Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Crete - rental car

Crete - rental car

Old Aug 21, 19, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Crete - rental car

I will be arriving at HER rather late on a Sat evening (arrival scheduled at 8:10 pm) in early October.

I am debating if I should just take a taxi to Agios Nikolaos that night and pick up my rental car Sat morning - or just drive myself that night. Last time I was there, I didn't think traffic was that bad driving east on the main road but it was November (I was driving around 7-8 pm). I will be extremely tired as it will have taken me a day and a half to get there.

Would I have to pay extra if I pickup in Agios Nikolaos and return to HER? ClubCars shows they have an office there. Would they be open on a Sunday?
Old Aug 21, 19, 12:04 pm

I rented in Chania and returned in Heraklion without a drop off charge (company had offices in both cities). I rented from Gelasakis.
Taxis are (relatively) cheap on Crete, and often used for intercity travel, so if you can arrange a no-charge rental car drop, under the circumstances, I'd just grab a cab that first night.
Old Aug 21, 19, 5:00 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sophiesophie View Post
I will be arriving at HER rather late on a Sat evening (arrival scheduled at 8:10 pm) in early October.

I am debating if I should just take a taxi to Agios Nikolaos that night and pick up my rental car Sat morning - or just drive myself that night. Last time I was there, I didn't think traffic was that bad driving east on the main road but it was November (I was driving around 7-8 pm). I will be extremely tired as it will have taken me a day and a half to get there.

Would I have to pay extra if I pickup in Agios Nikolaos and return to HER? ClubCars shows they have an office there. Would they be open on a Sunday?
It's an easy 50 minute drive. Not sure I would do it at night though for the first time. Where are you staying..... that might make a difference. Make sure whatever rental agent you use...they include insurance. We just rented a car from The Best and it was excellent. New car, easy pick-up, etc.

https://www.thebestcars.gr/rentacar/en/home.html?
Old Aug 21, 19, 7:50 pm

Driving at night on a Cretan road after a 20 hours long trip is something I would hate doing as one really increases, by several orders of magnitude, the possibility of landing in a hospital (if one's lucky). It may be cheaper than taking a taxi, though, if you spend the night at a city hotel in Heraklion and drive to Agios Nikolaos the next morning after a good night's sleep. You could even pre-arrange to then have the car delivered to you at your hotel: all small, local rental agencies do that at no extra cost!
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 23, 19, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KLouis View Post
Driving at night on a Cretan road after a 20 hours long trip is something I would hate doing as one really increases, by several orders of magnitude, the possibility of landing in a hospital (if one's lucky). It may be cheaper than taking a taxi, though, if you spend the night at a city hotel in Heraklion and drive to Agios Nikolaos the next morning after a good night's sleep. You could even pre-arrange to then have the car delivered to you at your hotel: all small, local rental agencies do that at no extra cost!
I have contacted a few rental places and asked about getting the car on Sunday morning in Agios Nikolaos and how that would work. Is it delivered to me - or do I need to go to an office there? They don't answer me - just that a car is available. Do you now how this works? I said above that I would pickup Sat morning, but it should have said Sunday morning (geez - I'm already tired!) I don't want to reserve then get an unexpected charge for this. I don't mind paying a little more, just don't want to be blindsided.
Old Aug 23, 19, 3:03 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sophiesophie View Post
I have contacted a few rental places and asked about getting the car on Sunday morning in Agios Nikolaos and how that would work. Is it delivered to me - or do I need to go to an office there? They don't answer me - just that a car is available. Do you now how this works? I said above that I would pickup Sat morning, but it should have said Sunday morning (geez - I'm already tired!) I don't want to reserve then get an unexpected charge for this. I don't mind paying a little more, just don't want to be blindsided.
Why are you committed to renting from a company that can't give you a straight answer? There are better alternatives. Most reputable companies deliver to your hotel or a mutually agreed location. Shouldn't be this hard.
Old Aug 23, 19, 3:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Don't try to drive on Crete when you're exhausted. If you're not a local (and don't have lots and lots of experience driving there), it's difficult even under good conditions without traffic, when you know the way, and when you're not tired.
Old Aug 23, 19, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

I'm not committed to any company. I've contacted 2 so far and they don't answer that question.

As for driving when I am tired, I don't want to. Last time, I did drive and I missed my exit twice (signs in Greek/American Greek/American - by the time you see the name you are looking for - you miss it!). I was driving on the main highway towards Agios Nikolaos, but needed to turn off to drive south. Not sure how far east I got before I was able to turn around but it was quite far. It was early November and there was very little traffic that night. I have no idea of the traffic on the highway in early October. I suspect it might be busier than November. The highway to AN is not a concern unless it could be crazy traffic.

I will continue to contact rental places to see if I can get an answer that I am comfortable with.
Old Sep 4, 19, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

I got my rental car figured out - I am picking it up on Monday morning in Agios Nikolaos. I won't need it until then anyway!

Do you think I need to make a reservation with a taxi company or can I rely on any cab at the airport?
Should there be a flat fee for a trip to Agios Nikolaos?
What kind of tip is expected?

Thanks!
Old Sep 5, 19, 5:37 am

Never done it (I drive my own car), but I guess it should be around 755 €. "Flat fees" are indicated at the airport or ask the cabbie; there should be plenty of cabs waiting on line and every driver will be very glad to get such a fare. If it does cost as much as I said, anything above 3-5€ would be slightly exagerated.
Old Sep 5, 19, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KLouis View Post
Never done it (I drive my own car), but I guess it should be around 755 . "Flat fees" are indicated at the airport or ask the cabbie; there should be plenty of cabs waiting on line and every driver will be very glad to get such a fare. If it does cost as much as I said, anything above 3-5 would be slightly exagerated.
Efcharisto!
Old Sep 6, 19, 6:32 am

Παρακαλώ, νά 'σαι καλά and enjoy your stay!

Search this Thread