Reload this Page >

Most reliable way to get from Syros to Athens

Old Jun 11, 19, 8:25 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: A3*G, UA*S, MR PPE, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS

My mother is flying into ATH on Aug 5 at 14:45. I'll be going from Syros (or a nearby island if it's more convenient) to Athens that day, and I want to arrive at the airport around/before her flight lands, since she's not comfortable going around on her own in unfamiliar cities. So far as I can tell, I have a few options to get from Syros to ATH:
1) a 13:10-13:45 SkyExpress JSY-ATH flight (88eur in SkyBasic i.e. economy);
2) a 07:00-12:15 Bluestar Paros to Lavrio (10eur in an economy seat; no other seating available) followed by a bus to ATH;
3) a 04:20-08:05 Bluestar2 ferry to Piraeus (33.5eur on a berth, though there are only 1-2 left) followed by a free early check-in to the hotel and then a metro to ATH eventually;
4) an 11:35-13:35 GoldenStar Ferries SuperExpress to Rafina (40eur) followed by a bus to ATH.

I'm not too concerned about price given that even the most expensive option isn't that outrageous, and I'll only have a backpack, so no luggage fees to worry about. I'd rather a) be at ATH by 14:45ish, if not earlier, and b) not sacrifice my own comfort too much. Did anyone have any thoughts on which option would be the most prudent / least likely to cancel or significantly delay the day of? My friend, whose family lives on Syros, mentioned last month that I should wait to book since there would be more ferries added to the schedule soon, but I'm not sure if I should believe him or not given that I haven't seen any new ferries...
Old Jun 12, 19, 1:42 am

Your friend in Syros may be right, since there will be a lot of people wanting to travel to Syros at this time of year and additional boats will be needed*. At any rate, If your #1 priority is to be able to greet your mother "at the gate", my own choices could be ranked 3-2-4-1. The problem with Sky Express is that a one hour delay could well be the case that period of the year. In the case of the two ferries to Lavrio/Rafina the chances for a long delay are rather slim, and you could always take a cab instead of the bus. The safest bet is the ferry to Piraeus, although you'll be restricted to a maximum of 3-4 hours of sleep. If you decide for either 2 or 4, I'd try to find a place at ATH where you could ask your mom to wait for you if your late (e.g. the "terrace" at the Sofitel across the street or the cafe between the Schengen and the non-Schengen arrivals. Anyway, you could give her a call when she deplanes to let her know...

* Most ferries to/from Heraklion make two passages daily in July and August.
pewpew likes this.
Old Aug 10, 19, 2:49 am
Original Poster

In case anyone's curious, I picked the flight. It was delayed ~15 mins due to ATC, but I still arrived earlier than my mother's flight, so it was all good. Conversely, my friend took a ferry back to ATH that day and ended up delayed 2h, so it's really luck of the draw. I didn't see any additional ferries added to the schedule in the end

... Now the 3h we spent waiting in ATH for her luggage is another story
Old Aug 10, 19, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by pewpew View Post
...{snip}... Now the 3h we spent waiting in ATH for her luggage is another story
That's amazing, I've never waited longer than 10-15 minutes at any time, ever, not even in the "old" ATH! Which airline was that? Unless that was Ryanair or one of its peers, I'd definitely ask for some miles as a "compensation"...

PS Really OT: I remember flying EWR-BOS and back with People Express in the early 80s. This could have never happened as luggage was loaded and off-loaded by the plane's crew (including the pilots!) and you were collecting it right outside the terminal on the tarmac.
Old Aug 10, 19, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KLouis View Post
That's amazing, I've never waited longer than 10-15 minutes at any time, ever, not even in the "old" ATH! Which airline was that? Unless that was Ryanair or one of its peers, I'd definitely ask for some miles as a "compensation"...

PS Really OT: I remember flying EWR-BOS and back with People Express in the early 80s. This could have never happened as luggage was loaded and off-loaded by the plane's crew (including the pilots!) and you were collecting it right outside the terminal on the tarmac.
It was A3. Unfortunately when she checked in with AC, there was a miscommunication, and they ended up checking it straight through to CFU despite that flight being 18h after landing in Athens. Getting that bag offloaded was an experience I hope never to have to repeat, especially since I'd booked the Grande Bretagne for that night!
Old Aug 10, 19, 9:22 am

[QUOTE=pewpew;31400561...{snip}...I'd booked the Grande Bretagne for that night![/QUOTE]

Wow! Had dinner at the rooftop restaurant looking at the Parthenon?

Search this Thread