FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Europe (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe-477/)
-   -   Where do I go through Customs/Immigration? [Flying to AMS with a connection in DUB] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe/1969590-where-do-i-go-through-customs-immigration-flying-ams-connection-dub.html)

DoggyDaddy May 13, 2019 6:42 pm

Where do I go through Customs/Immigration? [Flying to AMS with a connection in DUB]

We are flying to Amsterdam, Holland but changing flights in Dublin. Do we go through Immigration and Customs in Dublin or in Amsterdam? I can see it both ways. If in Dublin, I assume we will have to recheck bags and go through Security again - a pain.

Thanks in advance.

garykung May 13, 2019 7:08 pm

Deleted

DoggyDaddy May 13, 2019 7:34 pm

Gary,
do we check our luggage to AMS or DUB? If AMS, will we have to do the immigration and customs stuff at DUB and then throw them onto the “continuation belt”? I assume that the DUB - AMS flight will then be a normal flight w/o any further checking. This would affect our pickup for a Shuttle service.

thanks for the info.

DD

Zol May 13, 2019 7:44 pm

Ireland is outside the Schengen Zone so you will have to clear immigration and customs at AMS. DUB will solely be a transit point and you should remain airside (unless you are on separate PNRs and/or need to go airside to collect baggage)

DoggyDaddy May 13, 2019 8:10 pm

Thanks SOL.

Does anyone one know the range of Customs/Immigration at AMS around Noon (12:45) on a Sunday in May?

Doggy Daddy

UKtravelbear May 13, 2019 10:19 pm

Which airlines are involved and is this a single or separate tickets as the answer may change

if a single ticket your bags should be tagged through to AMS and you’ll clear customs there. You don’t collect them in DUB.

At DUB there is a transit route for well passengers in transit. Details on the DUB website.

You clear immigration at AMS to enter the Schengen Zone.

as to how long this takes depends on what other flights have landed around that time and the number of non EU passport holders on them. EU passport holders are able to use e-gates others present themselves to an Immigration Officer.

Zol May 14, 2019 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by DoggyDaddy (Post 31098480)
Thanks SOL.

Does anyone one know the range of Customs/Immigration at AMS around Noon (12:45) on a Sunday in May?

Doggy Daddy

They don't open a lot of counters as most traffic is EU/ECC. But they are pretty quick at processing and don't usually ask questions so you shouldn't be in line for more than 20 minutes but YMMV.

GUWonder May 15, 2019 2:03 am

Originally Posted by DoggyDaddy (Post 31098480)
Thanks SOL.

Doggy Daddy

When I enter into Schengen at AMS at around that time of day on a Sunday, I would say passport control is mostly anywhere between a 0-15 minute wait, more usually closer to a sub-5 minute wait than anything else. But I’m also mostly transiting AMS to go to other Schengen destinations.

cafeconleche May 15, 2019 6:52 am

I don't remember ever having to wait longer than 10-15 minutes in Amsterdam (as a non-EU passport holder), but I don't remember which days or times of day.

I transited Dublin en route to Amsterdam in 2005, and at that time, I had to go through immigration because there wasn't any airside transit at that time, if I remember correctly. I actually would have needed a visa to enter Ireland, but they let me through with a stamp anyway. I could have absconded in Dublin. I don't remember whether I had to collect my luggage, though; I don't think I did.

DoggyDaddy May 17, 2019 6:25 am

Thanks all. I’ll post what happened when I get back (in two weeks).

DD

GUWonder May 17, 2019 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by cafeconleche (Post 31103514)
I don't remember ever having to wait longer than 10-15 minutes in Amsterdam (as a non-EU passport holder), but I don't remember which days or times of day.

I transited Dublin en route to Amsterdam in 2005, and at that time, I had to go through immigration because there wasn't any airside transit at that time, if I remember correctly. I actually would have needed a visa to enter Ireland, but they let me through with a stamp anyway. I could have absconded in Dublin. I don't remember whether I had to collect my luggage, though; I don't think I did.

AMS arrival passport control on Sunday at around or before noon hasn't been too bad in my experience; but for some reason Sunday seems to have younger and more aggressive passport control personnel working than is typical during the rest of the week on average, but even that doesn't really slow down things much. I would say that I can't remember the last time I waited even 15+ minutes to do arrival passport control at AMS -- as it's that fast. It's exiting Schengen at AMS that seems to have slower and more extreme times in my experience, but even that is pretty smooth compared to say what I've experienced at other Schengen passport control locations.

DoggyDaddy Jun 5, 2019 10:33 am

I'm back. First of all, our bags were shipped directly to AMS from EWR. Secondly, we had no choice but to go through Passport Control at DUB while connecting to our DUB - AMS flight. No problems whatsoever and very quick. Lastly, Immigration/Passport control at AMS was also very quick.

Had a very good two week cruise to Norway.

DD

Zol Jun 6, 2019 1:45 am

Originally Posted by DoggyDaddy (Post 31173351)
I'm back. First of all, our bags were shipped directly to AMS from EWR. Secondly, we had no choice but to go through Passport Control at DUB while connecting to our DUB - AMS flight. No problems whatsoever and very quick. Lastly, Immigration/Passport control at AMS was also very quick.

Had a very good two week cruise to Norway.

DD

Did you have to enter Ireland and change terminals?

DoggyDaddy Jun 9, 2019 8:32 pm

I think we changed terminals, but it didn’t seem like it. At one point we had to take a left toward Passport Control so I guess this was a different terminal. I thought it would be confusing but it really wasn’t.

DD

cafeconleche Jun 11, 2019 2:11 am

Did they stamp you in at Dublin?