Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Driving into the Brussels Lez with a Swedish rental car

Old Jul 11, 2019, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM EXP, UA 1K, DL Silver

We're currently in antwerp and we've discovered we probably came into the LEZ (low emissions zone) yesterday without correctly registering our rented swedish diesel Volvo XC90. I bought a day pass for today and tomorrow for Antwerp in hopes of avoiding a fine today or tomorrow. We're heading to Brussels tomorrow and have discovered it has a similar situation. Registration requires the actual registration for the car (which hertz does not appear to have included with the vehicle), so I'm not sure how to proceed. Antwerp has a machine to buy a day pass, but from what I can tell, brussels requires the registration even for a day pass. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:48 pm

I'm pretty sure your XC90 is better than EURO2 so I don't think you need a pass. Do check though, you must have a copy of the registration in the car, if you were to be stopped I don't think the police would be happy with just the rental agreement.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 3:25 am

Belgium: proving that there is a worse way to do low-emission zones than the French and German method. At least the Belgian ones are free for compliant vehicles.

Assuming you're not rolling with the Swedish equivalent of rent-a-wreck, you're definitely allowed into Brussels and Antwerp's LEZ without a pass--anything Euro4 and newer (which was ten years ago) is good to go.

For Brussels, you're supposed to upload a copy of the vehicle registration here: https://lez.brussels/en/content/registration

For Antwerp, you can upload the registration here: https://www.slimnaarantwerpen.be/en/...r-your-vehicle

You can also allegedly use the day-pass vending machines in Antwerp to register your vehicle for free.

If you don't have a copy of the vehicle registration, you should hope you don't have any run-ins with the cops because it's illegal to drive without it--particularly outside Sweden where the cops won't have immediate access to the Swedish database. If they actually didn't include it, my vote is to get fined and tell Hertz it's their fine because it's their fault you couldn't register.

Also, the vehicle registration probably looks like this (image nicked from a Dutch Volvo enthusiast site's page about Volvo-shopping in Sweden):

malmostoso likes this.

Last edited by der_saeufer; Jul 12, 2019 at 9:40 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.