FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Europe (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe-477/)
-   -   Zurich 5 days - recommendations (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe/1977974-zurich-5-days-recommendations.html)

keisari Jul 13, 2019 6:03 pm

Zurich 5 days - recommendations

Have been to Zurich a couple of times before but many years ago.
Will be arriving early morning Tuesday and leaving Sunday in early October
My plan so far:
Tuesday: arrive early and either walking tour or city tour alone or combined with lake cruise or top of mountain views of Zurich
Wed: full day tour of Jungfrau with Grayline
Thurs: travel on my own to Lucerne for the day or combine Lucerne and Bern in one day (I know they are in opposite directions); any suggestions here?????
Friday: any suggestions of day trips? either guided or alone? options I have seen: Black Forest, Heidiland or some other mountain trip
Saturday: there is an 11 am chocolate trip and then just hang out in town. Open to suggestions

Are there any music venues I should see (open to any type) or any original/special museums/exhibitions you recommend?

Thank you in advance.

KLouis Jul 13, 2019 7:19 pm

One word of caution: It will be October, statistically you'll have overcast skies, cool temperatures and rain/drizzle. Just be prepared...

keisari Jul 13, 2019 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by KLouis (Post 31300827)
One word of caution: It will be October, statistically you'll have overcast skies, cool temperatures and rain/drizzle. Just be prepared...

I know. This is a stopover from a longer trip and did not have many options.
On the bright side I hope to see snow on the mountains and maybe even snow falling

KLouis Jul 13, 2019 7:29 pm

You're right. Just keep in mind that Murphy's law is in effect in Switzerland as well (regarding snow, for example) ;) .

ajeleonard Jul 13, 2019 11:53 pm

The things you want to do are basically in a loop

Zurich-Lucerne-Interlaken/Jungfrau-Bern-Zurich

It’s all easily doable by train, no need to go on any ghastly tours

dlffla Jul 14, 2019 5:55 am

I very much enjoyed the Paul Klee Centre in Berne. The Kunsthaus Museum in Zurich is wonderful. I spent a week in Switzerland three years ago and was able to get to everywhere I wanted to go by train. I stayed near the train station so I could walk to and from the station for day trips.

keisari Jul 14, 2019 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by ajeleonard (Post 31301213)
The things you want to do are basically in a loop

Zurich-Lucerne-Interlaken/Jungfrau-Bern-Zurich

It’s all easily doable by train, no need to go on any ghastly tours

I am looking at staying in one place
so I am staying for 5 nights in Zurich
Would you then recommend Interlaken and Jungfrau in one day, Luzern in the other and Bern in another? vs going to the Black forest or Heidiland or some other mountain?

nrr Jul 14, 2019 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by keisari (Post 31303102)
I am looking at staying in one place
so I am staying for 5 nights in Zurich
Would you then recommend Interlaken and Jungfrau in one day, Luzern in the other and Bern in another? vs going to the Black forest or Heidiland or some other mountain?

Jungfrau is very expensive, so planning to take the trip on a day with nice weather in the Interlaken area is prudent--if there are no nice days, skipping Jungfrau might be best.
Luzern < 1 hour from Zurich, taking the boat from Luzern to Vitznau and the cog railway to Rigi is another option instead of Jungfrau.

greg5 Jul 14, 2019 9:59 pm

The Black Forest sounds more interesting than it is. Perhaps a trip to the Rheinfall near Schaffhausen would be much more entertaining? It's a good place to go whatever the weather is. The Munot in Schaffhausen is also worth a visit, if you're in the area. The Zeppelin Museum in Friedrichshafen is doable as a day trip and is pretty cool if you've never been there.

FlyingJoy Jul 15, 2019 8:33 am

There are fantastic views to be enjoyed within Zurich itself if you get a clear day! Going up to Uetliberg offers nice views over Lake Zurich. If you don't want to hike up, there's a train (the Uetlibergbahn) from the central station up to the peak. If you don't mind a bit of hiking, the panoramic trail (clearly signposted and not very strenuous) from Uetliberg to Felsenegg is lovely. And at Felsenegg, there's a good restaurant (Panoramarestaurant Felsenegg) with sweeping views from the outdoor terrace. It's open all year. If you want to check out Felsenegg but don't want to hike, there is a cable car running from Adliswil (Adliswil is a stop on the S4 train line from Zurich city) up to Felsenegg.

As for music venues in Zurich - the Cabaret Voltaire is the birthplace of the Dada movement. It hosts regular performances and exhibits.

When in Zurich, drop by the street "Thermengasse" in the old town. You can see some Roman bath ruins and a bit of information on the Roman period in Zurich. It's a tiny exhibit, but it's free and definitely worth a stop if you're in the area.

In Luzern, the Rosengart Collection is great - large collection with a focus on Picasso.

The issue with the Jungfraujoch is that weather can be very variable that high in the mountains, even within a single day. I personally wouldn't run the risk of visiting it as a daytrip all the way from Zurich. Even if you check the mountain cameras (link to check is here) in the morning and it looks very clear up there, it may get cloudy by the time you actually get there from Zurich.

If you are really keen on the Jungfraujoch, it may actually be best to base yourself in Interlaken or one of the villages in that area, e.g. Wengen, Muerren, Lauterbrunnen (Wengen is most convenient to the train line running up to the Jungfraujoch) for one or two nights, keep an eye on forecasts, and check the mountain cams each morning at first light. And then if you get a clear morning, buy a train ticket and travel up immediately. But even then, it would still be a gamble, with so few days in your itinerary to work with. (For example, I spent five full days staying just in Wengen last year, at the height of summer - and even then, there were only 1-2 days on which it was clear enough up on the Jungfraujoch to warrant taking the trip up).

Have a great trip!

keisari Jul 15, 2019 9:01 am

wonderful information about Jungfrau peak;
thank you all
I may come back with a few more questions are my trip is nearing.

KayVeeBee Jul 15, 2019 10:47 am

Originally Posted by keisari (Post 31300654)
Wed: full day tour of Jungfrau with Grayline

Don’t.

I see these organised tours pass through here every day. They’re horrible. If you rather spend more tine a tually enjoying the area rather than spending time in restaurants and souvenir shops where the tour operator gets kickbacks do the following:

- get the half fare card. This gives you 50% on all public transit. And on mountain railways. It costs 120,- for a month, but now a return ticket Zurich - Jungfraujoch is 150,- and you can travel to yoyr own schedule. And all othervtrips are 50% off as well.
- look in to getting a day saver pass. With the HFC these start at 29,- and give you unlimited travel on all public transport in Switzerland. And that includes lake steamers and even the Rigi railway.

All the info is on www.sbb.ch/en

keisari Jul 15, 2019 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by KayVeeBee (Post 31305788)

All the info is on www.sbb.ch/en

Thank you for the suggestion
The website, at least in English is not great. Not user friendly. Compared to the Germany train or French Rail websites, it is not nearly as user friendly. I will think about your suggestion.