Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rental car travel in Europe (rent from Italy and visit Easern European countries)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rental car travel in Europe (rent from Italy and visit Easern European countries)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2019, 7:10 am

Programs: BA Exec
If you are determined to use a car take out specific hire car insurance. See icarhireinsurance as an example (though not sure its openb to people outside Europe???)
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by poohhead80
Thank you for the info.

Here is more input from my side.
1. I will rent an automatic transmission vehicle - The last time I drove a manual shift was 20 years ago. I am willing to pay more for an automatic transmission vehicle.
2. I am planning to rent a mid or intermediate size vehicle. Based on my internet search, BMW 1 series vehicles are classified as a mid size vehicle. Rent price is around USD500 for a week including theft insurance and CDW. I am planning to take additional super coverage, as well.
3. I will rent a vehicle from one of the major rental car companies. I usually rent from Hertz, Avis, and Alamo/National in US.

My new tentative itinerary is
Day 1 Venice-Dolomites (170km)
Day 2 Dolomites
Day 3 Dolomites-Fussen (280km)
Day 4 Fussen
Day 5 Fussen-Interlaken (360km)
Day 6 Interlaken
Day 7 Interlaken-Milan (300km)
Day 8 Milan-Venice (280km)

I can see my itinerary still has a lot of driving.
My wife wants to include Interlaken and Fussne (non Italian tourist attractions) since we will have 4 days in Rome and 7 day mediterranean cruise before this road trip.
Thank you for your advice.
It's still too much driving. Just visit Fussen and Interlaken and you will have enough things to absorb for 8 days. Interlaken is almost the gateway to Swiss Alps. Skip Italy this time except for Milan. Fly into Milan, take trains to Interlaken.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by malmostoso
Much more realistic. I'm not sure what the fascination with Füssen is, and instead of Interlaken I would stick to eastern Switzerland (sankt moritz or davos for example). If you want to see a lake, Konstanz is very beautiful.

Keep in mind that driving in Switzerland can be very slow (speed limit is often 80-100km/h), and in Austria you'll have tolls on some tunnels on top of the sticker that you need to purchase.
Quite understandable about the attraction for Füssen - two young children get to see two castles, Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau. I’m sure that a couple of American kids will be thrilled to see the castle that Disney’s is modeled after. Probably a lot of adults can’t grasp that idea.

Generally speaking, the speed limit on Swiss autobahns is 120 km/hr, unless tunnels, construction, etc.

Originally Posted by KLouis
...Also, Swiss highways and many city roads are "loaded" with radars and the cost of fines is modelled according to the price of meat in Switzerland (plus the horrendous "handling fee" of the rental agency).
As long as the driver obeys the speed limits, that shouldn’t be a problem. (Speaking as someone who has had a couple of tickets.)

Originally Posted by Redheadpeter
Take the train! It's faster, It isn't Amtrak! Milan to Venice 2hours 35 minutes. No need to stop for fuel, rest rooms, food etc. More relaxing. And you get to see the scenery - nobody drives Autostrada etc (European Freeways) for the view!

Probably cheaper - no fuel, no tolls, no car rental, no vignettes (Hungary, Austria and Switzerland). Train Milan to Venice around 24 Euros.

In the places you are going take tours, rent a car for a day.
Autostrada = Italy
Autobahn = Switzerland, Germany, and Austria.

OP is probably thinking it’ll be less of a hassle to have a rental car with the two young children and assorted luggage.

To the OP:

You’ve received some very good advice in many of the posts. However, don’t stress too much about driving in Europe. I’ve been to Germany and Switzerland well over 100x since 2000. Like you, I’m from the U.S. and I have not had any problems driving in Europe. Follow the speed limits and pay attention to the No Parking signs. Seems like you already have taken up some of the tips offered and I heartily endorse what many others have said with regards to not trying to do/see too much. I’m not a big fan of drive-by tourism. Enjoy your travels with your family. A great experience for the children.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
I would be very careful, as a first timer.

