FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Europe (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe-477/)
-   -   Transfers from IST to city centre (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe/1982834-transfers-ist-city-centre.html)

cjoco Aug 13, 2019 1:44 pm

Transfers from IST to city centre

Hi. anyone have recommendations on transfer service from IST to city centre thanks

ISTFlyer Aug 13, 2019 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by cjoco (Post 31412450)
Hi. anyone have recommendations on transfer service from IST to city centre thanks

Hi cjoco and welcome to FT,

Personally, as a local, I would suggest you use a taxi which would be much cheaper than a private transfer. Private transfers are generally tourist scams and definitely not worth it.
Also, do not accept any transportation offers within the terminal ( by individuals or tour agency offices ) and go to the official taxi rank located outside the terminal which is also signposted.

A local taxi would cost €15-40 ( depending on where your hotel is ), while a transfer would cost more than €50 and some have been reported that some companies quote more than €150 for a transfer.

Stewie Mac Aug 14, 2019 3:41 am

ISTFlyer - are there plenty of taxis at the new airport? I recall someone (hfly?) talking about comparatively few taxis being licensed at the new airport compared to Ataturk, and that there might be shortages. [I'm back next month for the first time to the new airport]
thanks

dutchgirlDH Aug 14, 2019 6:42 am

Plenty of taxis at the new airport, better that at Ataturk. If you want a little more comfort take a blue cab, they are also at the rank and will be called for you if you want one. Newer and bigger cars for only a little more in fare.

ISTFlyer Aug 14, 2019 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Stewie Mac (Post 31414400)
ISTFlyer - are there plenty of taxis at the new airport? I recall someone (hfly?) talking about comparatively few taxis being licensed at the new airport compared to Ataturk, and that there might be shortages. [I'm back next month for the first time to the new airport]
thanks

They have increased the number of taxis at Istanbul Airport and there shouldn't be shortages anymore.

Originally Posted by dutchgirlDH (Post 31414813)
Plenty of taxis at the new airport, better that at Ataturk. If you want a little more comfort take a blue cab, they are also at the rank and will be called for you if you want one. Newer and bigger cars for only a little more in fare.

Yes, blue cabs are a bit more comfortable and %15 expensive than the yellow ones.
However, not to be confused with the black ones, called as luxury taxis, which charge two times of the yellow ones.

dmcd38 Aug 22, 2019 9:44 am

metro is reliable? i used metro everytime i was in istambul and liked it!

ISTFlyer Aug 23, 2019 1:40 am

Originally Posted by dmcd38 (Post 31444129)
metro is reliable? i used metro everytime i was in istambul and liked it!

The metro is reliable but it doesn't go to the airport.

Stewie Mac Sep 2, 2019 10:39 am

ordering taxi - Uber vs BiTaksi ?

I have used Uber before in IST, although I tend to just get taxis using the BiTaksi app if there are none to hail. Looking at the Uber app just now (checking approx prices from new airport) and see that it just gives the same taxi options as BiTaksi. Is there any benefit/disadvantage to using one over the other? Uber is marginally easier for me in an expenses-tracking way, but I have a general preference for the underdog, so would use BiTaksi unless there is something I'm missing.

Thanks