Reload this Page >

OTP airport to Bucuresti Nord MCT?

Old Jun 25, 19, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Gold

Hey all,

I'll be going to Romania this summer, going straight to Brasov from Bucharest. My flight (AF operated by RO from NCE) lands at OTP at 3.45pm and I was wondering how long it should realistically take to get to the station in order to catch my train to Brasov. Do keep in mind that, while familiar with Eastern Europe as a whole, this will be my first time in Romania. There is a train departing from Bucuresti Nord at 6pm and I *think* this should give me plenty enough time but curious as to what you guys have to say.

Many thanks in advance!
Old Jun 25, 19, 6:44 am

Programs: LH SEN, EB*S
I was in OTP last year, landing 3:30pm and took a Taxi to "downton" (Hotel is about 1km from Northern Station) and traffic was *aweful*.
Gmaps says the trip would take ~20Minutes, but in the afternoon rushhour it was more like 45-50.

So it should still fit, but dont wander around..

Oh, and make sure you order a Taxi via a Kiosk or someone might charge you insane amounts
Bucharest Airports - Bucharest Henri Coand? International Airport - Taxi

Btw, there are train connections, but might not be useful for that certain time ( check https://www.cfrcalatori.ro/en/ )
Old Jun 25, 19, 7:02 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, Aegean silver
Originally Posted by RabbitIYH View Post
Hey all,

I'll be going to Romania this summer, going straight to Brasov from Bucharest. My flight (AF operated by RO from NCE) lands at OTP at 3.45pm and I was wondering how long it should realistically take to get to the station in order to catch my train to Brasov. Do keep in mind that, while familiar with Eastern Europe as a whole, this will be my first time in Romania. There is a train departing from Bucuresti Nord at 6pm and I *think* this should give me plenty enough time but curious as to what you guys have to say.

Many thanks in advance!
I would need some more information. First, do you need to reclaim bags? Second, are you arriving on a weekday or the weekend? (rush hour traffic on weekdays can be horrible).

Theoretically, you should be able to easily make it if your flight is on time. Even with reclaiming baggage you can be in the arrivals hall at 5pm latest. Even though there is a cheap direct bus service to Gara de Nord, I would opt for a taxi here given your time constraints (or better still, order an Uber). If you do not use Uber, do order a taxi from one of the official machines which you will find to your left and right once you enter in the arrivals hall after retrieving your luggage. They do list several taxi companies (for different prices) - but the cheaper ones of around 1.8 RON/km are sufficient! Note that at busy times there can be queues at these machines if demand is high for taxis as in such cases it might take minutes for the machines to issue a ticket for each arriving passenger! The ticket lists the taxi number/licence plate - if you have the receipt you simply walk straight outside to the driveway and wait there for your car to arrive. Under no circumstance take a taxi lurking outside as you will be ripped off. Either take an Uber or a taxi with receipt from one of the machines. I highly recommend Uber due to the much, much more professional service they deliver compared to the awful state of most taxi companies (despite the fact that 30-40% of normal taxi drivers are honest and fair - it's just that the majority ruins it for the others). Train tickets can be book online at cfrcalatori.ro - no need to print the ticket, it's enough to show the pdf on your phone.

My other suggestion is to take a direct minibus from the airport to Brasov if you are not dead-set on taking the train. Don't get me wrong - I do prefer train travel above bus travel, but I think it is much better in this case as you save a lot of time. OTP is basically located on the road from Bucharest to Brasov - so if you need to go to the city first to take a train you end up doing a lot of backtracking! There are direct minibuses which go straight from the airport to Brasov. You can find the times (and book these online) at www.autogari.ro. Minibuses wait at a designated parking lot. To access it, once in the arrivals hall take the stairs or escalator one floor down - and walk to the supermarket. Exit the building here through the sliding doors - and walk straight ahead across the access road/public bus stop to the parking lot and parking garage. Enter the garage, but get straight out of it at the other end - there, outside, is where the minibuses are parked. It's not the most comfortable way, but it will definitely be the fastest.
Old Jun 25, 19, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Romanianflyer View Post
I would need some more information. First, do you need to reclaim bags? Second, are you arriving on a weekday or the weekend? (rush hour traffic on weekdays can be horrible).
A lot of very useful information here, thank you. I will be arriving on a Tuesday, and I think I will most likely check in a bag, but have not decided yet.

I did think about the bus to Brasov from the airport but my girlfriend is arriving 3 hours before me on a separate flight and would rather go to the city centre for a little bit than wait for me at the airport. I can try to talk her into it but I don't like my chances
Old Jul 11, 19, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

FWIW, my flight was delayed by almost 90 minutes, picked up my suitcase from baggage claim at 5.30pm and still made the 6.45pm train to Brasov despite the horrendous traffic.
PAX_fips and Romanianflyer like this.
Old Jul 12, 19, 12:10 am

Programs: LH SEN, EB*S
So you took the bus or a taxi?
Old Jul 15, 19, 5:19 am
Original Poster

I took an Uber, it seemed like the easiest option. The pick up point is on the second level of the parking garage, just in front of the terminal when you step out. It couldn't be easier to figure out.
PAX_fips likes this.

Search this Thread