Last edit by: ISTFlyer
The confirmed movement day is: 5-6 April 2019
Print Wikipost

Istanbul 'New' Airport ( IST/ISL ) - Master Thread ✈️

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2019, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
As me and mafaky has introduced this discussion in the past, the first official news about the failing VDGS system is now in the press. Turkish aviation news website 'Airporthaber' has stated that only the VDGS ( Visual Docking Guidance System ) at domestic gates are working without issues. Currently aircrafts are parked to international gates with the help of marshalers or they try to park to an estimate spot without assistance.

Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
According to flightradar24, the average delay today was 5 minutes.
On arrival yes
Departure is average 35 min...
Old Apr 13, 2019, 5:30 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Deleted.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 5:17 am

flightradar24.con now has ADB-S coverage within the airport (since yesterday), so it is possible to track planes from / to gate and while taxiing.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 12:36 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by criced
Still no reports about the new lounge?😋
For those interested in the non-TK lounge, the UK based points and miles site, Head for Points has just published a comprehensive review of the IGA lounge.
Old May 2, 2019, 10:12 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

I'm mostly curious about how to get to/from the new airport, say starting at SAW/Topkapı/Istiklal Caddesi.
Old May 2, 2019, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
I'm mostly curious about how to get to/from the new airport, say starting at SAW/Topkapı/Istiklal Caddesi.
From SAW: Havaist bus İST-8
From Topkapı ( Ulubatlı Metro Station ): Havaist bus İST-1
From İstiklal Caddesi ( Taksim ): Havaist bus İST-19

For schedules: hava.ist
All buses run 7 days 24 hours
Old May 20, 2019, 12:19 pm

The new airport is actually very nice.

I flew through there a few weeks ago and here are some thoughts.
The airport is stunning architecturally. It's a really beautiful design and didn't come off as particularly user-unfriendly.
The concessions are basically all up and running. Due to the fall in the Lira, they also seem like pretty reasonable value in international terms, though they aren't in Istanbul terms of course.
The Havaist buses are actually very convenient. They run frequently and are very good value. The airport really does need to setup a better system though in helping tourists as the website is really not setup to help those who don't know the city. Even a few maps would help a visitor know better where to go. They routes aren't on Google maps which is another issue. The staff also speak pretty good English as the airport and termini.
Though the man at the IST Havaist booth did try to con me out of 50 Lira. I gave him 50 and then he said I had to pay for the card. I told him strongly that I'd already given it to him and he backed down and said he'd 'forgot'. I wonder how many people a day he does con though. IDK, maybe I am being unfair - but I've seen this done in several countries.

Hopefully the airport can work on the niggles with the buses. A bit more clarity in information would be really helpful for foreigners who don't know much about the districts of Istanbul.

On Istanbul, what a lovely city. I can't believe it's taken me this long to visit. Definitely recommended.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
I will be staying at Hilton Garden Inn Ataturk in a few weeks, arriving and departing from the new airport. Do any of the bus services stop anywhere near the hotel? I've seen starting points and end points but can't find info on where they stop en-route. Thanks for any guidance!
Old Jun 6, 2019, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ankomonkey
I will be staying at Hilton Garden Inn Ataturk in a few weeks, arriving and departing from the new airport. Do any of the bus services stop anywhere near the hotel? I've seen starting points and end points but can't find info on where they stop en-route. Thanks for any guidance!
Municipality bus H-1 departs from Mahmutbey Metro to Istanbul Airport and municipality bus H-4 departs from the arrivals level of Atatürk Airport to Istanbul Airport. They are both close to Hilton Garden Inn near the old airport. A taxi to Mahmutbey Metro to/from the hotel would cost ₺10 ( around $1.50-2.00 )
mafaky likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Municipality bus H-1 departs from Mahmutbey Metro to Istanbul Airport and municipality bus H-4 departs from the arrivals level of Atatürk Airport to Istanbul Airport. They are both close to Hilton Garden Inn near the old airport. A taxi to Mahmutbey Metro to/from the hotel would cost ₺10 ( around $1.50-2.00 )
Thanks @ISTFlyer. You know everything IST, TK and general Istanbul!
mafaky and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ankomonkey
Thanks @ISTFlyer. You know everything IST, TK and general Istanbul!
Everyone knows about their hometown
Old Jun 14, 2019, 5:39 pm

I swear I saw from https://hava.ist/en/stops there is an airport bus going to/fro Sultanahmet at Atmeydani Cd. road. Hence I book my hotel super near the stop.

However when I check again today, there seems to be no Sultanahmet stop. I don't suppose they pull it out as it's such a popular and touristy location. Could anyone tell me what's wrong?
Old Jun 14, 2019, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by behyx
I swear I saw from https://hava.ist/en/stops there is an airport bus going to/fro Sultanahmet at Atmeydani Cd. road. Hence I book my hotel super near the stop.

However when I check again today, there seems to be no Sultanahmet stop. I don't suppose they pull it out as it's such a popular and touristy location. Could anyone tell me what's wrong?
I think that's an issue after the website has introduced a new interface.
You could see the appropriate schedule here:
https://www.iett.istanbul/tr/main/ha...Durakları
The times with X followed by would be the ones starting at Sultanahmet.
behyx likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 5:23 am

I think that's an issue after the website has introduced a new interface.
You could see the appropriate schedule here:
https://www.iett.istanbul/tr/main/ha...Durakları
The times with X followed by would be the ones starting at Sultanahmet.
Thank you once again ISTFlyer!

Do you know how long does it take from Sultanahmet to IST if I were to take the 6.40am bus?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.