FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Europe (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe-477/)
-   -   Istanbul 'New' Airport ( IST/ISL ) - Master Thread ✈️ (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe/1955797-istanbul-new-airport-ist-isl-master-thread.html)

ISTFlyer Oct 28, 2019 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Worcester (Post 31673135)
If I have a international flight arriving at midnight and a domestic connection (unprotected) leaving at 2am. Is that doable (risky I know) or completely impossible?

Would you have checked baggage?

If not the dedicated international-domestic transfer passport booths are always empty so if you don't have checked baggage the transfer is completely doable if you don't have checked baggage.
In case you have checked baggage, the doability would depend on the airline combination.

By the way, if you miss your connecting flight due to the delay of the first flight, a walk-in ticket for your final destination can't be expensive than ₺449 ( €70 ) according to the Turkish Directorate of Civil Aviation rules.

Worcester Oct 29, 2019 3:42 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer (Post 31673763)
Would you have checked baggage?

If not the dedicated international-domestic transfer passport booths are always empty so if you don't have checked baggage the transfer is completely doable if you don't have checked baggage.
In case you have checked baggage, the doability would depend on the airline combination.

By the way, if you miss your connecting flight due to the delay of the first flight, a walk-in ticket for your final destination can't be expensive than ₺449 ( €70 ) according to the Turkish Directorate of Civil Aviation rules.

Yes baggage BA > TK

I think I will risk it, only choice now is to risk it or guarantee 4 hour wait till morning. Least there are plenty of flights to Izmir.

ISTFlyer Oct 29, 2019 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Worcester (Post 31676829)
Yes baggage BA > TK

I think I will risk it, only choice now is to risk it or guarantee 4 hour wait till morning. Least there are plenty of flights to Izmir.

BA bags generally arrive fast at the carousel at IST so you should be OK

Worcester Oct 30, 2019 1:14 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer (Post 31678733)
BA bags generally arrive fast at the carousel at IST so you should be OK

Thanks

Braswch Nov 1, 2019 8:15 am

WelcomePickups

Has anyone used Welcome Pickups from IST? Looks like it's a company/App out of Athen's. Looks like a good alternative now that there is no Uber in Istanbul.

Just looking for the best advice for a friend's family that's headed to IST.

Thanks!

Christopher

ISTFlyer Nov 3, 2019 8:37 am

As a local, I would suggest not to use any transfer service from/to the airport as they are tourist scams.

Taxis and public transportation is the best way to go to/from Istanbul Airport.

Braswch Nov 3, 2019 9:09 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer (Post 31696560)
As a local, I would suggest not to use any transfer service from/to the airport as they are tourist scams.

Taxis and public transportation is the best way to go to/from Istanbul Airport.

Thanks,

Any chance as a tourist that taking a taxi can get scammed? If taking taxi will obviously have to have ot get Lira at the airport....

ISTFlyer Nov 3, 2019 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Braswch (Post 31696646)
Thanks,

Any chance as a tourist that taking a taxi can get scammed? If taking taxi will obviously have to have ot get Lira at the airport....

The airport taxis would not be scammed and they are inspected in a really strict way. Most airport taxis would accept cash in foreign currency and some would also accept credit cards. If you felt you are scammed, they are pretty fast responding and making you the relevant refund.

The taxis in the airport should not be confused with the taxis in Atatürk Airport and the taxis in touristic areas. From the city to the airport, if you're going to stay in a touristic district, be sure that you pay the amount written on the Taximeter and the driver is not a scam. Just to clarify, there is no fixed fare on taxis in Istanbul.

ISTFlyer Dec 5, 2019 9:37 am

The SkyTeam lounge has opened today and would serve SkyTeam Business Class, First Class & Elite Plus passengers.
Currently no update on PriorityPass access.

Source:
https://www.airporthaber.com/havacil...lonu-acti.html

nwflyboy Dec 8, 2019 12:12 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer (Post 31808482)
The SkyTeam lounge has opened today and would serve SkyTeam Business Class, First Class & Elite Plus passengers.

Is this available to arriving passengers, or only for those departing? We will be flying from Paris to IST on Air France in business class. I would love to grab a shower on arrival (scheduled arrival time is 4:00 am) before we catch a domestic connection onward to Izmir.
Thanks.

ISTFlyer Dec 8, 2019 6:41 am

Originally Posted by nwflyboy (Post 31817463)
Is this available to arriving passengers, or only for those departing? We will be flying from Paris to IST on Air France in business class. I would love to grab a shower on arrival (scheduled arrival time is 4:00 am) before we catch a domestic connection onward to Izmir.
Thanks.

Only available for international departing passengers.

sabbasolo Dec 10, 2019 8:22 am

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...8288efb75a.png
One example

I see from Flight Radar 24 that once a month for the last 3 months, SQ392 from SIN to IST has diverted to ISL. Always towards the end of the month, 23/Nov, 18/Oct, and 27/Sep. There are a few other flights where the status is unknown (which is also unusual).

Does anyone know the reasons for these diversions I am planning this route for 20/Jan, and considering the connection risks.

ISTFlyer Dec 10, 2019 9:17 am

The image you have provided is a common glitch of Flightradar24 because there is no proper ADS-B device at Istanbul Airport ( IST ).
Flights are not diverted to ISL-Istanbul Atatürk Aiport. In addition, ISL only serves cargo operations and VIP flights so there is no passenger terminal over there ( not anymore ).

So, be comfortable when booking connections from IST.

sabbasolo Dec 11, 2019 1:09 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer (Post 31825420)
The image you have provided is a common glitch of Flightradar24 because there is no proper ADS-B device at Istanbul Airport ( IST ).
Flights are not diverted to ISL-Istanbul Atatürk Aiport.

Thanks, nothing like Flyertalk for helpful information.

Worcester Dec 23, 2019 4:32 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer (Post 31825420)
Flights are not diverted to ISL-Istanbul Atatürk Aiport. In addition, ISL only serves cargo operations and VIP flights so there is no passenger terminal over there ( not anymore ).

So, be comfortable when booking connections from IST.

How close do those devices have to be as I have a house in Zekerikoy which is 23 km. To far?