Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Kiev/Lviv - 4 nights in August w/kid

Old May 13, 19, 10:34 am
Original Poster

I'm heading to Ukraine in late August with my hardy four-year-old son and sister in law for four nights as part of a trip that will include Gdansk, Warsaw and Krakow. I've never been to this part of the world and I'm not sure if I'll ever get back, so was wondering if there are any tips on how to split up the time - I'm also open to spending all four nights in one city or the other, but would love to see as much as possible given the limitations of child patience and endurance.

Between Kiev and Lviv, with airport transfers, it might be painful but worthwhile to wake up early for the 6am fast train, arriving at 11am, instead of an evening flight to or from KBP or flying Motor Sich from IEV. Any thoughts/experiences on this?

How does this itinerary sound? We could also possibly do Lviv first, then Kiev...
Day 1 - arrive IEV mid-morning from WAW. Afternoon exploring St. Sophia's, St. Michael's, St. Andrew's, Maidan, Andrew's Descent, Podil.
Day 2 - morning - Pechersk Lavra, afternoon at leisure exploring
Day 3 - early morning train to Lviv, afternoon at leisure
Day 4 - exploring Lviv
Day 5 - afternoon flight to Gdansk

Thanks - I'd be grateful for any thoughts/tips/suggestions you might have.
Old May 14, 19, 4:28 am

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
I'd split it - 3 days in Kiev, 2 in Lviv. Kiev has more things to do.
Old May 15, 19, 11:57 pm
Original Poster

Thank you, Palal. Yes, it does seem there is a lot to do in Kiev, whereas the charm of Lviv is more just the atmosphere... does that sound about right?
Old May 16, 19, 4:39 am

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
Originally Posted by tomandre View Post
Thank you, Palal. Yes, it does seem there is a lot to do in Kiev, whereas the charm of Lviv is more just the atmosphere... does that sound about right?
Exactly
Old May 23, 19, 6:53 am

My list was:
Lviv
Ivano-Frankivsk
Kyiv
Odessa.
4 days will be enough just to visit all of them.
Old May 24, 19, 4:14 am

Programs: M&M FTL
Originally Posted by Maximilian Thodeus View Post
My list was:
Lviv
Ivano-Frankivsk
Kyiv
Odessa.
4 days will be enough just to visit all of them.
Four days to visit four historic cities? If your only interest is to say "I've been there" then fine, other than that you'll spend more time travelling and sleeping than actually visiting.
Palal likes this.
Old May 27, 19, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Turns out we'll have one extra night, so we'll have three nights (two full days) in Kiev and two in Lviv, so it feels like the above itinerary would work, and we'll be able to do it a bit more slowly. Any and all specific recommendations are more than welcome!

Back in the old days I might have tried to do all four cities in four days, but... yeah, that's a lot of traveling... and can't put a kid through that.

Search this Thread