FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Europe (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe-477/)
-   -   Duty-free questions at Vienna airport (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe/1971489-duty-free-questions-vienna-airport.html)

Dianne47 May 27, 2019 11:53 am

Duty-free questions at Vienna airport

I did a search and didn't find anything regarding my questions. I have a long layover in VIE in a few days (overnight) and note there are both Longchamp and Lamy stores after security. I arrive from AMS and the following morning will be taking a flight VIE-LAX on Austrian. So my questions are:

1) Are the shops indeed after security as shown on the airport map?
2) Are they duty/tax free? I would assume so.
3) Are these shops well stocked with each of the brand's merchandise? I have specific items I'll be looking for.

Thanks for any guidance about shopping at the VIE airport.

deniah May 27, 2019 12:21 pm

Shops are in secure side. Even if they don't do duty free, there are customs booth that allow you to claim it back.

UKtravelbear May 27, 2019 2:03 pm

If you have specific items you want then I'd phone / email the stores (details on the VIE website) and (a) ask if they have them and if not (b) can they get them in for you.

If the items are of high enough value they may make more of an effort.

Dianne47 Jun 1, 2019 7:42 pm

Now that I traveled through the VIE airport I'm going to answer the questions I posed a few days ago.

1) The shops are after security and passport control.

2) I visited the Longchamp shops in areas F and G. This involved some backtracking to then access the Austrian Business Class lounge, but it wasn't too far to walk.The shops are NOT tax-free, but the clerk said she would do the paperwork to claim the tax back at the windows for that purpose. I didn't end up buying anything, as the prices were the same as in-town stores and the stock was not great.

3) The Longchamp stock in Gates F was small. There was a better selection of items in the store by the G gates, I still didn't purchase anything.

I found the prices in the duty-free stores at the Vienna airport to be high. I didn't buy anything there. I did turn in my tax-rebate paperwork, there were two windows next to each other. My receipts were from Harrods in London and at one window I was told Harrods didn't do the paperwork properly, there was something missing (I don't know what, she was unclear in her explanation.) The guy who stamped my receipts was rude, even though it was early in the morning and there was no one in line. I dropped my paperwork in a clear plastic bin to be processed. I was told I would receive a credit on my card in 2-3 weeks.

KLouis Jun 1, 2019 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by Dianne47 (Post 31161456)
...{long snip}...I found the prices in the duty-free stores at the Vienna airport to be high...

Almost all airport shops are very expensive due to the high rent they have to pay to the airport owners, usually higher than at any store at a near-by town.. It's been like this for decades, with the possible exception of tobacco and booze at a few airports.

Dianne47 Jun 2, 2019 8:06 am

Originally Posted by KLouis (Post 31161790)
Almost all airport shops are very expensive due to the high rent they have to pay to the airport owners, usually higher than at any store at a near-by town.. It's been like this for decades, with the possible exception of tobacco and booze at a few airports.

Good point, I don't think I have ever purchased anything at an airport duty-free. I did see a good buy on Benefit makeup primer at the Eurostar departures shop in at Paris Gare du Nord. I thought, 'Oh, will get it at London St. Pancras on my way to Brussels.' Nope, the St. Pancras departures area was jammed and I couldn't find any shop at all. Lesson to self, if you see a good deal, buy it then and don't expect it to be available anywhere else.

:D! Jun 2, 2019 9:02 am

Originally Posted by Dianne47 (Post 31162583)
Good point, I don't think I have ever purchased anything at an airport duty-free. I did see a good buy on Benefit makeup primer at the Eurostar departures shop in at Paris Gare du Nord. I thought, 'Oh, will get it at London St. Pancras on my way to Brussels.' Nope, the St. Pancras departures area was jammed and I couldn't find any duty-free shop. Lesson to self, if you see a good deal, buy it then and don't expect it to be available anywhere else.

There is no duty free between France and the UK or Belgium because all countries are in the EU. This may (or may not) change.

Dianne47 Jun 2, 2019 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by :D! (Post 31162715)
There is no duty free between France and the UK or Belgium because all countries are in the EU. This may (or may not) change.

Of course, you are correct and I edited my post. Thank you.