A weekish in Turkey, Istanbul and ?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:32 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
A weekish in Turkey, Istanbul and ?

I'll be in Turkey this October from the 4th till 12th.
Right now, I have booked Istanbul for the 4th to 8th (we arrive late the 4th, and that would give us 3 full days in Istanbul to calmly see the sites and explore the city.)
On the 8th, I wanted to plan a 4 day trip somewhere in Turkey for some more site-seeing and possibly some R&R.
Right now, I'm thinking Bodrum might be the best idea. Fly from Istanbul and rent a car. It's not too far from Kusadasi and Ephesus to do a full day trip there. We could do a day trip to Marmaris, also.
Thought?
I've been to Istanbul and Kusadasi before, but the others in the group have not.
I was also thinking about Cappadocia, but I'm afraid of heights, so I won't be hot air ballooning it (and I don't think the others want to do a hot air balloon rise, either).
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:32 am

I think it's a lot more fascinating to watch all those balloons from the ground at sunrise. It really is an unforgettable sight. And there're plenty of great short walks surrounding Goreme. Plus the scenery is scenery you just don't find anywhere else on the planet. Touristy? Of course. But without hesitation I'd make it the first choice.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
If you're looking for a cultural trip in Turkey, the Aegean or the Mediterranean peninsula would be great to visit those days. Assuming that you intend to rent a car and explore the area, I would suggest you visit the Ephesus area, the Afrodisias Antic City, The Bodrum Castle and Archeological Museum, the ancient city of Kayaköy, do a boat tour in Dalyan. Also, you could do day trips to beach areas such as Kuşadası, Marmaris, Ölüdeniz, etc... if you prefer.

The weather would be perfect down in those areas and there wouldn't be that many people so I assume that you would have a really pleasant trip if you prefer going to the southwestern part of the country.

Cappadocia would also be great but I think that 2-3 days is enough to visit there. Also, the Cappadocia area has much more stuff to do than hot air ballooning. Over there, you could visit the Göreme Antic City, ancient caverns, the Ihlara Valley and much more.

Also, I could suggest a hotel or region to stay depending on your preferences where to visit and the hotel chain that you want to earn points.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 6:47 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
If you're looking for a cultural trip in Turkey, the Aegean or the Mediterranean peninsula would be great to visit those days. Assuming that you intend to rent a car and explore the area, I would suggest you visit the Ephesus area, the Afrodisias Antic City, The Bodrum Castle and Archeological Museum, the ancient city of Kayaköy, do a boat tour in Dalyan. Also, you could do day trips to beach areas such as Kuşadası, Marmaris, Ölüdeniz, etc... if you prefer.

The weather would be perfect down in those areas and there wouldn't be that many people so I assume that you would have a really pleasant trip if you prefer going to the southwestern part of the country.

Cappadocia would also be great but I think that 2-3 days is enough to visit there. Also, the Cappadocia area has much more stuff to do than hot air ballooning. Over there, you could visit the Göreme Antic City, ancient caverns, the Ihlara Valley and much more.

Also, I could suggest a hotel or region to stay depending on your preferences where to visit and the hotel chain that you want to earn points.
Thank you both for the advice.
It does seem that while Cappadocia would be worth a visit, we are leaning towards Bodrum area (with a rental car). Hotel wise, it's Hyatt or Marriott chains and in Bodrum there seems to be a nice Lux Collection hotel.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 9:49 am

Loved ismir and pamukale, capadocia is a bit overrated.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 1:39 pm

I'm an absolute Istanbul junkie, so much so that I try to go there every year. I'd say that a week is the bare minimum to do justice to that great city. If you want there are some great islands just off Istanbul that are worth an excursion (Princes' islands I mean).

If you want here's an idea of how to spend the time.

Day 1) The basics. Blue Mosque, Suleymaniye, Ayasofia.
Day 2) Maybe more time in the Spices bazaar and surrounding alleys than the Gran Bazaar. Definitely a stop at Kurukahveci Mehmet Efendi to buy some of the goods. Topkapi since time won't be enough on Day 1 to do it justice.
Day 3) Galata, Fener & Balat. Get yourself to see St Mary of the Mongols. Walk the crumbling roads in those neighbourhood. Get a vapur up the Horn and go see the view from Pier Eloti. End the day in Istiklal, or perhaps start it too; get a good Turkish at Mandabatmaz.
Day 4) Get from Besiktas to Beyoglu to Ortaköy. Spend some time there, then jump on the other side to Kuzguncuk. Just sit down and watch the ships cruise in the Bosphorus.
Day 5) Spend a little time in the southern part of Sultanahmet; Little Hagia Sophia is a jewel. Then get a vapur from Eminönü and go to Kadiköy and down to Moda. As it's so cheap I'd even recommend doing some vapur hopping, it's intoxicating.
Day 6) Princes' islands.
Day 7) to cover anything else.

My 2p's worth.
bitterproffit likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
3 days to calmly see Istanbul? Well, yes, if you're only planning to scrape the surface of a tiny part of this huge city.

My ex is Turkish, and I've been to Istanbul more than 20 times on vacation, spending more than 100 days there. Still haven't see much of it, to be honest. Take a week to see the city, then fly down to the coast for some R&R. Bodrum is very popular with the locals, and for good reason. Avoid Antalya and the other tourist traps, unless you really love getting verbally abused by drunk Russians.

3 days to calmly see Istanbul ... ROFL!
13901 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.