Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Security when connecting at Amsterdam (non-Schengen flights)?

Old May 20, 19, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Location: Primarily NOVA (anywhere between IAD DCA DEN DMM BAH)
Programs: United MileagePlus, NEXUS

Hello,

It's been a few years since I connected in AMS between North America and the Arab world. It used to be that you didn't have to go through security; you just land in Amsterdam from Washington, DC, let's say, and then go to your gate for a flight to Dubai.

Is that still the case or have things changed? I remember the last time (2010) there was addition security screening at the gate going to the US, and of course you have to go through the border for Schengen-region flights.
Old May 20, 19, 1:07 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
If you arrive from the US or other EU non-Schengen countries (mainly UK and Ireland) you don't need to go through security again. When arriving from Dubai I believe you would need to go through security. The additional screening at the gate for flights departing to the USA is something different.
Nayef likes this.
Old May 20, 19, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

I had wondered because we didn't have to go through security at Amsterdam after we arrived from Bahrain and we just went to the gate for our US flight.
Old May 20, 19, 9:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK M&S Elite Plus, KE SPC, PC Bolbol, KK Brnz, LCA Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy
Back in 2014, flew IST-AMS-LAX-AMS-IST and was subject to security screening at the gate on both AMS-LAX and AMS-IST flights. However, I am not sure when did the system in AMS N/S has been changed to an open-gate system. In the past, all N/S pax were clearing security at the gate. That was my most recent experience flying from AMS, so I don't have information about any updates within the past 5 years.
Nayef likes this.
Old May 20, 19, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
Other than the extra gate security for some USA flights all security is centralised now at AMS
Nayef likes this.
Old May 20, 19, 10:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK M&S Elite Plus, KE SPC, PC Bolbol, KK Brnz, LCA Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
Other than the extra gate security for some USA flights all security is centralised now at AMS
Thanks for the info.
Old May 21, 19, 4:35 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Originally Posted by Nayef View Post
I had wondered because we didn't have to go through security at Amsterdam after we arrived from Bahrain and we just went to the gate for our US flight.
Oh right, I think back in 2010, when you arrived from the US or Bahrain, you arrived into a non-secure area and then you went through security at the gate, same as all other passengers for your flight.

Nowadays when you arrive from the US, you arrive into a secure area so no need for security again before the next flight (because you went through TSA in the US and they consider you secured).

Passengers arriving from DXB, or AMS landside, need to go through security in AMS before they can mingle with you. Then for US-bound flights, there can be additional screening at the gate which is usually people asking questions rather than full baggage examination.
ISTFlyer and Nayef like this.
Old May 21, 19, 7:29 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Hilton Gold
Central security screening was introduced at AMS in June (?) 2015.

Last edited by mfkne; May 23, 19 at 9:04 am
Old May 21, 19, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Can someone please explain what's meant by central security?
Old May 21, 19, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by mfkne View Post
Central security screening was introduced at AMS in June (?) 2010.
For Schengen yes, for N/S it's a date later than August 2014. I am pretty sure. I don't know about the low-cost concourse where Easyjet, etc... operates.
Old May 21, 19, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Nayef View Post
Can someone please explain what's meant by central security?
All passengers pass through security at a central point instead of individual security lanes at gates.
For example:

All USA airports have central security
KUL, SIN has no central security but gate security.

If there is no central security at an airport, you are not screened until you arrive at the gate.
Nayef likes this.
Old May 23, 19, 9:04 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
For Schengen yes, for N/S it's a date later than August 2014. I am pretty sure. I don't know about the low-cost concourse where Easyjet, etc... operates.
Errm yes, that was a typo - it was 2015.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old May 26, 19, 2:43 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by :D! View Post
Then for US-bound flights, there can be additional screening at the gate which is usually people asking questions rather than full baggage examination.
That is US bound flights on US airlines. Flying AMS-LAX on DL you get the extra questions and sticker on your passport. Flying AMS-LAX on KLM nothing extra at all. Pure security theatre in this case.
:D! likes this.

Search this Thread