Wiki Posts
Search

Passport Control Time from New Star Alliance Lounge at AMS

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2019, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Various
Passport Control Time from New Star Alliance Lounge at AMS

I'm flying out of AMS to the U.S. in the near future, and I'm interested in checking out the new Star Alliance lounge. Since it is in the Schengen area, I know that I'll need to clear passport control before getting to my gate. Does anyone have experience doing that, or have a sense of how long that passport control takes? Thanks!
Old Aug 2, 2019, 9:05 am

It can be anything from no queue to 30-45 minutes.
Be aware though, you won't generally be allowed to pass security in the schengen side when holding a non-schengen boarding pass
farci and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Ditto
It can be anything from no queue to 30-45 minutes.
Be aware though, you won't generally be allowed to pass security in the schengen side when holding a non-schengen boarding pass
The wait to enter Schengen at AMS after arriving from a non-Schengen destination seems to take me from no wait time to about 25-45 minutes; but it’s mostly not longer than 15 minutes for me most times.

When I show my US passport to enter Schengen at AMS upon arrival from non-Schengen airports, they generally don’t ask me for my boarding pass. [I almost am always just using AMS for transits.] I’ve done non-Schengen to non-Schengen transits at AMS where I went to the Schengen airside area for no reason other than to meet people and was just by as a tourist. They don’t generally ask me for boarding passes or my destination, but on my arrival to AMS last month from the US, AMS passport control thought I was a Lithuanian criminal/fugitive and slowed me down a bit because of that; but even then they didn’t ask for my onward boarding pass.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 3, 2019 at 1:28 pm
Old Aug 4, 2019, 6:25 am

The problem might not be going through the immigration between schengen/non-schengen but actually entering the schengen side via security, of course one can opt to pass immigration 3 times but that seems a bit too much just to visit a lounge, even with no queues.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 10:23 am
Suspended

Was at the lounge yesterday and it is nice.

As for the passport control on the way back to your gate: They have a priority line at the checkpoint not for premium pax but for those pressed for time. You have staff there calling out "if your flight leaves 09:45 or earlier (or such), step over here."

So I think it's fair to assume a wait time of no longer than 20 min on your way to the gate of the US-bound flight.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the feedback, with positives and negatives! It seems like a bit of a risk, even with the 'pressed-for-time' line. I'll see how it looks when I arrive at the airport, and report back when I decide what to do (and the result).
Old Aug 11, 2019, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
I'm considering doing that this coming Sunday, but might not bother. Will be nice to have a decent lounge at AMS for a change!
Old Aug 12, 2019, 6:19 am

Programs: A3 *G, Hilton Diamond, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
I'm considering doing that this coming Sunday, but might not bother. Will be nice to have a decent lounge at AMS for a change!
We visited this lounge yesterday while waiting on our flight to Frankfurt. I cannot comment on the passport wait times but the lounge was very nice.

We were there 1.5 hours and at no time was there more than eight people at any one time.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:53 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
As GUWonder reported, was never asked for BP from non-Schengen to Schengen. Passports from certain countries going from Schengen to non-Schengen should be able to use electronic gates for clearance and if there is a queue, they will ask for passengers to identify themselves if they have a short connection to skip the queue.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mechteach
Thanks for all of the feedback, with positives and negatives! It seems like a bit of a risk, even with the 'pressed-for-time' line. I'll see how it looks when I arrive at the airport, and report back when I decide what to do (and the result).
The day of our flight, there was some sort of huge mess going on at AMS - I have no idea why (it seemed like there was some sort of computer system error, but that is just an observational guess). All of the security lines were severely backed up, so we decided not to even try to do this. That was a good thing, since the passport lines were also a mess, and we ended up getting to our gate as the flight was boarding, without stopping at any lounge.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 12:03 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mechteach
The day of our flight, there was some sort of huge mess going on at AMS - I have no idea why (it seemed like there was some sort of computer system error, but that is just an observational guess). All of the security lines were severely backed up, so we decided not to even try to do this. That was a good thing, since the passport lines were also a mess, and we ended up getting to our gate as the flight was boarding, without stopping at any lounge.
There is some kind of system issue at AMS passport control where they can’t keep some electronic markers separate. When the electronic searches are done in such a way that results in systemic slowdowns amongst other things — like what I reported above about “my” Lithuanian super-criminal status.
mechteach likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 12:51 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Flying AMS-IAH in UA J today. Tried to get into Schengen side several ways, roundly denied. They have humans checking BPs at most access points, and when I tried the electronic gate, was also denied. Guess I’ll hafta wait for a Schengen flight or connection to check the lounge. OP, don’t waste your time. It’s a pity that the lounge options here are so rubbish.
mechteach likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 7:52 am
Original Member

Flying AMS-IAH in UA J today. Tried to get into Schengen side several ways, roundly denied. They have humans checking BPs at most access points, and when I tried the electronic gate, was also denied. Guess I’ll hafta wait for a Schengen flight or connection to check the lounge. OP, don’t waste your time. It’s a pity that the lounge options here are so rubbish.
You need to go airside non-Schengen to airside Schengen. Never been asked for BP; last time was 3 months ago.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by seawolf

You need to go airside non-Schengen to airside Schengen. Never been asked for BP; last time was 3 months ago.
Going through passport control 3 times in the course of a couple hours? You must be joking.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 11:39 pm
Original Member

Going through passport control 3 times in the course of a couple hours? You must be joking.
Nothing wrong with that. A couple of years ago I flew SIN FRA and forgot to claim my baggage. Went back airside non-Schengen, enter Schengen again to get to baggage claim.

This thread is to provide information. It’s up to you to decide what you do with it.
kirkwoodj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.