Search

Bulgaria Travel Thread [was: Drinking Tap Water in Bulgaria....?]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2019, 3:53 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by SJWarrior

thank you for the reply. Let us know how plodiv is.
We are English speaking only. Will they be an issue?
There were a few instances where I had to pull out google translate in plovdiv: a grocery store, the bus station and the Donner stall to make a special order.

Other than that that English is widely spoken especially by people under 30.

I highly recommend the free walking tour of Plovdiv. It is in English, starts at the town hall and in 2.5 hours covers all of the highlights of Plovdiv. One starts at 11am and one at 6pm. Wear comfy shoes: lots of cobblestone streets and you’ll climb 4 of the 6 hills of Plovdiv!

https://www.facebook.com/FreePlovdivTour/

today we are taking the bus from Plovdiv to Bansko. Wish we had more time here!!!!
Old Jul 4, 2019, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by kokonutz

today we are taking the bus from Plovdiv to Bansko. Wish we had more time here!!!!
Greta memories, thanks for this write-up!

i would be very curious what Bansko is like right now. We loved the area, but when we were there (early June) the town was deserted. All but 3 restaurants were closed, supermarket was closed, it was like a ghost town. We were glad we got the half-board package at our hotel!

Maybe we were there too early in the season? Very curious about your experience!
Old Jul 4, 2019, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gonebabygone

Greta memories, thanks for this write-up!

i would be very curious what Bansko is like right now. We loved the area, but when we were there (early June) the town was deserted. All but 3 restaurants were closed, supermarket was closed, it was like a ghost town. We were glad we got the half-board package at our hotel!

Maybe we were there too early in the season? Very curious about your experience!
Bansko has become a summer mini hub for digital nomads.

Fellow nomads that that we met in Chiang Mai and Da Nang over the winter are spending the summer there so we are checking it out and visiting them on our whirlwind tour of Bulgaria.

Hopefully i’ll Catch up on my blog posts this week. When I do i’ll Post links.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 7:08 am

Bansko has become a summer mini hub for digital nomads.

Fellow nomads that that we met in Chiang Mai and Da Nang over the winter are spending the summer there so we are checking it out and visiting them on our whirlwind tour of Bulgaria.

Hopefully i’ll Catch up on my blog posts this week. When I do i’ll Post links.
Very interesting! In that case I wonder when ‘summer’ begins
Old Jul 4, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: none
I drunk with no problem when i was in europe
Old Jul 7, 2019, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Very interesting! In that case I wonder when ‘summer’ begins
Well. We came, we saw, we liked, we are staying!

After meeting the amazing Coworking Bansko community we decided it was time to slow down, catch our breath and get involved in a community.

So we canceled our tickets to Tbilisi, Georgia, joined Coworking Bansko and decided to settle here in Bansko, Bulgaria for a while.

Yes, many restaurants and stores are closed for the season. But plenty are open especially down the hill around the main square. And we were able to rent a 1 br 2ba duplex flat for a month for 195 euro! Not sure we’ll stay that long but for that price we have the flexibility to do so.

There are about 90 ‘location independent’ members of the community and there are social, networking and seminars every day.

A series of summer festivals also start this weekend. So I suppose that’s the start of ‘summer high season.’

Feels like a great decision so far!!!
SJWarrior likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 3:57 pm

Feels like a great decision so far!!!
I’m so glad to hear it! Interesting to hear that the entire summer is down season. I guess they haven’t reached the point of making their winter facilities more dual-purpose and using them to draw tourists during the summer.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

I’m so glad to hear it! Interesting to hear that the entire summer is down season. I guess they haven’t reached the point of making their winter facilities more dual-purpose and using them to draw tourists during the summer.
Oh, they are trying. There is a looooong water slide at the top of the gondola. The festivals are meant to draw summer visits.

And we do see some Bulgarian tourists.

But it's still like a zombie apocalypse ghost town at the top of the hill and even at the bottom it's active but never crowded.

