FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Europe (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe-477/)
-   -   Transferring at VIE- custom? Immigration? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe/1965530-transferring-vie-custom-immigration.html)

Janman Apr 15, 2019 11:20 am

Transferring at VIE- custom? Immigration?

We are US citizens flying AirCanada from YYZ to OTP (Bucharest) via VIE. VIE to OTP is on Austrian. Will we need to claim bags and go through customs and immigration at VIE before catching the flight to Bucharest or will bags be checked through having us deal with it at OTP? Will we need to go outside of security at VIE necessitating security check to board?
Please excuse and advise if this is posted incorrectly as this is my first post!

malmostoso Apr 15, 2019 1:37 pm

Hi Janman and welcome to FT.

You will have a passport control in VIE, while you will be reunited with your luggage and clear customs in OTP.

There should be no security check in VIE.

Enjoy your trip!

deniah Apr 15, 2019 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by malmostoso (Post 31003472)
Hi Janman and welcome to FT.

You will have a passport control in VIE, while you will be reunited with your luggage and clear customs in OTP.

There should be no security check in VIE.

Enjoy your trip!

Will there really be passport control in VIE? (I do OTP directly from VIE instead of transit). Both YYZ and OTP are non-schengen, so it should keep pax in sterile zone around G gates.

malmostoso Apr 15, 2019 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by deniah (Post 31004131)
Will there really be passport control in VIE? (I do OTP directly from VIE instead of transit). Both YYZ and OTP are non-schengen, so it should keep pax in sterile zone around G gates.

You are absolutely correct, Romania is not in Schengen yet so no passport control, which will happen in OTP.

flyingfkb Apr 16, 2019 8:27 am

Originally Posted by malmostoso (Post 31005055)
You are absolutely correct, Romania is not in Schengen yet so no passport control, which will happen in OTP.

Yep, Romania is one of the few EU members which are not (yet) a Schengen member.

Janman Apr 17, 2019 3:05 pm

Thank you all! So transfer should be fairly short and simple. May even time to go to the lounge!

WilcoRoger Apr 28, 2019 2:49 am

Originally Posted by malmostoso (Post 31003472)

Immigration (passport control) - if you stay airside, there's no passport control in VIE, that'll happen in OTP. If you decide to go landside, you'll pass immigration twice at VIE (in and out) + the one in OTP

Customs: in theory yes - in practice there's no customs clearance at OTP for flights coming in from VIE.

LondonElite May 3, 2019 12:42 am

Is this on one ticket?