Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Swiss passport full: what are the options

Old Jan 20, 19, 4:32 pm
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; Shangrila Jade; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G

So… despite my passport being only 5 years old ('13), it's already almost full and I'm starting to worry about being turned away from countries. I have a packed travel schedule int he next few months.

What are the best options? Can one order a new thicker passport to avoid this problem in the future? Should I lug an extension around on the same passport, or just try to get an entirely new one?

Anyone gone through the process? I'd like to avoid being grounded for any extended time while this processes.
Old Jan 20, 19, 4:59 pm

Programs: AS DL
In the recent past, additional pages could be taped to a US passport but this is no longer done. I don't know about Swiss passports. Looks like you will have to get a new passport unless pages can be added. One may have to wait for the longest gap in one's travels and have it done on an expedited basis.
Old Jan 20, 19, 10:52 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the FT Europe Forum
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jan 21, 19, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by helvetic View Post
What are the best options? Can one order a new thicker passport to avoid this problem in the future? Should I lug an extension around on the same passport, or just try to get an entirely new one?
Just get a new one. AFAIK the passport is only available in the standard 40 pages format, and turnaround for receiving a new one is very quick (about two weeks). Just call your local office or Swiss representation and they'll tell you what the best option is
Old Jan 21, 19, 5:49 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
You can renew your Swiss passport without having to turn the old one in until it's ready, if you're willing to travel to your embassy or regional passport office In the past they seemed to offer passports with more pages but I hadn't seen that option when I renewed last year.
Old Jan 21, 19, 11:51 am
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; Shangrila Jade; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
No way to get a second passport while keeping the first one? I have some visas on this one I'd love to not have to renew. I do remember last time I renewed they were pretty draconian about cancelling my old passport, making holes through it and everything.
Old Jan 21, 19, 7:05 pm

No panic, you'll have to travel around carrying both new and old, cancelled (with or without holes) passports. Happens to millions of travellers as the validity of visas and passports hardly ever coincide.
farci and UKtravelbear like this.
Old Jan 24, 19, 11:51 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold
There are Swiss consulates in San Francisco and NYC you can renew your passports through. When I was first moving to Switzerland, I had to get a visa from the San Francisco consulate. That was kind of a pain as I lived in Seattle at the time. Years later, after I had acquired Swiss citizenship, I learned that you can use the consulate in Vancouver BC as it is closer to Seattle. I'm going to guess that the OP doesn't have dual US-CH citizenship, but you can always travel back to Switzerland using the Swiss ID card and a US passport if you do have dual US-Swiss citizenship.

Search this Thread