Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Transit from Schengen to Asia: ZRH vs FRA

Old Jul 17, 19, 5:54 am
Original Poster

I am asking this question on behalf of my best friend, who has traveled quite a lot, but is not good at directions outside the US. He will travel from Berlin to Seoul via HKG.

There is an itinerary on LH (TXL to FRA or ZRH) and then CX (to HKG and then ICN) that looks ok to him.

However, there is a dilemma: ideally, transit via ZRH is better than FRA (the worst major airport I have been to). Yet, the transit time via ZRH is only 1 hr 10 min, whereas for FRA is 1 hr 50 min. Which one is better? The transit time in FRA is longer, but FRA can be a zoo, if he is unlucky. He does have e-passport access for German immigration, but my prior experience shows that many a time, the stupid machines don't work.

What do you recommend?

Also, even in FRA, does he have to go through security again? Thanks.
Old Jul 17, 19, 2:00 pm

No security in either FRA or ZRH when connecting from TXL, just passport control.

I'd pick ZRH for ease of transfer.
Old Jul 18, 19, 5:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
70 minutes to transfer ZRH is plenty on such an itinerary.

I have even made Schengen-Non-Schengen transits at ZRH when delays shrunk the transit time to 25-30 minutes — it’s not a fun rush at that point but it was do-able. It used to be easier to do before Swiss passport control started taking me more than a minute or two in line (if even that), but now at times it has taken me as long as 10-15 minutes to exit Schengen there. I miss the days when ZRH used to just look at my passport covers and wave me in/out without opening the passports. I even miss the days at ZRH before they started to always swipe passports.

I still prefer ZRH over FRA, by a wide margin.
:D! likes this.
Old Jul 18, 19, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
Is this all on one ticket? because if it's separate ones he isn't connecting and so will have to deplane, collect luggage and then recheck etc and that will add significantly to the time needed
Old Jul 19, 19, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
Is this all on one ticket?
Yes, this is all one ticket sold by CX.

Interestingly, only Expedia sells the itinerary with transit at ZRH. If I use CX's website, then it only shows itineraries via FRA. Not sure if this means that CX doesn't want me to fly via ZRH.
Old Jul 19, 19, 2:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK M&S Elite Plus, KE SPC, PC Bolbol, KK Brnz, LCA Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy
ZRH would be less painless without security to clear again.
If you prefer FRA, you would need to change terminals and clear security again.
A 1h10min transfer in ZRH is doable.
Old Jul 19, 19, 2:59 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
100% Zurich
Old Jul 20, 19, 3:26 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
I miss the days when ZRH used to just look at my passport covers and wave me in/out without opening the passports.
I remember one border guard waving people with swiss passports through as quick as they could run through the checkpoint. Even worked for me with a B-Permit at the time. I've been upgraded to the '+' permit now though.
Old Jul 21, 19, 6:54 pm
nrr

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; 2MM AA Delta Platinum
In ZRH do they try to equalize the pp check for the various areas?
I've arrived from LHR a few times (landed at noon at an E gate) a flight from Belarus had arrived at the adjacent E gate, hence two plane loads of pax had to negotiate E pp agents. There is a passageway leading to other gate areas A, B/D--would clearing pp control at either of these have been better?
Old Jul 22, 19, 2:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nrr View Post
In ZRH do they try to equalize the pp check for the various areas?
I've arrived from LHR a few times (landed at noon at an E gate) a flight from Belarus had arrived at the adjacent E gate, hence two plane loads of pax had to negotiate E pp agents. There is a passageway leading to other gate areas A, B/D--would clearing pp control at either of these have been better?
It depends on which flights land at the same time.

Search this Thread