Search

Rental car Germany, Poland, Czech Republic

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2019, 5:37 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
Rental car Germany, Poland, Czech Republic

My family is going to be starting a vacation in Germany with a rental car. 3 weeks total duration. We will be driving around and eventually going to Poland (wife's family lives there). Then back to Germany at the end for our departure and flight back to the USA.

Rental car companies seem to not like Poland despite it being the safest country in Europe these days and having a lower car theft rate than Germany.

Are there any rental car companies that allow travel into Poland while renting the car?
Old Apr 9, 2019, 6:43 am

A quick search reveals that AVIS does allow you to drive a car rented in Germany into Poland and the Czech Republic, up to the medium class.

Other companies might or might not have similar policies.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Years ago, when the provision was arguably more relevant, I had booked a 5-series BMW at FRA airport. Mentioned we would be going to Danzig and to Marienburg (old East Prussia). The ladies at Hertz kind of freaked out because of the restrictions, then said I could go to the garage and find some other options, and we would see if the paperwork would allow it.

Lo and behold, someone from Sweden had returned a Volvo S-80, a comparable car and IIRC owned by the Hertz Stockholm location. The Frankfurt Hertz people said that this car's paperwork did NOT include the Poland/ Eastern Europe restrictions, so off we went. I believe they even discounted the price saying that this Volvo was not as prestigious as a BMW. We had a marvelous time all over Poland, as well as Slovakia, Hungary and beyond. Sometime during the journey, I noticed a sticker, hidden on the inside jamb of the driver's door with the restrictive language. Too late. Not a peep at return, however, even with 4000+ KM in two weeks.

Since then, we have had to limit our rental cars to authorized vehicles for travel across the old Cold War frontiers.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
National/Enterprise does not let you rent BMW/Audi/VW and Mercedes if you are going into Eastern Europe (including Italy)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.