FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Europe (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe-477/)
-   -   Best Places to visit in Europe? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe/1960961-best-places-visit-europe.html)

markwilliamuk Mar 15, 2019 1:52 am

Best Places to visit in Europe?

What are the best places to visit in Europe? To have a holiday trip with my family this summer, Any Suggestions?

stut Mar 15, 2019 3:02 am

Welcome, @markwilliamuk, always good to see another poster in Bedfordshire :)

I'm afraid with such an open-ended question, it's going to be rather difficult to give specific recommendations. Could you help us out a little bit, with some extra info such as:

How old are the children?
What kind of holiday are you looking for? Beach, city, rural?
What do you like to do on holiday?
Are you chasing the sun, or happy with somewhere a bit more temperate?
Are there any previous trips you've done that you've particularly enjoyed, where there are characteristics of that you'd like to repeat?

If it's during the school holidays, you're going to find air fares are already pretty high for the most obvious destinations. One starting point for me (who only booked his summer holiday, in the Nordics, a couple of weeks ago) is to go to Google Flights, put in my parameters (which includes reasonably timed flights, given I've got a toddler) and see what comes up as reasonably priced. And then add on a couple hundred quid if it's Ryanair.

LondonElite Mar 15, 2019 3:13 am

No one can answer such an open-ended question. Do your children like holidays by the beach or visiting monasteries? Are you interested in off-the-beaten-path eco-holidays or a luxury tour of Venice? Is your budget £2,000 or £25,000? Only you can answer these questions.

UKtravelbear Mar 15, 2019 4:55 am

Also how’s long is your trip? Do you want to stay on one place all the time and happy to go on day trips or do you want to have a number of days in one place (such as a city for museums etc) and then somewhere else (such as a beach)?

What is your budget? Do you want to tie yourself to a particular airline or hotel chain because you have points to use? Those then limit your choices.

I see you are in the U.K. and if you are tied to the 6 week school holidays you coukd split your trip up so a week in a city at the start then a beach holiday at the end

if you added more parameters you’d get better advice but you need to do a lot more research yourself. Where do your family want to go? Get them to give you ideas.

pbiflyer Mar 15, 2019 9:22 am

Unless your kids are much older, whatever you pick, you need to have kid friendly activities. Amusement parks, water parks, zoos, beaches, mountain coasters etc.
Endless museums, city life gets old for kids. Trust me.

Also, length of stay and how many places you want to go will influence the recommendations.

jackryanwills09 Mar 19, 2019 4:55 am

Let 2019 bring forth excitement, fun, and adventure. Embark on Best places in Europe, a continent which is deep in history, culture and beautiful landscape and scintillating coastline.

Best places to visit in Europe :

Paris
Amsterdam
Greece
Canary islands
Balearic Islands.

Helsinki Flyer Mar 25, 2019 6:44 am

Berlin
Alps
Finnish lakeside summer house
French Atlantic coast
Bodensee

JBord Mar 25, 2019 7:10 am

For a summer holiday, go to Croatia.

LondonElite Mar 25, 2019 4:03 pm

I think Magaluf.

rickg523 Mar 25, 2019 4:16 pm

For a family trip, if you haven't been before, there's only one answer (;))
Italy

currid7 Apr 24, 2019 2:09 pm

We did a road trip from Croatia to Venice. That had some light hiking / waterfalls for kids, flexibility since we were in a car. Neat towns along the way, and get to end in Venice, which is nice (3 days max).

James Silva Apr 25, 2019 12:22 am

Paris
Amsterdam
Croatia
Venice
Canary islands
Balearic Islands.

CarlTheWebmaster Apr 25, 2019 10:02 am

Switzerland is nice, particularly the Lake Lucerne region. Swim in the lake, hike, museums/zoos/adventure parks galore.

LostInAmerica Apr 27, 2019 11:20 am

This was delivered to my inbox this week:

https://www.jetsetter.com/magazine/t...i_u=IVMVHUROGJ

It may help you with some ideas and the pictures definitely inspire a desire to visit.

stablemate77 May 2, 2019 11:01 pm

a lake in poland or sweden

depends on what you want to see and do shopping or mix with locals.....eat fine food....im staying in normandy france this summer in gite by grand kids spain is nice if you want beach i like to look at lakes enjoy should be wonderful