Germany to Hungary : Air travel without passport, with Aufenthaltstitel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Germany to Hungary : Air travel without passport, with Aufenthaltstitel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Question Germany to Hungary : Air travel without passport, with Aufenthaltstitel

Hello community!

I have an Indian passport and am currently residing in Germany with a valid Aufenthaltstitel. I am scheduled to fly to Hungary next week, but my passport is stuck at the Canadian embassy for another visa application.

I was wondering if anyone can let me know if I will be allowed to travel without my passport and just with my Aufenthaltstitel + photocopy of my passport. I am travelling by Ryan Air and don't have checked in baggage.

Thanks!
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Well, Hungary is in Schengen, so you shouldn't need a passport, but I can't speak for Ryanair.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 3:57 am

I don't think Ryanair will let you fly, especially since you're a visa national for Hungary. You can try to contact the Bundespolizei at the airport out of which you will be flying and ask if they will issue you a temporary travel document.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:30 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Action

Schengen Area travel issues are generally discussed in the Europe forum.

Please follow this thread as it moves there.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jul 11, 2019, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Ryanair T&C have many clauses about acceptable documentation, but none that handle specifically intra-Schengen travel... so I'd call them first and ask.

Or take Lufhtansa, they don't check docs.

(For intra-Schengen travel one needs a valid travel document, but I have no idea if the Aufenthaltstitel is one or not)
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:49 pm
MHG

Programs: BA, SK, Accor, Carlson Rezidor
Officially any "Aufenthaltstitel" is only valid in conjunction with a valid pasport.
(there´s a cross reference on the Aufenthaltstitel showing the passport number upon which the Aufenthaltstitel depends)
So, despite in everyday life just the Aufenthaltstitel is accepted in most cases/places as a sort of ID I can assure you that Ryanair will not allow you to board.
They are very strict in this regard.

An Aufenthaltstitel is not a travel document but just a residence permit.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: *G
As said above, your residency card is ONLY valid in conjunction with a passport.

Therefore, the next question is whether the airlines will be actually check for IDs (given that its a Schengen flight), and if they do, how stringent will they be?

My empirical answer to that is that the following are ultra-strict:
(1) flying in/out of Italy and Spain
(2) flying on Italian and Spanish carriers
(3) low cost airlines
...and sometimes France

Flying Schengen most everywhere else, with online check-in, I've pretty much never had to bother showing IDs.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
One more thing, although I could be wrong:

AFAICT - only citizens of EU member states (includes Switzerland but except the U.K.) can use their national IDs to travel within Europe without the passport. IIRC - all others, including the U.K. citizens, will have to use passports.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by garykung

AFAICT - only citizens of EU member states (includes Switzerland but except the U.K.) can use their national IDs to travel within Europe without the passport. IIRC - all others, including the U.K. citizens, will have to use passports.
This is correct, I've travelled in EU and some non EU European countries with my EU member state ID card, after all it states my nationality on it. Citizens of non EU countries must provide valid passport, also as foreigner what will the OP do if asked for ID by Hungarian police. In worst case scenario he/she might get arrested until proven who he/she is.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 10:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Neither Schengen, EU, nor Hungary's rules matter here.

FR will require a passport or OP will be denied boarding. All covered on FR's website.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 2:34 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I was informed that FR accepts driving licenses and residency permits for intra-Schengen flights (it checks ID for commercial reasons), but the website only mentions domestic flights, so unless someone knows the situation on the ground for sure, passport is the only safe bet.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 8:47 am

I'm afraid that the OP's only alternatives are bus or train! Well, perhaps better (even if longer) than a FR flight.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Lufthansa does not ask for a passport, neither an ID when traveling within the Schengen zone unless you need to would check a bag. Simply print your boarding pass at home/kiosks or use a mobile boarding pass.

For a FRA departure on Lufthi %99,99 there won’t be any problems.

I don’t know the procedure of the ground handling in BUD ( for the return ), so I won’t comment on that.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 2:27 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by garykung

The UK is currently still an EU member, and for intra-EU travel we are still entitled to freedom of movement. We therefore only have to prove we are British Citizens.

The difficulty in doing this is that the UK does not have a mandatory National ID card, and nor is it ever likely to have one - the take-up for the voluntary scheme was tiny. The least painful way for us to travel is therefore to show a passport, and that’s common with every EU country given the automated kiosks only take passports, so anyone with an ID card would have to join a manual queue.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
The difficulty in doing this is that the UK does not have a mandatory National ID card, and nor is it ever likely to have one - the take-up for the voluntary scheme was tiny.
The U.K. did have a ID scheme in the past. But it was canceled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.