One thing that's really interesting about Bansko is that the mountains are SOUTH of the town. So...South is UP. North is DOWN. That confuses lots of people. At first I thought it was just me, but then I saw a tourist map and it was south-oriented (the top of the map was the south part of town...up the mountain). So clearly lots of people get confused!
Old Jul 7, 2019, 9:18 pm

But it's still like a zombie apocalypse ghost town at the top of the hill and even at the bottom it's active but never crowded.
Oh my goodness I swear we said the exact same words several times!

We loved it though, such a great town.
kokonutz likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Just published my first blog post about Bulgaria...this one about Sofia.

In it I recommend staying on the Vitosha pedestrian street. It's a really vibrant and fun place to be for lunch, shopping and especially dinner.

We also did a self-constructed and guided walking tour of the city center. The history of Sofia is really, really interesting. From ancient tribes to Alexander the Great to Romans Ottomans to Soviets. And each empire left its mark on the city...and the city has been busy excavating and displaying each period.

The food in Sofia alone is worth a visit. So much meat! And Shopska salad is the delish!

We even managed to get in a swim and watch crazy kids jump off the super-high dive platform.

Bottom line is that Sofia is a surprisingly fantastic. I can't recommend a few days there highly enough!

https://readyjetroam.com/2019/07/10/...ia-for-3-days/

Disclosure: this link is to a blog post that I wrote on a site that I own and have a financial interest in.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 8:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp

[url
https://readyjetroam.com/2019/07/10/what-to-do-in-sofia-bulgaria-for-3-days/[/url]

Disclosure: this link is to a blog post that I wrote on a site that I own and have a financial interest in.

Would you advise a private guide or just rent a car and go it on your own?
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SJWarrior

Would you advise a private guide or just rent a car and go it on your own?
In Sofia we simply took a taxi to Vitosha and walked nearly everywhere from there. When we went swimming we walked to the pool but it was a long walk so we took a metered taxi back (this one had the meter mounted so we could see it the whole way). Parking seemed pretty scarce around Vitosha, to be honest.

That all said, car rentals are dirt cheap in Bulgaria. We are in Bansko now and are rent one for under 20 euros a day when we need one. My understanding is that it can be half that price in Sofia!
Old Jul 15, 2019, 3:55 am

As a geneticist I find this thread really interesting, from an educational point of view: there are people (e.g. my ophthalmologist) who simply don't understand how it was possible that evolution led to such a diversity of life forms on earth in "only" a few billion years. Now, this thread started on the quality of drinking water in Bulgaria, went over to discussing general tourism over there and has now moved (after a few posts on one particular area) to modalities of tourism. I'm waiting to see whether there will soon be a selective pressure that will lead the thread to, perhaps, discussing Bulgarian opera singers (of whom there were/are quite a few excellent ones). Mind you we've only arrived to post # 27, so this may take much longer!

PS Mind you, this is not a unique phenomenon in FT, it happens quite often...
Old Jul 15, 2019, 4:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KLouis
As a geneticist I find this thread really interesting, from an educational point of view: there are people (e.g. my ophthalmologist) who simply don't understand how it was possible that evolution led to such a diversity of life forms on earth in "only" a few billion years. Now, this thread started on the quality of drinking water in Bulgaria, went over to discussing general tourism over there and has now moved (after a few posts on one particular area) to modalities of tourism. I'm waiting to see whether there will soon be a selective pressure that will lead the thread to, perhaps, discussing Bulgarian opera singers (of whom there were/are quite a few excellent ones). Mind you we've only arrived to post # 27, so this may take much longer!

PS Mind you, this is not a unique phenomenon in FT, it happens quite often...
Fwiw I asked the mods the change the title of the thread to something more generic like ‘Ask us about Bulgaria’ a week or so ago.

Perhaps the request is still still under consideration.
pbiflyer and SJWarrior like this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 7:12 am

Personally I don't mind the title even if its "misleading". As a matter of fact, really I enjoy reading a thread like this one in which most statements are positive.
kokonutz and SJWarrior like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.