Wiki Posts
Search

36 hours in Zurich - first time visiting

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
36 hours in Zurich - first time visiting

We have never been to Zurich and we'll be spending 36 hours there in early October - landing at 6 am and leaving the next day at 7:30 pm. I am in the very beginning of my research as to what we want to see and do but we will most likely not be traveling out of the city itself, unless there is a something/someplace we absolutely must do or see (suggestions?).

I am looking for:

1) hotel suggestions based on location - Marriott/SPG to use points or certificates, easy commute to and from the airport, and fairly central to the best things to see and do in the city itself. I would like to get this booked sooner rather than later, then continue to research plans for the time we're there.
2) Train (24 hour day pass? other options?) or Uber?
3) suggestions for best things to do in such a short time

Thank you!
4) restaurant suggestions? We have to at least eat fondue and chocolate, right?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 1MM *G (recovered GS), SPG Nothing, Hilton Nothing, AA Nothing
A few ideas:
1. Bikes for "rent" (actually free). Bike halfway around the lake, and take the Ferry across and return. https://www.zuerich.com/en/visit/sport/zurich-on-wheels and Herzlich Willkommen - Zürichsee-Fähre Horgen-Meilen AG : Zürichsee-Fähre Horgen-Meilen AG
2. Take the tram up to the Uetliberg and go for a hike - up to the top/tower, then along the ridge. Take the cable car down and return. https://www.myswitzerland.com/en-ch/...felsenegg.html
3. National Museum near the main railway station is great.
4. Zoo is great if you like zoos.

Get a local transport pass: https://www.zvv.ch/zvv/en/travelcard...s.tab-tab.html and/or train ticket. There may be a pass that combines ZRH-city center train plus local transit; ask at the ticket counter in the ZRH rail station.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Graciecatt
We have never been to Zurich and we'll be spending 36 hours there in early October - landing at 6 am and leaving the next day at 7:30 pm. I am in the very beginning of my research as to what we want to see and do but we will most likely not be traveling out of the city itself, unless there is a something/someplace we absolutely must do or see (suggestions?).

I am looking for:

1) hotel suggestions based on location - Marriott/SPG to use points or certificates, easy commute to and from the airport, and fairly central to the best things to see and do in the city itself. I would like to get this booked sooner rather than later, then continue to research plans for the time we're there.
2) Train (24 hour day pass? other options?) or Uber?
3) suggestions for best things to do in such a short time

Thank you!
4) restaurant suggestions? We have to at least eat fondue and chocolate, right?
There is a Marriott less than a 10 minute walk from the Hauptbahnhof.

Zürich has a great public transit system. You don’t really need Uber.

I can’t recommend a restaurant for fondue in Zürich as I rarely eat dinner there. I usually have fondue at a friend’s home. The last restaurant that I had dinner in Zürich was the Zeughauskeller, which is near the Hauptbahnhof.

https://www.zeughauskeller.ch/en/home

As far as chocolate, you can try one of the Sprüngli Cafes, however, IMO, the best chocolate in Zürich is found at Vollenweider’s near the Opera. Others might suggest Teuscher, Laduree, etc, but IMO, they are not the same quality as Vollenweider. I’m in Zürich about 8x/year and I always go stock up at Vollenweider before I fly back home.
roadwarrier likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 2:54 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
All of the above are great suggestions. A trip down to Rapperswil to see the Castle there might be interesting, if you've not too many castles. The Kunstmuseum (Art museum) is also pretty good. If you're out here on a Sunday, be forewarned that pretty much all the shops outside of a few railway stations, and the airport are closed.

Luzern is just a bit over an hour by train away from Zürich, and would probably be worth it if the weather is good. In the other direction, near Schaffhausen, the Rheinfall is the largest (not highest though) waterfall in Europe.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 5:42 am

Programs: OZ*G, QF Gold
For fondue, check out Swiss Chuchi or Frau Gerolds Garten.

For treats, Conditorei Schober is a lovely historic cafe.

My favorite market in Zürich is probably the Markthalle Im Viadukt - wonderful food, a great cheese shop (Tritt Käse), as well as some fashion shops. And one tram stop away from this market is Wurst & Moritz, a little fast food outlet which is one of my favorite places in town to grab a plate of wurst and some french fries.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I enjoyed the Sheraton Zurich Neues Schloss hotel when I stayed a night in Zurich a few years back. It's right next to the lake, and you can be in the heart of central Zurich with a short (5-7 minute) walk.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Thank you all! I have noted all your activity and food suggestions and will start some research. We are continuing on to Cairo for a 10-day guided small group tour (booked mostly with safety in mind, I hate tours) and accommodations and food are sure to be less than stellar according to reviews. So we are especially looking forward to good food and accommodations in Zurich before hitting Egypt. I opted for the Zurich Marriott, but was torn between that and the Renaissance Tower. Location-wise, the Renaissance seems farther away from the City Center but I'm still wondering if it's far enough away to merit using points on the Cat 6 Zurich Marriott versus a free night certificate for Renaissance Tower, a Cat 5.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 1:25 pm

The Renaissance Tower isn't in such an exciting part of Zürich. But you'll not be all that far away from downtown. That said, the Renaissance is near an interesting market called 'im Viadukt' The Marriott is pretty close to the Niederdorf, which is the touristy center of Zürich, which is actually pretty cool.

With your comment on the food, you really should head over to the Zeughauskeller, and get a nice Zürigeschnatzles and rösti or a schweinehaxen. Then you have the rest of your trip to burn off those calories! And a trip to Mövenpick for some ice cream near Sechselautenplatz is likewise advised.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Having been to Cairo, I would advise to be careful of consuming food, liquids, and always travel with another trusted male companion.

Before traveling to Eqypt, pack some sealed snack bars to eat (e.g. Nature Valley Granola).

Be forewarned, tourists are often surrounded by people (especially children) looking for a handout. Can become uncomfortable if one opens purse (or even pocket) carrying anything valuable.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:08 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Most museums in Zurich are closed on Mondays,
The airport is only 10 minutes from the central city by train[lots/hr)--so staying near the airport vs downtown should not be an issue.
A short boat trip on lake Zurich is nice (90 minutes).
A Zurich Card for 24 hrs gives one many museums for free and includes free transport for a large area.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:41 pm

Another vote for the Zeughauskeller. Great comfort food, just loved it! Another hotel you might consider is the Radisson Blu airport location, since you're there such a short time. You can walk to the train only a few short stops to Central station. There's an airport shuttle, not free, but very cheap.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
+1 for most things closed on Mondays! Train service is good, stayed at the airport Hilton for 2 nights.

Visited the National Museum on a Tuesday last month - was in the process of being reorganised for a new (transport?) exhibition, so about half the site was fenced off - probably finished by the time you go. Good archaeology, stuff on significant Swiss books, the 1918 general strike. Huge Bloodhound surface to air missile at the top of a long staircase near some wall art, without signage or context - I suspect it was too big to move! Not as comprehensive as I would have expected for a national museum, though.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by greg5
With your comment on the food, you really should head over to the Zeughauskeller, and get a nice Zürigeschnatzles and rösti or a schweinehaxen. Then you have the rest of your trip to burn off those calories! And a trip to Mövenpick for some ice cream near Sechselautenplatz is likewise advised.
I would order the meat that's cooked and served on a sword (literally). I quite enjoyed that...perhaps a little kitschy, but it was also quite good ^
Old Mar 3, 2019, 10:36 am

Are most places closed on Mondays in Switzerland?
Old Mar 3, 2019, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by carsearch1982
Are most places closed on Mondays in Switzerland?
Many of the museums are, as they are open on Sundays. But most things are open.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.