Reload this Page >

Questions about Corfu

Questions about Corfu

Old May 16, 19, 7:34 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: A3*G, UA*S, MR PPE, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Questions about Corfu

I'm planning my A3 requalification run in August, and I was considering CFU as a destination since I've never been. Just a few questions:

1) how long is a good amount of time to spend there? Before Corfu I'll be sailing around the Cyclades with a friend, so I suspect I'll be a sunburnt lobster by then. I've currently booked the hotel for 5 nights on points.
2) would I want to rent a car? I'm staying at the Domes Miramere which is 30 mins away from the airport and has free parking. My traveling companion has limited mobility, which leads me to think I should rent a car unless we plan on staying in the hotel the entire time... But how easy is it to drive? Is it comparable to LA, or would it be more difficult? Within Europe, I've only ever driven in Germany and France.
3) any suggestions on things to do?

Last edited by pewpew; May 16, 19 at 7:44 am
Old May 16, 19, 7:44 am

Programs: BAEC
I would recommend a car, unless you are certain you won’t leave the hotel or would only go into Corfu town for a morning etc.

Originally Posted by pewpew View Post
But how easy is it to drive? Is it comparable to LA, or would it be more difficult?
Driving on a Greek island is not like driving in LA. Rather perplexed you’re even attempting to compare them.
Old May 16, 19, 8:55 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: A3*G, UA*S, MR PPE, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by krispy84 View Post
Driving on a Greek island is not like driving in LA. Rather perplexed you’re even attempting to compare them.
I guess "comparable" is the wrong word, but LA/SF are really the only cities in which I've driven that most people here would be familiar with
Old May 16, 19, 6:45 pm

Corfu is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful islands in Greece, and the city itself is a jewel. You certainly won't need a car in the city (very narrow streets, absolutely no place to park) but it is a must if you want to see the remaining of the island. Driving on Corfu is like driving in Maine, i.e. no high-speed highways, winding roads, etc. but actually easy. Actually, with the views offered, it will be fun. Now, having described briefly the nice parts of a stay in Corfu, let me warn you that the island will be absolutely packed in August, especially if your plans include the period around August 15 when, to the hordes of Brits, Germans, Russians and all other vacationers, you add many thousands of Greeks.

Search this Thread