FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Europe (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe-477/)
-   -   Swiss Army Duffle bags ques. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe/1952277-swiss-army-duffle-bags-ques.html)

nrr Jan 21, 2019 5:31 pm

Swiss Army Duffle bags ques.

On weekends one sees lots of Swiss men with official Swiss Army duffle bags, I noticed that these duffle bags have the German, French and Italian equivalents of "Swiss Army" but also in ENGLISH "Swiss Army"--but NOT in ROMANSCH (the 4th official language of Switzerland)...why would the ENGLISH "Swiss Army" be used?

malmostoso Jan 21, 2019 11:34 pm

You can see here the official equipment of the Swiss army, and the duffle bag has 5 inscriptions including "Armada Svizra".

It would be interesting to see what bag you are referring to, maybe it's some sort of fashion brand which is not official equipment?

KayVeeBee Jan 22, 2019 12:16 am

Romansch is actually not a full official language. It does not have the same status as German, French or Italian.

KLouis Jan 22, 2019 6:27 am

Originally Posted by KayVeeBee (Post 30684640)
Romansch is actually not a full official language. It does not have the same status as German, French or Italian.

Well, yes and no. Article 4 of the Swiss constitution states

"Die Landessprachen sind Deutsch, Französisch, Italienisch und Rätoromanisch"
while Articcle 70 states

"Die Amtssprachen des Bundes sind Deutsch, Französisch und Italienisch. Im Verkehr mit Personen rätoromanischer Sprache ist auch das Rätoromanische Amtssprache des Bundes."

nrr Jan 22, 2019 6:47 am

Originally Posted by malmostoso (Post 30684540)
You can see here the official equipment of the Swiss army, and the duffle bag has 5 inscriptions including "Armada Svizra".

It would be interesting to see what bag you are referring to, maybe it's some sort of fashion brand which is not official equipment?

I saw lots of these duffle bags, they all had German, French, Italian and English, no Romansch. But back to my original quest. why English at all?

ajGoes Jan 22, 2019 8:22 am

Because English is the de facto lingua franca of Europe?

Jaimito Cartero Jan 22, 2019 8:27 am

Marketing purposes, I’d guess. Since more of their goods are sold outside of Switzerland, they have to market them to a worldwise audience.

KLouis Jan 22, 2019 10:48 am

Official (in the real sense of the word) Swiss Army equipment is not marketed anywhere, at least not officially (again, in the real sense of the word). For example, a real Swiss Army knife looks different from what people think a real Swiss Army knife looks like.

KayVeeBee Jan 24, 2019 10:07 am

Originally Posted by ajGoes (Post 30685920)
Because English is the de facto lingua franca of Europe?

And the Swiss Army does sometimes travel outside Switzerland. Where they have to be recognised...

:D! Jan 24, 2019 11:18 am

Probably for the same reason that Swiss trains around Zurich have German and English announcements (sometimes additionally French), and around Geneva have French and English (sometimes German), but I have yet to hear Italian announcements on a Swiss train as I have not been to Ticino.

nrr Jan 24, 2019 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by :D! (Post 30695647)
Probably for the same reason that Swiss trains around Zurich have German and English announcements (sometimes additionally French), and around Geneva have French and English (sometimes German), but I have yet to hear Italian announcements on a Swiss train as I have not been to Ticino.

In the Italian area they DO make announcements in Italian (and sometimes English and/or German).
On trains in the Graubeden area in Romansch and English and/or German--occasionally English only.:)
Switz. is very tourist oriented, so using "other" languages are based on the "audience" they are dealing with. In Zermat there are lots of signs in Japanese--I've arrived in Zermat and the station plaza was wall to wall Japanese (tour groups).