Reload this Page >

Best Central European cities for Decemeber snow

Old Jan 19, 19, 11:51 am
siw
Original Poster

Programs: AF-KL FB Plat.

I'm considering a trip in Central Europe for about a week in December with a friend who has never expereinced snow and cold countries, as my friends lives near the equator. I was thinking we'd get trains/planes covering this loop: Prague, Vienna, Salzburg, Innsbruck and Munich to visit cities (food, markets, architecture etc.) so not skiing/snowboarding etc. I was not considering Scandanavia and Baltic countries as the daylight hours will be lower there.

Are these cities guarenteed to have good snowfall or just a light dusting? It would be nicer to travel by train rather than fly but do the railways have lots of problems in winter? I'd welcome recommdations.
Old Jan 19, 19, 3:31 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
In December snow is not guaranteed in any of these cities and it could even be quite warm towards the beginning of the month. You will probably see some snow on the mountains around Salzburg. There is not much point flying between any of those cities over taking a train, except maybe Prague to Innsbruck (but there are no direct flights). Trains can experience problems but generally the same services are scheduled to operate in winter as in summer. Planes can also experience problems in winter.

I don't think the amount of daylight makes much of a difference between say Vienna and Stockholm. Maybe your friend should experience short days and then come back in summer to experience long days.
Old Jan 19, 19, 9:36 pm

If the purpose of the trip is to experience snow, perhaps it would be better to consider an Alpine ski resort instead of a few Central European cities. The relatively low chances of seeing/experiencing snow in December will, thus, increase tremendously. Perhaps you could then include the ski resort in the tour of those cities...

Last edited by KLouis; Jan 20, 19 at 7:44 am
Old Jan 20, 19, 7:09 am

Guaranteed snow and freezing temperatures in many places here in the mighty Balkans (mostly in the north and of course with a number of exceptions e.g. coastal areas etc.)

G

Last edited by AlicorporateUK; Jan 20, 19 at 7:20 am

Search this Thread