Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Visa in my old passport

Visa in my old passport

Old May 10, 19, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Visa in my old passport

I have valid visas in my old passport (it hasn't expired, just full... But the cover/info page did get 3 hole punched). I am traveling to Russia next week, and this is one of the valid visas that I have in my old passport.

Will I have issues crossing Russian immigration if I simply bring both passports? I have read so much conflicting information. The consulate and embassy were not helpful either, but I would not have time to transfer it to my current passport or apply for a new one.
Old May 10, 19, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
Take both passports with you.

Your old passport is now invalid - indicated by the 3 punched holes but you should take it with you.

This is a common issue where visa expiry is different from passport expiry. The visa is still valid.
Old May 10, 19, 2:24 pm

Each country policy may be different, I have no clue about Russia but in the US it's pretty standard to bring both passports with you (doesn't matter if the old one expired or got full), I would suggest to check carefully for each relevant country you have a visa for in your old passport.
Old May 10, 19, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

I haven't had issues with China, for example, but now I am reading a lot of conflicting information for Russia. The biggest issue is that the Consulate and Embassy gave me completely different answers... I think because it is such short notice I am going to try to get a notarized document from the Consulate. Although, having been there before I am not getting my hopes up...

I guess I'll report back after trying to enter Moscow.
Old May 10, 19, 5:07 pm

Programs: QF WP
Not sure where you’re based but I just had a look out of interest (have recently renewed my passport and not thought about it as no immediate plans to travel to Russia)- the embassy in Canberra is advising me to apply to have it transferred to the new passport

let us know how you get on

Search this Thread