As someone who drives a lot in Europe...own car plus rentals, I would be very wary of cross border travelling and insurance implications. I would definitely consider renting with one of the majors and possibly paying 100 % insurance options. You need to call whoever you're thinking of and give them your itinerary for a bespoke quote.....you will be politely be told to go away by some as ,trust me, driving in some areas leaves a lot to be desired. Any parking is a gamble, whether that be break ins, particularly high value cars, or bumps or scrapes caused by unknown persons. You're talking of ancient towns and cities certainly not designed for today's cars.....narrow streets with locals having no regard to other road users or local traffic laws. Not all of course but you will be lucky to escape scot free on your proposed tour. I would rethink...you're on holiday, not a motoring marathon, and Europe will still be here next year. Speed cameras are rife, and in France speed detectors are illegal, my phone with Co Pilot on board was confiscated a couple of years back....i got it back...eventually.
And while Holiday Autos.com and others are fine for local rentals and are fine if taken at face value, but don't forget, you get what you pay for and no more. (Just see what happens if you break down on a Sunday, and does your rental actually carry a spare wheel ?) You need to ensure that all marks and dents, wheels,(alloy scrapes), tyres are scrupulously noted on the documentation and take photos all round, particularly on return if the rental office is closed. I might sound paranoid, but trust me , after 40+ years on European roads you get to learn what to do and what not to do.....it might well not be your fault in any accident , but guilty until proved otherwise.
Have a great time !!

Last edited by mike turnbull; Feb 26, 2019 at 11:50 am Reason: Spelling ?
Old Feb 26, 2019, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
Quite understandable about the attraction for Füssen - two young children get to see two castles, Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau. I’m sure that a couple of American kids will be thrilled to see the castle that Disney’s is modeled after. Probably a lot of adults can’t grasp that idea.
Oh believe me, I've been there. And the best thing about that area is taking a walk around the lake! But indeed, as a kid seeing the castle could be cool, the inside visit is definitely underwhelming IMHO. Regardless, if that's your only time in Europe might as well make the most of it.
FLYMSY and Ingrid like this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 1:29 pm
Original Member

Do not drive in Italy! The drivers there are absolutely crazy.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
That is not quite right....the usual assumption. Italy is a big country and most areas experience no more bad driving than anywhere else,, but, they probably drive a bit faster, and know what they're doing and respect other drivers who cut them up without causing an accident .True, in the major cities,traffic is hectic but the road is there to be used....leave a space and someone will dive in...not bad driving, it's the expectation of one and all.You just need to be wide awake and be aware...front, back and sides, and don't hesitate, just go for it..nobody is deliberately going to go out of their way to cause an accident.....you're more likely to get a handshake for great driving !
Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:21 pm

Dear OP

I agree with the others that it’s better to stay in one place and take side trips, as you will on your cruise, unless your family really loves road trips. My wife and I learned that we wasted far too much time and energy traveling, checking in, and unpacking/repacking when we had a more ambitious itinerary.

Our kids enjoyed playing far more than sightseeing in cities, which got old pretty fast. We found that beach access or a pool were essential.

Driving: I thought it was fine. Italians are generally good drivers; excessive speed rarely an issue, because of the omnipresent toll cameras on the autostrada

We rented from Avis because the had an extensive network of off-airport locations and allowed us to pick up in Florence and drop off in Rome. We used our Costco codes even though you can’t book Italy directly through them anymore.
We checked rates daily, re-booking when they dropped until we locked in at a rate we liked.
Have a debit card for gas. Many gas stations are automated and don’t accept cash or credit

Activate the toll transponder. It’s easy to go through a malfunctioning booth that won’t take your debit card, and many toll plazas are automated as well. Even if you pay the toll online afterward, as we did, trying to avoid a fee from Avis as well as an Italian penalty, we were still charged by Avis (6 months later) because the highway authority had already transmitted the violation

Italian cities often may have restricted central zones for taxies and locals, but but guests at certain hotels with the zone may be permitted entry. If you stay at one of those, make sure that the hotel actually sent your info to the police. We received another Avis fine and one from Italy as well because of a breakdown somewhere in that process.

Have a great time, whatever you do.

Old Feb 26, 2019, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Skyteam Elite Plus (KE Morning Calm Premium)
Thank you very much.

My wife and children are super excited about Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau. I am interested in driving Furka, Grimsel and Susten Pass.
Last year, I did one day Interlarken group tour from Zurich and traveled from Zurich to Venice (I was not driving). I wanted to comeback with my family.
I have 15+ year driving experience both in USA and South Korea. I am not planning to drive in Rome but I think I can handle rural area driving.

Initially, I thought about going east to Croatia and Hungary.
After reading Hertz rental terms, I dropped the idea.

"Hertz vehicles cannot be driven into and/or dropped off in any African, Asian, or Middle-East countries, nor in Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Estonia, Georgia, Greece, Hungary, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Montenegro, Poland, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Tajikistan, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, Uzbekistan.
Hertz vehicles may be driven into but not dropped off in Finland, Ireland, Norway, Sweden.
Hertz vehicles may be driven into and dropped off in Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Slovenia (Ljubljana only), Spain, Switzerland, United Kingdom (islands not included).
Hertz vehicles cannot be driven in any of the East European countries with the exception of Croatia where the transit only is allowed with written authorization which is given at the time of pick-up and attached to the rental agreement. Moreover Hertz vehicles are not allowed to be taken on ferries from any Italian Harbour with destination Croatia."
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:12 am

Much more realistic. I'm not sure what the fascination with Füssen is, and instead of Interlaken I would stick to eastern Switzerland (sankt moritz or davos for example). If you want to see a lake, Konstanz is very beautiful.

