FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Europe (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe-477/)
-   -   Security when connecting at Amsterdam (non-Schengen flights)? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe/1970561-security-when-connecting-amsterdam-non-schengen-flights.html)

Nayef May 20, 2019 12:25 pm

Security when connecting at Amsterdam (non-Schengen flights)?

Hello,

It's been a few years since I connected in AMS between North America and the Arab world. It used to be that you didn't have to go through security; you just land in Amsterdam from Washington, DC, let's say, and then go to your gate for a flight to Dubai.

Is that still the case or have things changed? I remember the last time (2010) there was addition security screening at the gate going to the US, and of course you have to go through the border for Schengen-region flights.

:D! May 20, 2019 1:07 pm

If you arrive from the US or other EU non-Schengen countries (mainly UK and Ireland) you don't need to go through security again. When arriving from Dubai I believe you would need to go through security. The additional screening at the gate for flights departing to the USA is something different.

Nayef May 20, 2019 1:14 pm

I had wondered because we didn't have to go through security at Amsterdam after we arrived from Bahrain and we just went to the gate for our US flight.

ISTFlyer May 20, 2019 9:22 pm

Back in 2014, flew IST-AMS-LAX-AMS-IST and was subject to security screening at the gate on both AMS-LAX and AMS-IST flights. However, I am not sure when did the system in AMS N/S has been changed to an open-gate system. In the past, all N/S pax were clearing security at the gate. That was my most recent experience flying from AMS, so I don't have information about any updates within the past 5 years.

UKtravelbear May 20, 2019 10:28 pm

Other than the extra gate security for some USA flights all security is centralised now at AMS

ISTFlyer May 20, 2019 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 31122122)
Other than the extra gate security for some USA flights all security is centralised now at AMS

Thanks for the info.

:D! May 21, 2019 4:35 am

Originally Posted by Nayef (Post 31120575)
I had wondered because we didn't have to go through security at Amsterdam after we arrived from Bahrain and we just went to the gate for our US flight.

Oh right, I think back in 2010, when you arrived from the US or Bahrain, you arrived into a non-secure area and then you went through security at the gate, same as all other passengers for your flight.

Nowadays when you arrive from the US, you arrive into a secure area so no need for security again before the next flight (because you went through TSA in the US and they consider you secured).

Passengers arriving from DXB, or AMS landside, need to go through security in AMS before they can mingle with you. Then for US-bound flights, there can be additional screening at the gate which is usually people asking questions rather than full baggage examination.

mfkne May 21, 2019 7:29 am

Central security screening was introduced at AMS in June (?) 2015.

Nayef May 21, 2019 7:35 am

Can someone please explain what's meant by central security?

ISTFlyer May 21, 2019 7:35 am

Originally Posted by mfkne (Post 31123251)
Central security screening was introduced at AMS in June (?) 2010.

For Schengen yes, for N/S it's a date later than August 2014. I am pretty sure. I don't know about the low-cost concourse where Easyjet, etc... operates.

ISTFlyer May 21, 2019 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Nayef (Post 31123276)
Can someone please explain what's meant by central security?

All passengers pass through security at a central point instead of individual security lanes at gates.
For example:

All USA airports have central security
KUL, SIN has no central security but gate security.

If there is no central security at an airport, you are not screened until you arrive at the gate.

mfkne May 23, 2019 9:04 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer (Post 31123277)
For Schengen yes, for N/S it's a date later than August 2014. I am pretty sure. I don't know about the low-cost concourse where Easyjet, etc... operates.

Errm yes, that was a typo - it was 2015.

TheMadBrewer May 26, 2019 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by :D! (Post 31122791)
Then for US-bound flights, there can be additional screening at the gate which is usually people asking questions rather than full baggage examination.

That is US bound flights on US airlines. Flying AMS-LAX on DL you get the extra questions and sticker on your passport. Flying AMS-LAX on KLM nothing extra at all. Pure security theatre in this case.