Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

2 days on Malta - how to spend

2 days on Malta - how to spend

Old Jan 31, 19, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold - ooooh!
Question 2 days on Malta - how to spend

I'll be on Malta for work but have added 2 days to see a bit of the sights as well (it's actually from around 6 PM on Day 0).

I'm considering taking the ferry to Gozo the evening of Day 0, spending Day 1 there (returning to the Big Island that evening), and seeing the Big Island on Day 2.

My interests are history, architecture, nature scenery, and photography. Not really big on most museums, except maybe ones that have especially noteworthy works. I do enjoy historic sites with docents/interpreters more than self-guided places (unless they are visually interesting). Also enjoy meeting and taking with local folk.

Anyone have any thoughts on what to see/do for those two days? Any opinions on which of the featured "must-sees" on tourism sites are really must-sees and which are letdowns?

Is Gozo worth a day?

Thanks!
Old Feb 1, 19, 3:41 am

Programs: M&M FTL
Originally Posted by Kamalaasaa View Post
My interests are history, architecture, nature scenery, and photography. Not really big on most museums, except maybe ones that have especially noteworthy works. I do enjoy historic sites with docents/interpreters more than self-guided places (unless they are visually interesting). Also enjoy meeting and taking with local folk.

Anyone have any thoughts on what to see/do for those two days? Any opinions on which of the featured "must-sees" on tourism sites are really must-sees and which are letdowns?
Not sure about must-sees, but I found Marsaxlokk quite pleasant, picturesque and a nice place to spend a couple of lazy hours, and grab a beer and some excellent seafood at one of the many restaurants on the seafront. There's a direct bus from Valletta.
Old Feb 1, 19, 4:25 am

Programs: Hyatt
Given your interests and very limited time, I’d spend the evening of day 1 in Valletta, morning of day 2 in Valletta (visit St John’s co-cathedral, get an audio guide. It is more interesting than any museum), then visit Mdina, explore its streets, have lunch on the city walls and return to Valletta in the evening. Leave Gozo for your next trip, when you have more time.
Old Feb 1, 19, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by theSaladDays View Post
Not sure about must-sees, but I found Marsaxlokk quite pleasant, picturesque and a nice place to spend a couple of lazy hours, and grab a beer and some excellent seafood at one of the many restaurants on the seafront. There's a direct bus from Valletta.
Sounds good - I do like seafood!
Old Feb 1, 19, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VitaliU View Post
Given your interests and very limited time, Iíd spend the evening of day 1 in Valletta, morning of day 2 in Valletta (visit St Johnís co-cathedral, get an audio guide. It is more interesting than any museum), then visit Mdina, explore its streets, have lunch on the city walls and return to Valletta in the evening. Leave Gozo for your next trip, when you have more time.
i actually have two full days (thatís why I said I arrive on Day 0).

Any suggestions for Day 2? Your idea for Day 1 sounds good.
Old Feb 1, 19, 12:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt
I see. Then I would either spend Day 2 exploring Senglea and Vittoriosa (Birgu) or go to Gozo. That would depend on the time of the year, weather, etc.

Not sure if you have already book your hotel but I highly recommend the Falconeria and their restaurant L'Artiglio in Valletta.
Old Feb 1, 19, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

That would depend on the time of the year, weather, etc.
Time is late February. I thought I included that but see now I forgot to!
Old Feb 2, 19, 2:51 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
For nature/scenery you could go to Dingli (near to Mdina but check bus timetables unless you have some other transport option) and walk along the coast to Ħaġar Qim, which I enjoyed visiting but may not be your thing if you prefer "docents/interpreters more than self-guided".

The salt pans at Marsalforn (Gozo) were also interesting and you are likely to meet "local folk" along the way
Old Feb 2, 19, 6:29 am

Hagar Qim is amazing. Itís not that big so you donít need a guide, and thereís a video at the beginning that gives you a good overview. There is so much to see in Valetta, we toured a fort and also saw the co-cathedral.
Old Feb 6, 19, 1:03 pm

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
The Hypogeum could be well worth a visit - if you can get a booking for the tour - ?al Saflieni Hypogeum ę Heritage Malta

Lots of other ideas on the site if that is fully booked. (OH and I booked in December for 28th Feb).
Old Feb 9, 19, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions!
Old Feb 11, 19, 4:44 pm

Programs: Westjet Rewards, Platinum
Given your interests and very limited time, Iíd spend the evening of day 1 in Valletta, morning of day 2 in Valletta (visit St Johnís co-cathedral, get an audio guide. It is more interesting than any museum), then visit Mdina, explore its streets, have lunch on the city walls and return to Valletta in the evening. Leave Gozo for your next trip, when you have more time.
I second this. If you like history, Valletta has heaps.
Old Mar 3, 19, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Figured Iíd report back. First day I ended up with just the afternoon free. Got to tour the new parliament building (interesting architecture, and great views from the roof) and then walked around Valletta a bit with some local folk I had been introduced to (including Upper Barrakka Gardens). Ended with a hot chocolate at a cafe (very good, but definitely not the cocoa I was expecting).

Second day I went to the Rotunda Church in Mosta (aka the Mosta Dome, which name I had seen on a map and figured must be a sports facility), including the WW2 tunnels underneath it - church was interesting, tunnels so-so - and then to the Sliema-Valletta ferry, which turned out not to be running due to rough water. So had to backtrack on the bus to get to Valletta.

Toured St Johnís Co-Cathedral (jaw-dropping) and the State Rooms and Armory at the Palace (moderately interesting and uninteresting, respectively). Only did the Armory because it was included with the Valletta Card.

Walked around some more (taking pictures) down to Fort Saint Elmo and then the Siege Bell and Valletta-3 Cities ferry (which was running; great views). From there went to Mdina, arriving after sunset (so got to enjoy it as the Silent City). Finished the day with rabbit stew at restaurant near my hotel (tasty, but the rabbit meat itself was surprisingly flavorless, except for the leg portion).

Funny story about the stew: the waiter said it came with chips (fries) or baked potato. I envisioned a huge russet and opted for chips. He gave me a really funny look, so I quickly changed to baked potato (and wondered why he had offered me a choice!). When the food came, it included what Iíd call roasted potatoes - definitely the right choice.
Old Mar 3, 19, 11:45 pm

but the rabbit meat itself was surprisingly flavorless,
Not surprising at all, rabbit is not that tasty, rather like chicken; which is why you usually get it cooked in a more or less light way. If you want "it" tasty, you should eat a hare stew, but unfortunately you won't find that that easily.
Old Mar 4, 19, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KLouis View Post
rabbit is not that tasty, rather like chicken
I'd say plain chicken Ė definitely dark meat, and even white meat Ė has more flavor than rabbit does!

Search this Thread