Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Royal Brunei vs Vietnam Airlines Business Class?

Old Jul 29, 19, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

I'm currently on the hunt for a one way business class ticket from Australia (preferably BNE) to Europe (preferably CDG or FRA) in late december (~between 20th-28th of December).

I've done my research and the cheapest price will still be around 1400€ which I understand considering the travel dates stated above.

I've collected about 39.800 skywards miles and an upgrade from economy to business on either DBX - CDG or BNE - SIN would be 39.000 skyward miles.

1st option would be:

BNE - BWN - DBX (with Royal Brunei Airlines)

DBX - CDG (Emirates)

Total Cost ≈ 2300€

2nd option would be:

BNE - SIN (Emirates)

--- Long Layover (8hrs) ---

SIN - HAN - CDG (Vietnam Airlines)

Total Cost ≈ 1500€

Although the 2nd option involves 2 quite long layovers it still seems like the better option to me considering it is almost 1000€ cheaper than option 1. I feel like I'll however miss out on Emirate's amazing service as it looks like I'd be sleeping about 90% of the flight time.

Would appreciate any suggestions, advice and tips as I've never flown business on any of the carriers mentioned.

Thanks!

Old Jul 30, 19, 10:21 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
I don't know what Royal Brunei are like, but 7 hours on a narrowbody!! I would also worry about that relatively tight connection in BWN. Any delay to your departure from BNE and you risk the connection, and presumably lose your Emirates ticket?

100% would pick the second itinerary. The layover in SIN is long enough to go into town for a few hours, and well timed for it too. And Vietnam Airlines is supposed to be very good, although I've only flown domestic. Again, good flight times for the leg to Europe. The only real downside for me is the 5.5 hours in HAN.
Old Jul 30, 19, 10:30 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Also, I don't know if it's showing for you, but just had quick look on Google Flights and I see what looks like a better option for Vietnam Airlines routing SIN-SGN-CDG on the 22nd.

Depart SIN at 2025, 1h40 layover in SGN, depart SGN 2315. Slightly more than your FRA flight at £850.

Not much difference in overall duration, but you have a shorter connection in SGN and more usable time to spend a full day in SIN. Also, both legs on A350.

https://flights.app.goo.gl/ehzPW
Old Jul 30, 19, 10:48 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
I would go with the second option
Old Jul 30, 19, 11:14 am

Programs: QF WP
You may or not be aware but Royal Brunei is a dry airline ie no alcohol

i believe if you bring your own booze from duty free they’ll supply glassware etc but I could be wrong
Old Jul 30, 19, 11:20 am

Definitely the second option with EK + Vietnam Airlines. Would even choose them if the price was about the same, thus it being much cheaper makes it a no brainer to me. And yeah, Brunei is as dry as it gets (ie, not even BYOD like on Egypt Air..)
Old Jul 31, 19, 4:04 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, I'll be looking into the 2nd option!

I've just contacted Emirates about upgrade availability and sadly there are 0 seats available in all of December.

I guess I'll have to fly economy to SIN then...
Old Jul 31, 19, 4:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mad_rich View Post
Also, I don't know if it's showing for you, but just had quick look on Google Flights and I see what looks like a better option for Vietnam Airlines routing SIN-SGN-CDG on the 22nd.

Depart SIN at 2025, 1h40 layover in SGN, depart SGN 2315. Slightly more than your FRA flight at £850.

Not much difference in overall duration, but you have a shorter connection in SGN and more usable time to spend a full day in SIN. Also, both legs on A350.

https://flights.app.goo.gl/ehzPW

Thanks for the tip, this definitely looks a lot better!
Old Jul 31, 19, 4:32 am

Do let us know what you end up booking. I love it when an itinerary comes together!
Old Jul 31, 19, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mad_rich View Post
Do let us know what you end up booking. I love it when an itinerary comes together!
I definitely will.

Just a bit of a .... situation now with the EK flight having no upgrade availability...
Old Jul 31, 19, 7:12 am

I flew Vietnam airlines a few years ago in business.
I wrote a trip report here: Vietnam Airlines HKG-LHR in J

Overall, my experience on-board was very good. There were a few niggles such as the lounges aren't the greatest and the meal on the HKG-SGN sector being not so nice. But for the prices they charge, I was extremely happy.

I've also flown Royal Brunei in economy short-haul. I was unimpressed.
Old Aug 1, 19, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for helping out!

I’ve just booked SYD-CDG all in Vietnam Airlines J class.

SYD-SGN (B787)
SGN-HAN (A350)
HAN-CDG (A350)
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 1, 19, 6:29 am

Price?
Old Aug 1, 19, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

1800€ (One way) - Not cheap but it’s only going to get more expensive

Search this Thread