 00:00 to 04:00. Unfortunately passengers are not allowed to stay inside the terminal while the airport is closed. More than 130 hotels in all price ranges in Geneva: the choice is yours. Consult the full list of Geneva hotels, safely book online. If you cannot afford to go to a hotel, we recommend that you contact a Geneva youth hostel, +4122 732 62 60 or +4122 901 15 00".

Last edited by arttravel; Aug 28, 19 at 12:17 pm Reason: edited for clarity
Old Aug 28, 19, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KLouis View Post
It is both allowed and feasible, and it is obviously safe (you're talking about Switzerland!) both traffic-wise and crime-wise. Keep it mind, for about 3/4 of it is uphill (not very steep) and 1/4 downhill. But allow me a question to you: why did you choose such a long and weird way to get to Paris from Lyon, in addition spending a night in Geneva? Taking the train would have been much, much faster, cheaper and you could have spent the night in a bed!
Thanks for the reply with the precious infos.
You have a valid question here
There is (or was?) a somewhat good deal with Kenya Airways between DXB and GVA via NBO - GVA being a new route for KQ. At no extra cost, one can take the flight via CDG (and NBO).
Having already flown the DXB-GVA journey along with a DIRECT and well timed FlixBus Geneva to Montpellier a few weeks ago (that allowed to stroll around the lake though for 3h or so), next week will see the return trip. Unfortunately, due to work commitments, the best way to be at GVA at 5 am forces to take the last TGV at Montpellier (20:04 ) to Lyon Perrache then 40 min after the 22:30 FlixBus to Geneva Gare Routière, the eve. Fingers crossed no delay from SNCF .
Hope it makes sense for you
Old Aug 28, 19, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TPJ View Post
With bag(s)? It might be like 2 hours... What, if it rains?
Fortunately no bag(s), also the Geneva weather forecast shows scattered showers until 9am Monday morning only
Old Aug 28, 19, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rickg523 View Post
Flixbus drops at Gare Routiere, doesn't it? About 10 minutes walk to Cornavin. I think there's a night bus that runs to the airport at like quarter after one. Bigger issue is (I think) GVA closes after the last flight of the night. Doors locked.
I'd check carefully before heading out there.
That's right, arriving at Gare Routière with Flixbus.
Do you have more info about that night bus to airport?
Old Aug 28, 19, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by flying_blue_white_red View Post
That's right, arriving at Gare Routière with Flixbus.
Do you have more info about that night bus to airport?
Here you go. Fill in the info for your travel.
Route Planner - Transports publics genevois
Old Aug 28, 19, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by :D! View Post
Not sure suggesting a taxi is appropriate for someone who has taken a Flixbus and doesn't want to pay for a hotel room
LOL, but as explained above - choice was extremely narrow, hence does it really matter to take a taxi to an airport already closed. What about a room for a 4 hour stay?
But feel free to share any cheap suggestions around for a such short night....

Search this Thread