FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
The confirmed movement day is: 5-6 April 2019
Print Wikipost

Istanbul 'New' Airport ( IST/ISL ) - Master Thread ✈️

Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold, HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by behyx
Thank you once again ISTFlyer!

Do you know how long does it take from Sultanahmet to IST if I were to take the 6.40am bus?
Assuming that it's a weekday it would take around 45 mins to an hour.
If it's a weekend, the journey may be shorter.

Also, the bus would pick up passengers at several points and the number of passengers waiting would affect the travel time.
behyx likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 10:05 am

Airport or hotel van?

Were 4 passengers with 6 suitcases and are staying at the Marriott Sisli. I contacted the hotel, and they quoted me 160 euros plus 18% VAT for a one-way hotel transfer. Seems expensive.

Should I get a taxi at the airport instead? Do they have vans to fit all our bags and passengers?

I read here that the taxis there rip you off and also that its disorganized and the wait time for a taxi at the airport is really long. We have two small kids so I dont want any added stress.

Suggestions are appreciated.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold, HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by spideysense
Were 4 passengers with 6 suitcases and are staying at the Marriott Sisli. I contacted the hotel, and they quoted me 160 euros plus 18% VAT for a one-way hotel transfer. Seems expensive.

Should I get a taxi at the airport instead? Do they have vans to fit all our bags and passengers?

I read here that the taxis there rip you off and also that its disorganized and the wait time for a taxi at the airport is really long. We have two small kids so I dont want any added stress.

Suggestions are appreciated.
160 for an airport transfer is %100 A TOURIST SCAM and avoid it unless you are a billionaire and unless you like spending money too much.
There are luxury taxis at the airport ( Mercedes Vito ) which would charge you the double of the taximeter and would cost ( 40-50 ) o/w. You could put your carry-on bags inside the seating area and your bags back in the trunk. ( I am not sure if 6 large suitcases would fit ). The other option would be to split into 2 regular taxis which would cost the same price.

In your case, the information about the sizes of suitcases would help the most.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 1:14 pm

Thanks. Ill get a Viano from the airport then for 50 euros.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To put it in perspective, that amount is currently a bit over 1300 TL. A normal taxi should not cost you more than 120 under any circumstances, possibly as little as 100 TL. Listen to IST's above above. That number word is robbery...... And you are worried that the taxis were doing you off......
Old Jun 24, 2019, 5:46 am

Programs: QR Privilege Club
Let's see what kind of a "luxury lounge" this one is going to be. My rather distant information is that it's going to be smaller thatn the current two lounges, in area.

https://airlines.einnews.com/article...ontent=article
Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: SU Gold, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Also IGA Pass would offer yearly memberships with 3 tiers ( Plus, Extra and Premium ).

The first tier, Plus, would offer fast track, priority check-in ( airline list not definitive ) and IGA Lounge entry for only the member. The price for this membership is 299.

The second tier, Extra, would offer all benefits of Plus members plus free buggy service from concourse entrances to gates and 30 days of free valet or carpark service. The price for this membership is 399.

The third tier, Premium, which is worth 799 would offer all benefits of Extra for the member and one companion alongside with 90 days of free valet or carpark and 10 free transfers from the city to the airport.

In my opinion, the prices are really expensive and none of the packages are reasonable for passengers having status with airlines. Maybe they could be reasonable for *S/OWR/STE tier on alliances status passengers or passengers who fly a different alliance carrier every different time. The Extra package could be reasonable for travelers insisting going to the airport by their private cars, however, it would be really stupid to drive your own car there unless several situations as there would be buses and shuttles from almost all districts from Istanbul. I won't comment on the Premium membership which could only fits for someone flying 50+ more times a year from Istanbul Airport.

Edit: All prices excludes taxes worth %18.
Seems like they have changed their policy to somewhat better conditions

Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unlike TAV, which could talk about "all" the other airports that you had access to, IGA is a one trick pony. Let's be serious here. The IGA lounge is mediocre at best, now that I have been through it 3 times (vs. the TK lounge that I have been through 11 times) I can say that it is really disappointing just how mediocre it is.......they had a chance to do something extraordinary....and then even handed a lifeline to "BTA" the worst caterer in Turkey.............who we all know from the horrible catering they provided at the Millenium lounge among other outlets. Assuming that one already has one or many flavors of elite status, the only thing that anyone would really care about here is the buggy service...............Having used the buggy service, I can say that they barely have enough of them, and they keep people waiting.......they can barely handle a half full KE Biz cabin, let alone a serious amount of passengers. I heard it through the grapevine that someone high up at IGA has been looking at these boards occasionally and presenting insights that he has found as his own brain storms....................So Mr. IGA, if you are reading.............. Come up with a good fast track and buggy deal that works for the ISt based road warrior who also travels with his family a few times a year, no "city transfers" no meaningful "valet parking", just stick with that and the "priorities". DO it at the first price point and you will have many takers...........
dutchgirlDH likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 1:51 pm

