Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amsterdam hotels for 3 ladies in their 60?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Any suggestion for hotels in Amsterdam for three ladies in their 60's to stay that is located in good area and close to train?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Renee Gannaway
Any suggestion for hotels in Amsterdam for three ladies in their 60's to stay that is located in good area and close to train?
DoubleTree by Hilton Amsterdam Centraal Station?
bitterproffit and roadwarrier like this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
For 3 ladies you may wish to look at renting an apartment t give yourself space. One can use AirBNB-like services or Booking.com often has serviced apartment listings. Just be sure to ask if there is an elevator/lift or if the stairs are steep as most are in Amsterdam.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by JDiver
DoubleTree by Hilton Amsterdam Centraal Station?
This was a centrally located hotel for sure ^ with a delicious breakfast.

<mod hat on>

Please follow the redirect as we move your query.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:04 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Ink Hotel? Fairly central and tramway stop across the road.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
A major "red light" district (legal prostitution) is close to the central station. The area seems relatively safe, but you might not feel comfortable. Also, the area around the Dam (square) traditionally is where runaway teens, backpackers, and street drug dealers hang out, so my advice would be to aim for a hotel on the far side fo the Dam from the main train station, perhaps near the flower market or opera house. An up and coming mixed residential area with boutique hotels (that seems to cater more to 30-somethings IMO) is Jordan (spelling?). Depending on what you plan to do, you might want to consider a hotel in the museum district.

Price point? Preferred chain? Elite status?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
What is your budget and when are you planning on going?

Do you want a room/suite for all 3 of you sharing or a room each?

I like the Ink and also the Kimpton DeWitt but then again I have friends who believe the Ibis is sufficient for their needs - it depends what your needs and desires are.

Amsterdam has a good transport system so it's not always necessary to be right in the middle - it depends on what your plans are once there.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
A major "red light" district (legal prostitution) is close to the central station. The area seems relatively safe, but you might not feel comfortable.

The Double Tree next to the Amsterdam Centraal Train Station would make a good choice. The area is fine and mostly now a tourist trap with good restaurants (incl China town).

Also, the area around the Dam (square) traditionally is where runaway teens, backpackers, and street drug dealers hang out, so my advice would be to aim for a hotel on the far side fo the Dam from the main train station, perhaps near the flower market or opera house.
The city has worked hard to clean up this part of town and as I expect you don't look like people who will buy drugs off the street you should be fine. The Grand is a nice hotel, very centrally located.

An up and coming mixed residential area with boutique hotels (that seems to cater more to 30-somethings IMO) is Jordan (spelling?). Depending on what you plan to do, you might want to consider a hotel in the museum district.
The Jordaan area is actually a very expensive part of town but it does have some good but mainly boutique hotels. You'd need a tram from the station to get there. Lots of nice cafes and restaurants, boutique shops (google 9 straatjes/9 little streets) and near the Anne Frank museum.

You'll have a great time, wherever you end up. Amsterdam is beautiful!
deeannjd likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:48 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
The hotel I stay at near the train station is the Renaissance. I'd say it's less than a 10 minute walk, maybe closer to 5 if you walk fast, but away from the tracks and the red light district, on a nice quiet street. Right across the canal from the Jordaan area which, as others have said, has a lot of nice small restaurants and shops. It's further from the museum district (that's what you get if you want to be close to Centraal Station), but close to quite a few other things, depending on what your interests are. Even if you want to walk through the red light district it's maybe a 7-8 minute walk away.

Several of the recommendations others have made here are good locations as well.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:26 pm

We just got back from Amsterdam. We stayed at the Grand Hotel Amrath which is across the water from DoubleTree. The DoubleTree looks very modern where the Grand Amrath looks about 100+ years old. We all (my family including 12 years old son) loved the Grand Amrath. The room is huge. We have a superior room with a King bed and they added a very very comfortable rollaway bed for our son. The room has like 12 or 14 foot ceiling. And everything in the mini bars are free, refilled everyday. Evening has turn down service. It is about 7 min walk from the train station.

At the time when I booked the hotel, The Grand Amrath and DoubleTree were about the same rate. I booked the Grand Amrath because it had a slightly higher rating, and it was worth it. I am sure the DoubleTree is pretty good too and I am a Hilton Diamond member. But I am sure there will be no free mini bar LOL. As far as close to Red Light district, I didn't think it was a big deal. We walked thru the Red Light district on a tour and there is really not much to see. I saw kids walked around with their parents everywhere. I think if the train station is close to the hotel, then you will be close to red light district no matter what.

You could get a hotel closer to the Dam square.. we took the walking tour there too. The tour guide shows us a few hotels including the W... but she said she would not recommend it as it is really over priced.. like $400+ euro a night. But if you have a chance, you should go up to the roof of the W. It is a bar and an amazing view of the city including the palace. It is free to go up there.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the ideas
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:33 pm

My favorite hotel in AMS is the V Nesplein. Wonderful restaurant and beautiful, clean rooms. Two blocks form Dam Sq.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Check out Hotel Estherea on Singel.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, AA Advantage, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
My daughter and I enjoyed the Doubletree near Centraal Station. Easy walk from train station which is convenient whether arriving/departing by train or through Schiphol. Ask for a room overlooking the city on a higher floor and don't forget to check out the Sky bar for a beautiful view of Amsterdam. Register with Hilton Honors and activate all associated promotions for the most rewards.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:48 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'd suggest the hotel Pulizer, its on the Prinsengracht in the nine street area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.