Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Switzerland - Liechtenstein

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by Concerto
With all the money flapping around Liechtenstein, I am amazed that the Hong Kongese did not recognize the place. After all, they love money in Hong Kong. Just lastly, Liechtenstein vaguely reminds me of the imaginary countries and locations in the musical (and film) Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.
Ah, the lovely Vulgaria.

BTW, has BA ever served Pinot Grand Fenwick in First?
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

This might be the most anyone has ever spoken about Liechtenstein!

Last edited by pstm91; Feb 15, 2019 at 3:02 pm Reason: Typo
Old Feb 15, 2019, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by KLouis
What? Imaginary countries? I've been tens of times in both Syldavie and Bordurie (food is much better in the former) and once in San Theodoros but never in Nuevo Rico!
Great! I've not made it there yet because I can't find them on the map! So I had to create my own ones. I'll get there one day.

As for writing about Liechtenstein, I think we are going for a record here! I really do think it could be Vulgaria in disguise!
greg5 likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 2:13 am

Seriously though, get a rental car and drive up to Triesenburg for some really nice views of the Rhein valley and the Alps. You can go a bit further afield into Austria and visit Rankweil where there is a really cool church atop a huge rock. The link is in German, but Rankweil isn't very big and it's difficult to miss the church. Parking can be challenging as well.
pstm91 likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I asked someone who just took a direct route from Zurich to Sankt Anton in Austria for a ski trip this week and some who did it for a meeting, and they said the train stopped in Lichtenstein for a few minutes in both directions. Nothing was mentioned about people getting on and off there, but it did stop there with some reporting that the stop was for several minutes -- although they said they weren't paying attention to the time since the trains there run very much on time.
The line through Liechtenstein is single track, and as a result the trains often need to make a stop in a passing loop. But nobody can get off there.
:D! likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
I rent cars from ZRH several times a year and my rental has always had a Swiss vignette already on the windshield.
Agreed. I don't know if it's technically 'the law' but I would always expect a Swiss-plated rental car to have a vignette. I would refuse one that didn't. If you were to rent at, say GVA and get one from the French side, then the pot-luck advice applies - they tend to become more frequent later in the year when more renters have been forced to buy one.

As for crossing into Liechtenstein - absolutely no issue. TBH I rarely check these days if I'm allowed to cross a Western European border in a rental (except where by ferry, or to/ from the UK); between Switzerland and Liechtenstein - even less so.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
What about renting a car in Germany and driving through both Switzerland and Austria? Sounds like they are easy to get in Austria. Is the same true for Switzerland?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by pbiflyer
What about renting a car in Germany and driving through both Switzerland and Austria? Sounds like they are easy to get in Austria. Is the same true for Switzerland?
You'll have to pay 40chf if you don't have a autobahn sticker at the border going into Switzerland, and again for the Austrian one, which you can get for a limited time, and is cheaper. Still, the car might be enough cheaper to make up for that. The friendly Swiss border guards will be happy to sell you an autobahn sticker. Or you can buy one pretty much anywhere: gas stations, post offices, groceries, etc.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 4:48 am

The whole discussion about CHF 40 sticker for Swiss autobahns is a tad… academical :-)
I rented a car in CH many times and never got a car without vignette already on the windshield.
Yes, you may need to buy it when you rent a car in France or Germany and want to enter CH, but for a car rented in CH...no.

Take it from a practical point of view (and the Swiss are very practical) - why would a first renter of the year need to found a sticker for the followers to use it free of chargé for the rest of the year?
The small car rent is ~CHF 40 per day so paying CHF 40 for vignette would mean you pay for an additional day...without having additional one....hehe

2018 stickers were valid till 31 January 2019. Renting a car without a sticker now (end February) would mean that the car did not leave the parking lot for the whole month ( there's practically nowhere to go in Switzerland without a sticker).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.