Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can anyone suggest me a route from Évian to Tahko?

Can anyone suggest me a route from Évian to Tahko?

Old Apr 11, 19, 1:59 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: HKG
Programs: Aeroflot Bonus (silver)
Posts: 370
Can anyone suggest me a route from Évian to Tahko?

I am planning a trip which I am doing multiple sports competitions. I will do a competition at Évian (near GVA) afternoon 13/7, then a competition at Tahko (near KUO) afternoon 14/7.

The competition at Évian officially ends at 17:00 so I believe that I may not be able to catch the direct flight from GVA to HEL at 19:00 even if everything runs on time, and the morning flight from GVA to HEL is already too late for me, and Tahko is a very remote destination.

If I knew that I would be doing the competition at Évian before I signed up for the competitions at Tahko, I would leave a day between, and skip the first day of competition at Tahko. But I have also experience that it is possible to run a competition in the afternoon, take a domestic flight in evening, and run another competition morning next day (the city pair in question is Stockholm to Porvoo, which multiple evening flights are available from Stockholm to Helsinki)

Can anyone suggest me a route which is possible to depart GVA in late evening and arrive Tahko around noon the following day? Or should I be better off DNS the first day in Tahko? Contrary to my usual practice, I don't want to make this segment too stressful as I will have just pushed my endurance limit in the competition at Évian.
miklcct is offline  
Old Apr 11, 19, 4:53 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Posts: 2,276
I don´t it will be possible, unless you catch the Finnair flight @19:00 from GVA to HEL.
Helsinki Flyer is online now  
Old Apr 11, 19, 12:13 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: HEL
Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Posts: 8,489
If money & time are not an issue

GVA-SVO-HEL on SU2383/3964, departs 21:40, arrives 06:50

Landing at HEL 6:50 and driving 5 hours would see you at Tahko by noon.
WilcoRoger is offline  
Old Apr 11, 19, 3:50 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: HKG
Programs: Aeroflot Bonus (silver)
Posts: 370
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger View Post
If money & time are not an issue

GVA-SVO-HEL on SU2383/3964, departs 21:40, arrives 06:50

Landing at HEL 6:50 and driving 5 hours would see you at Tahko by noon.

I have worked out that route but I am not willing to drive - I may connect to KAJ on a separate ticket and take a bus there.

However, I still need to consider whether it is worth the money and hassle for a competition which is not very important for me - the one-way ticket is very expensive and there is no award availability in Aeroflot Bonus for the SU flights.

And I need to have a good rest after the competition on 13/7 as well.

I originally believed that the public transport network in Finland is very good, with frequent short-haul flights and also inter-city buses given my good experience connecting Helsinki and Stockholm, Turku and Tampere. But now it disappoints me. The transport does not work on Sunday.
miklcct is offline  
Old Apr 14, 19, 10:47 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: HKG
Programs: Aeroflot Bonus (silver)
Posts: 370
Originally Posted by miklcct View Post
I have worked out that route but I am not willing to drive - I may connect to KAJ on a separate ticket and take a bus there.

However, I still need to consider whether it is worth the money and hassle for a competition which is not very important for me - the one-way ticket is very expensive and there is no award availability in Aeroflot Bonus for the SU flights.

And I need to have a good rest after the competition on 13/7 as well.

I originally believed that the public transport network in Finland is very good, with frequent short-haul flights and also inter-city buses given my good experience connecting Helsinki and Stockholm, Turku and Tampere. But now it disappoints me. The transport does not work on Sunday.
I have decided to go thru SVO since there are no flights which are significantly cheaper to HEL even if I skip the Sunday competition, and if I go KUO on Sunday afternoon, the AY round-trip tickets are much more expensive than going KAJ in the morning (my final destination is somewhere between KUO and KAJ). Also, by splitting the ticket at SVO (buying GVA-SVO on SU, and SVO-HEL on AY) I can get considerable savings (because there is no single GVA-HEL fare and the SU flights are priced as an open-jaw, even the un-flown segment is much longer than the SVO-HEL leg). I will have 2 hours and 50 minutes between these 2 separate tickets so I believe it is doable.

Last edited by miklcct; Apr 14, 19 at 10:53 pm
miklcct is offline  
Old Apr 15, 19, 12:04 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: AMS/RTM
Posts: 2,406
Originally Posted by miklcct View Post
I will have 2 hours and 50 minutes between these 2 separate tickets so I believe it is doable.
Is Russia really the kind of place you want to risk get stuck in?
malmostoso is online now  
Old Apr 15, 19, 12:25 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: HKG
Programs: Aeroflot Bonus (silver)
Posts: 370
Originally Posted by malmostoso View Post
Is Russia really the kind of place you want to risk get stuck in?
What's the problem with Russia? No matter what, it is impossible for me to build a protected connection all the way from GVA-SVO-HEL-KAJ, and once the HEL-KAJ flight is missed, the competition on Sunday will be over. The next flight to central Finland after the HEL-KAJ will already be HEL-JOE 11 - 12, which is much further (more than 100 km) from the place of competition starting at 13.

Whether the SVO connection is protected makes no difference for my case.
miklcct is offline  
Old Apr 15, 19, 1:29 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: AMS/RTM
Posts: 2,406
Originally Posted by miklcct View Post
What's the problem with Russia?
Do you have a visa for Russia? Do you need one? Will they let you board in GVA with/without such a visa?

I don't know the answer to these questions, and I'm extremely risk averse so I would never consider Russia (or any country I can't just enter with my passport) to build such an itinerary. I was just making you aware of potential issues which you should probably research beforehand.
malmostoso is online now  
Old Apr 15, 19, 1:31 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: HKG
Programs: Aeroflot Bonus (silver)
Posts: 370
Originally Posted by malmostoso View Post
Do you have a visa for Russia? Do you need one? Will they let you board in GVA with/without such a visa?

I don't know the answer to these questions, and I'm extremely risk averse so I would never consider Russia (or any country I can't just enter with my passport) to build such an itinerary. I was just making you aware of potential issues which you should probably research beforehand.
I don't need a visa for Russia and have visited Russia visa-free for a few days last year.

Your line of reasoning is similar for me never considering U.S.A. as a transit point due to visa hassle.
miklcct is offline  
Old Apr 15, 19, 1:56 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: AMS/RTM
Posts: 2,406
Originally Posted by miklcct View Post
Your line of reasoning is similar for me never considering U.S.A. as a transit point due to visa hassle.
And indeed I'd never consider the USA for transit, especially on separate tickets. Different strokes and all that.
malmostoso is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread