Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

SIM card suggestions for Europe?

Old Jun 4, 19, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Hey while I am in Europe for a month, what SIM cards at shops/stores do you recommend for getting a cheap sim card so that I can have enough data over a month to last in multiple countries. Hoping there is a universal sim card that works in more than one nation in Europe. Thanks for any help!
Old Jun 5, 19, 9:00 am

There are several threads over in Travel Tech depending on destination...

It's hard to beat Three (linked in the post above), especially when you can buy them on US Amazon for roughly what the SIM costs in the UK. They also include Switzerland, which many EU carriers don't since it's not required.
Old Jun 5, 19, 11:51 am

Location: Continual long-term travelling since 2016 (4 continents, 26 countries, ~80 cities)
Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum Elite, United Silver, Hertz Five Star, Etc.
If you don't have access to Google Fi or T-Mobile Three is a solid choice!

Safe travels!
Old Jun 5, 19, 12:03 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by pjacqueimo View Post
Hoping there is a universal sim card that works in more than one nation in Europe
Any SIM card / plan from any EU country works the same in any other EU country with no extra charges, it's required by law. Buy one in the first country you visit and it will work for the rest of your trip
Old Jun 5, 19, 1:30 pm

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, Aegean silver
Originally Posted by ajeleonard View Post
Any SIM card / plan from any EU country works the same in any other EU country with no extra charges, it's required by law. Buy one in the first country you visit and it will work for the rest of your trip
While this is true, it still depends on the actual plan (be it subscription or pre-paid) which you have. There are definitely examples of the cheapest pre-paid packages which do not have international roaming in the EU, as well as other plans which might have data caps if you head abroad.

For example my own subscription gives basically unlimited data in Romania, while having only 5GB or so roaming a month in EU countries (of course, you can buy more if you need/spent the data). I know of several other countries where similar data caps are in existence with most of the packages with local providers.

While I cannot advice what to buy as I have never bought a SIM card outside the countries I resided in within Europe, I would advice you that if you buy a SIM card in a local store in Europe to make sure you ask specifically if there are any such caps, and if there are, how easy it is to pay for extra data while on the road (most providers have the option to pay through the provider's online shop if you happen to be in another European country than the one where you bought the SIM card, but ask this in advance).
Old Jun 5, 19, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
I'd start by asking what plan your current provider offers to its customers who are travelling.
Old Jun 5, 19, 9:24 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
As others have said, buying a SIM in your first EU country is probably the best bet, but the "EU tariff" can bite you if you are not careful. If you buy a "naked" pre-paid SIM -- that is one without a package of some sort -- you will pay by the MB for data -- and that rate is the same across the EU but it is still a bit expensive. So you will want to buy a package of some sort -- usually xx minutes of talk, yy texts and zz GB of data. In most cases those limits are good EU wide but I don't think they are required to be (I could be wrong on this, I don't live in the EU) and I have seen some discount SIMs where that wasn't the case.

My Fonic (Germany, discount brand of O2) didn't offer decent EU roaming packages last year so I bought a Dutch Vodafone SIM that I've kept alive (can top up with US credit card). Now Fonic does have some decent EU roaming plans so I've got two SIMs to keep alive

If you have one of the new iPhones another option is a data only eSIM -- I used Ubigi on my last trip and it worked fine, though there are other carries (there is thread on eSIMS in the Travel Tech forum). The cost was comparable to what a package with the NL Vodafone was and has the advantage that you can still receive calls on your US number (and pay your carriers roaming, of course)

I one thing to watch is that EU != Europe so of Norway and Switzerland are on your itinerary make sure that the plan you pick includes those non-EU countries.
Old Jun 6, 19, 3:05 am

If your concern is data rather than calls remember free WiFi is widespread in Europe
Old Jun 9, 19, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I use skyroam for US$ 8 per day (and they currently have a 30% discount for summer)
I get unlimited Wi-fi for 5 different pieces (phone, ipad, computer)
great reception through most of Europe, Asia, US, American in general
I use skype for phone and have an skpein with a US phone number that rings anywhere I am
This would work even if your phone is locked.
Old Jun 9, 19, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pjacqueimo View Post
Hey while I am in Europe for a month, what SIM cards at shops/stores do you recommend for getting a cheap sim card so that I can have enough data over a month to last in multiple countries. Hoping there is a universal sim card that works in more than one nation in Europe. Thanks for any help!
List of Prepaid SIM threads (country-specific and multi-country)

What countries are you going to visit? How long?
Want a lot of data or just a few phone class or ??
Old Oct 10, 19, 7:09 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Hi all, sorry to bump this thread. mrs tvtd and I fly through AMS on our way to HER next week. We land in HER at 9p local and drive to Chania so I would love to get a sim card while in AMS. We are on DL to AMS and Transavia to HER. Is this place accessible or a good option?
Old Oct 11, 19, 6:04 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Originally Posted by tvtd View Post
Hi all, sorry to bump this thread. mrs tvtd and I fly through AMS on our way to HER next week. We land in HER at 9p local and drive to Chania so I would love to get a sim card while in AMS. We are on DL to AMS and Transavia to HER. Is this place accessible or a good option?
It's landside, so you'll need to have time to leave airside and then go back through security after getting your SIM.

Otherwise, it seems as good an option as any.

Search this Thread