Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Checked Baggage: ATL-ZRH on DL, then ZRH-VIE on SWISS

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2019, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Checked Baggage: ATL-ZRH on DL, then ZRH-VIE on SWISS

I will have 2 checked bags originating in Atlanta checked thru to Zurich (via JFK) on Delta arriving in Zurich at 8:40am.

I’ll then be getting on a SWISS flight to Vienna (not yet ticketed) departing at 12:40pm.

These tickets are not booked together or on the same itinerary. The DL ticket is Skymiles rewards.

Is it possible to check them in ATL all the way thru to VIE even though it is two different carriers?
Or do I need to claim the bags and recheck them in Zurich?

Is it possible to ticket the ZRH-VIE segment so as to enable this ?

Thank you
Old Feb 24, 2019, 1:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No. DL will only check bags across separate tickets DL-DL or DL-ST. LX is a *A, not a ST carrier, so your bags won't be checked.

It won't be possible to combine an award and cash tickets, so what you want is less than likely to happen.

DL and LX do have an interline baggage agreement, so there is nothing preventing what you want, it is simply policy. Thus, you may certainly ask at ATL when you check in. Have a paper copy of your LX e-ticket receipt handy. Similarly, you may ask LX on arrival whether it can make arrangements to retrieve your bags from DL without having to retrieve them, but the answer will almost certainly be no as well.

With four hours, you should have plenty of time unless there is some reason you anticipate immigration issues with passport control at ZRH.
audrocks likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.