Wiki Posts
Search

Time required for Mount Pilatus from Lucerne

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2019, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP, VA
Time required for Mount Pilatus from Lucerne

Planning the round trip from Lucerne with my 2.5 year old.
How long does the trip take as the "golden round trip"?
Would not taking the ferry save any time?
Does it matter which order to take? gondola/dragon ride vs cogwheel railway up the mountain? My toddler wouldn't have a high tolerance to queuing..

Thanks
Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: UA 1MM *G (recovered GS), SPG Nothing, Hilton Nothing, AA Nothing
It's a good half a day to make that round trip. We spent more than that - cable car partway up with a stop at the adventure park / ziplines. Coming down in the late afternoon in early August we waited quite a while for the train back down - maybe 45 minutes? Perhaps descending via gondola would be quicker. The view is great and very 'above tree line'.

Another trip to consider: Boat to Vitznau + Rigi cog railway to Rigi First or Rigi Kulm. Nice walks there including stroller-friendly ones, then descend via cable car to Weggis and boat (or Bus+train) back to Luzern. Rigi has fantastic views of Pilatus (and lake, and other mountains, etc.). I'm a bit of a Rigi nut, and I prefer the less crowded scene there compared with Pilatus.

A much shorter roundtrip would be Luzern to Burgenstock via boat (20min?) and taking the new funicular. Not sure how far the 2.5yo would walk but with a stroller you can go up to the Hammetschwand lift and see spectacular views of both Rigi and Pilatus.
Texter likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: UA 1MM *G (recovered GS), SPG Nothing, Hilton Nothing, AA Nothing
Also see: https://www.pilatus.ch/en/inform/timetable/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.