Keep in mind that driving in Switzerland can be very slow (speed limit is often 80-100km/h), and in Austria you'll have tolls on some tunnels on top of the sticker that you need to purchase.
Agree on Konstanz and definitely agree on the nuances around driving in Austria.

...Also, Swiss highways and many city roads are "loaded" with radars and the cost of fines is modelled according to the price of meat in Switzerland (plus the horrendous "handling fee" of the rental agency).
Yep. 1 km/h over too and you'll get hit. Driver beware!

Oh believe me, I've been there. And the best thing about that area is taking a walk around the lake! But indeed, as a kid seeing the castle could be cool, the inside visit is definitely underwhelming IMHO. Regardless, if that's your only time in Europe might as well make the most of it.
Agree with the inside, you end up doing it just because everyone else is..... but there's far better out there.

Thank you very much.

My wife and children are super excited about Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau. I am interested in driving Furka, Grimsel and Susten Pass.
Last year, I did one day Interlarken group tour from Zurich and traveled from Zurich to Venice (I was not driving). I wanted to comeback with my family.
I have 15+ year driving experience both in USA and South Korea. I am not planning to drive in Rome but I think I can handle rural area driving.

"Hertz vehicles cannot be driven into and/or dropped off in any African, Asian, or Middle-East countries, nor in Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Estonia, Georgia, Greece, Hungary, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Montenegro, Poland, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Tajikistan, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, Uzbekistan.
Hertz vehicles may be driven into but not dropped off in Finland, Ireland, Norway, Sweden.
Hertz vehicles may be driven into and dropped off in Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Slovenia (Ljubljana only), Spain, Switzerland, United Kingdom (islands not included).
Hertz vehicles cannot be driven in any of the East European countries with the exception of Croatia where the transit only is allowed with written authorization which is given at the time of pick-up and attached to the rental agreement. Moreover Hertz vehicles are not allowed to be taken on ferries from any Italian Harbour with destination Croatia."
Also to keep in mind, one way rentals with most companies are going to be horrendous! Where possible, do a loop route.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 1MM *G (recovered GS), SPG Nothing, Hilton Nothing, AA Nothing
OP, I see you have trimmed your original somewhat ambitious itinerary and that sounds like a good call.

One thing I would recommend heartily is to use a CC with supplemental rental insurance (I always use Amex). Particularly with one-way/dropoff rentals, IME the checkin person can be particularly zealous about noting "damage" all over the car. We never hit or scraped anything and the Avis guy at GVA "found" CHF 900 in damage. I put in a claim with Amex and it magically disappeared.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:23 am

call the rental agency now and get everything in writing!
Totally agreed!

(Last summer rented a car from Europcar, needed to extend it at the end of 6 weeks, and was told over the phone, that be no problem - and in fact there be no charge for it. 6 months later I only just now got my block on my account removed, and a measly upgrade voucher for all the trouble and headaches that resulted from me refusing to pay some random request for payment from them, which was eventually explained to be for the extra days. In between I had another booking with them which was blocked from taking, leaving me stuck without a car! Get it in writing (and if impossible, record your phone calls, as I did). And avoid Europcar like the plague - total clowns and thoroughly un-professional.)

You been warned

Last edited by timesnaps; Mar 19, 2019 at 10:12 am
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by timesnaps
...{long snip}...And avoid Europcar like the plague - total clowns and thoroughly un-professional.)...{snip}...
And usually more expensive than other companies.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 6:51 am

Pardon my tardiness but there are two important facts that I havent seen mentioned here.

1. You need an international driver's permit to rent a car in Italy.

2. All renters charge a crazy fee of at least €500 if you return their car to a different country.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I don't know which country's Hertz T&C you quote from - it differs from country to country, especially given that Hertz does have a large footprint in many of the countries on the "no go list", including HR and HU. When I rented from Hertz HU, I definitely have no issues driving to HR, SK, SL, etc. Same for rentals in AT. Just inform the counter which countries you plan to drive to and they might slap a small extra charge on the rate and include in your rental agreement - this latter is important for insurance purposes.

Given that you'll be with family and wanting to plan ahead and play safe, the best advice would be as someone said upthread to contact the local Hertz (etc) office and ask a quote while mentioning the countries you plan to visit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.