My impression of new IST is mostly about very poor layout planning. I can understand the Grand Bazaar logic of those in IGA who placed all transit security checkpoints in the centre of terminal to make every passengers go through shops... But this logic fails to see that this extra mile running across the whole terminal to checkpoint and back to the gates steals the very time the transit passenger would have otherwise spent in shops or restaurants. I'm sure the commercial result of this bazaar tactics is zero or even negative.

And it also denies TK the possibility to sell short connections, thus spoiling the home airline commercial strategy. Which is totally beyond my understanding.

As TK now has a share in IGA, I hope they would make an effort to install additional transit security facilities between A and B gates and another one at F gates.

Just wondering - is placing TK lounges entrances at E1 and C1 also the result of IGA's desire that premium passengers should pass some shops along the way? )
ISTFlyer likes this.

Last edited by Eurocity; Jun 25, 2019 at 1:59 pm
Old Jul 1, 2019, 9:08 am

Seems like several routes of Hava.ist shuttle buses have been recently cancelled / merged into other routes / converted into regular IETT city buses.

Currently there seems to be 12 Hava.ist shuttles (or 15, including variations), instead of initial 20 in April - June, and 6 IETT regular buses instead of initial 3.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eurocity
Seems like several routes of Hava.ist shuttle buses have been recently cancelled / merged into other routes / converted into regular IETT city buses.

Currently there seems to be 12 Hava.ist shuttles (or 15, including variations), instead of initial 20 in April - June, and 6 IETT regular buses instead of initial 3.
The reason for this is that they have planned Havaist shuttles and IETT ( municipality buses ) at the same exact route. Ex: Halkalı, Mahmutbey and Mecidiyeky lines
Also, the Arnavutky and Gktrk/Kemerburgaz shuttles were aiming airport employees however, they prefer to use buses because of the monthly transportation card they are getting from their company.
For the Zekeriyaky route, I would comment that there would be just a few people in that area using those buses as someone who could afford to live in a 1m+ plus house, could afford to pay a private transfer or a carpark.
Eurocity likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IST, when do you think we are, 2013? While there are a few crazy villas at that price, that are not typical of the area (10 bedrooms, lots of land) I would posit that the average villa price currently is something like 3-400.000 Euros, not 1 million PLUS. Furthermore its a buyers market..............
Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:10 pm

Trying to get some insight into this airport. A friend of mine is having her 13 year old fly solo from ACC to LAX via IST. Since she will be also be connecting to either a Swiss or Lufthansa flight, unaccompanied minor is not an option and both airlines would allow her to fly alone. Flight from ACC to IST seems to be delayed a lot. How much time do you really need to connect? From what I can see, TK630 typically lands at a B gate and the connecting flight is out of either A or B gates. Since Zurich airport is much simpler than Frankfurt, the preference would be for her to continue with Swiss but that would mean only 1 hour 40 mins for connecting assuming flight is on time. Frankfurt would allow 2 hours 15 mins which is a bit more reasonable although it would mean facing a bigger airport as a 13 year old.

Also any advice for how to navigate this airport step by step for a 13 year old so she can make it to her gate with a bit more ease? TIA
Old Jul 2, 2019, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by iexaltu
A friend of mine is having her 13 year old fly solo from ACC to LAX via IST. Since she will be also be connecting to either a Swiss or Lufthansa flight... Since Zurich airport is much simpler than Frankfur
I don't quite get the route.
Is it ACC - IST - LAX? or ACC - IST - (ZRH / FRA) - LAX? or are they choosing between IST, FRA and ZRH as a transfer point?
If it is ACC - IST - (ZRH / FRA) - LAX, is it TK or LH / LX, who flies the second segment? Is it all on a single ticket?
ISTFlyer likes this.

Last edited by Eurocity; Jul 3, 2019 at 6:39 am
Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:00 am

Single ticket but choice of flying to either Zurich (Swiss) or Frankfurt (Lufthansa) to connect to LAX. The flight to both Zurich and Frankfurt are on Turkish.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.