Reload this Page >

Recommendation for Lunch/beer in Brussels on a layover

Old Jun 4, 19, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA blue

Hi,

I have a 4,5hr layover in Brussels in a couple weeks.
Instead of spending that in the airport, i was thinking that if the flight is on time, and the weather is nice, i could have lunch in a new city.

By my calculations i would have about 2-2,5hrs in the city if i want to make sure i am back at the airport well before my flight (Norway to Spain so immigration is not an issue).
I'm guessing i should take the train to the central station, and stay near there?

Does anyone have any recommendation for having a waffle and trying a couple belgian beers (those two are my top priority), or a place that have a decent, but not too expensive lunch?
As a bonus: Would it be easier to pick up some chocolate to take with me at the airport, or find a place in town?
Old Jun 5, 19, 4:44 am

Programs: M&M FTL
If you've only got 2 hours and you want a quick taster then indeed take the train to Gare Central, walk to Grand Place (the main square, about a 5 minute walk), and you'll have numerous options in front of you.

I somehow always end up taking people to Le Roy d'Espagne if they're in town for the first time, pretty good beer selection and the food isn't too expensive. Anywhere in Grand Place will be a bit more expensive than a non-tourist area, but not exorbitant, Brussels in general I find to be fairly inexpensive. In any case, you pay for the view, which is very nice and a perfectly pleasant way to spend an hour or two. And from experience always give yourself more time to get back to the airport than you think you need!

As for waffles, they're all over the place, just find a shop with a window that sells them, I have yet to come across a bad one. The chocolate shops are everywhere as well, but I don't recall how the prices compare to airport prices.

Last edited by theSaladDays; Jun 5, 19 at 4:47 am Reason: Added info
Old Jun 6, 19, 2:46 pm

Programs: TK Elite ...and blue, lots of blue...
For lunch, try Taverne du Passage in the Galeries Royales, it's authentic. Do not, under any circumstance, fall for the touts in the Rue des Bouchers and around. All these restaurants are tourist traps, with the exception of Chez Leon, which is just a restaurant chain and Aux Armes de Bruxelles, an old-fashioned, expensive place.
For beer, I recommend the above-mentioned Roi d'Espagne on the Grand Place if you've never visited before. Pricey but the location is unparalleled. If you want a really wide choice of beers, try Delirium.
Old Jun 7, 19, 3:44 am

Programs: M&M FTL
Originally Posted by Ghentleman View Post
For lunch, try Taverne du Passage in the Galeries Royales, it's authentic. Do not, under any circumstance, fall for the touts in the Rue des Bouchers and around. All these restaurants are tourist traps, with the exception of Chez Leon, which is just a restaurant chain and Aux Armes de Bruxelles, an old-fashioned, expensive place..
Absolutely agree!

Originally Posted by Ghentleman View Post
If you want a really wide choice of beers, try Delirium.
Agree as well thought there's a very real danger of missing the next flight

Search this Thread